Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why on earth would you pay rent in cash :eek:
    :D

A lot of people like to be paid in cash, 3/4 of the places I rented rooms it was cash. Never bothered me in the slightest particularly the last place it was very much mutually beneficial, low rent for me and you can guess the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I’ve gotten to stage that the only cash transactions I make are: work leaving cards and when my child’s class go on a trip and they need fare/entrance. Almost cashless now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Dardania wrote: »
    I’ve gotten to stage that the only cash transactions I make are: work leaving cards and when my child’s class go on a trip and they need fare/entrance. Almost cashless now
    And stamps... I'd to borrow a euro off my 8 year old today to get a stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Missus has just got card and withdrew cash via atm and charged 12 c ref Irish stamp duty for cash.

Is this the case for any atm withdrawal in Ireland.

What about withdrawal fees in The UK or USA as heading to both soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Yes, if the card is registered in Ireland you get charged stamp duty same as any atm card only revolut do it instantly rather than at the end of the year

I've never been charged to use it abroad apart from the ATMs that charge you (plenty in usa charge 3 dollars a go to withdraw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Is it 30 euros stamp duty? What if I don't withdraw any money from ATM?
    gwalk wrote: »
    Yes, if the card is registered in Ireland you get charged stamp duty same as any atm card only revolut do it instantly rather than at the end of the year

I've never been charged to use it abroad apart from the ATMs that charge you (plenty in usa charge 3 dollars a go to withdraw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

€30 is for a credit card. If you’ve no ATM use there’s no duty.

The total annual ATM stamp duty charge of 12c per transaction is now capped at €2.50 for a basic ATM card and €5 for combined ATM/debit cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Probably been asked before

Revolut now asking for verification every top up (put in 3 digit code from back of card then my bank, PTSB, texts me a verification code)

Is there anyway around this?

Fanny **** wrote: »

Revolut now asking for verification every top up (put in 3 digit code from back of card then my bank, PTSB, texts me a verification code)

I get that all the time with KBC, its mastercard that does it for me not Revolut

• Advertisement

Fanny **** wrote: »

I had it when I got a new BOI card (previous one expired), it went on for a while (somewhere between 6 and 10 top ups can’t remember exactly) but it stopped eventually and I don’t get asked any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

When using card on London underground same principle as Oyster. Tap in and out?

When using card on London underground same principle as Oyster. Tap in and out?

yes make sure you tap off

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes. Keep in mind TFL will take a small deposit on first tap, and then calculate your total charge later - usually gets taken early the following morning.

If your using the card and not Apple Pay, disable the GPS security feature as it won’t work correctly when underground.

Theres a TFL app that you can use and register cards to also, yet to try this though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

i signed my mother up with the refer a friend where i get 10e and she gets 10e

her card arrived today, can anybody tell me if she needs to make a chip and pin transaction to get her free tenner, or will just putting it in an atm and entering the pin trigger it?

BArra wrote: »

her card arrived today, can anybody tell me if she needs to make a chip and pin transaction to get her free tenner, or will just putting it in an atm and entering the pin trigger it?

what do the terms and conditions of the offer say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

BArra wrote: »

Get €10 for each friend who signs up, adds money via bank transfer or card, verifies their identity and orders a physical card. They'll get €10 after their first card payment is completed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just used it in Poland. Tapped the card but also had to put in my PIN. Never had to do that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭VG31

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Just used it in Poland. Tapped the card but also had to put in my PIN. Never had to do that before.

From Wikipedia: "For transactions over or equal to 50 PLN PIN is required"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_payment

I had the same thing in Russia, you could use contactless for any amount but over 1000 RUB, you had to enter your PIN. They should introduce that here, it's much faster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^^
    Was much quicker than having to put card in the machine alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Kat1170 wrote: »

Had it in Poland last week also, thought it was brilliant, so much better than putting the card into the machine first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭dollylama

Who sets the limit on contactless in Ireland? Is it the banks who set on €30, is it the card networks or is it the terminal providers.. Elavon etc.?? Is there anything stopping Revolut allowing contactless purchases above €30 as I see quite a few terminals suggest contactless on the screen for amounts above €30 (for phone payments I'm guessing)

A useful thing if Revolut could do it is that when Auto topup is enabled, if you go to put through a transaction above your remaining balance, that Revolut would first attempt to topup and then complete the transaction instead of declining as they do at present. I find topup by card is instant so I imagine this is something they could do by delaying the response to the terminal for a few seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Google Pay works for any amount so it's not terminal specific

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dollylama wrote: »
    A useful thing if Revolut could do it is that when Auto topup is enabled, if you go to put through a transaction above your remaining balance, that Revolut would first attempt to topup and then complete the transaction instead of declining as they do at present. I find topup by card is instant so I imagine this is something they could do by delaying the response to the terminal for a few seconds
    It works a treat with Curve so there's no technological reason Revolut couldn't implement it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Google Pay works for any amount so it's not terminal specific
    A tokenized system is used for Google Pay over €30 (here) so it's not quite the same thing.

To answer the question the limit is set by the country (and so the terminal) you make the purchase in. Nothing to do with the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I had it when I got a new BOI card (previous one expired), it went on for a while (somewhere between 6 and 10 top ups can’t remember exactly) but it stopped eventually and I don’t get asked any more.

Yeah it's a new card - hopefully stops as it's quite annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

TheChizler wrote: »
    A tokenized system is used for Google Pay over €30 (here) so it's not quite the same thing.

To answer the question the limit is set by the country (and so the terminal) you make the purchase in. Nothing to do with the card.

The limit for contactless on cards is set by government.

Apple and Google pay have higher limits due to the token approach mentioned above. And here it is down to the shop to decide if they want to accept it or not.

So the retailer could not allow contactless over 30€ via apple/Google etc.

I haven’t seen it myself but I’ve heard some people saying they could tap their card for amounts well over 30 in some counties (and no pin request).

Tesco don’t appear to allow it, I very very rarely shop there and was buying an expensive bottle of whiskey on offer. Tapped apple pay and it was declined for over contactless limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The limit for contactless on cards is set by government.

Apple and Google pay have higher limits due to the token approach mentioned above. And here it is down to the shop to decide if they want to accept it or not.

- It's my understanding that Visa and Mastercard decide on the limit -currently €30 and not the Irish Government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I haven’t seen it myself but I’ve heard some people saying they could tap their card for amounts well over 30 in some counties (and no pin request).

Tesco don’t appear to allow it, I very very rarely shop there and was buying an expensive bottle of whiskey on offer. Tapped apple pay and it was declined for over contactless limit.

Both Tesco and Penneys have their terminals restricted to €30 regardless of contactless method used.
    I think it may be just a lack of understanding of how contactless works and the fact that digital wallets can go above €30. The amount of outlets that tell me it can't and then are shocked when I "try it anyway" and it works.
    I don't know if there is a limit but I have gone as high as €700 contactless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement