Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - It's my understanding that Visa and Mastercard decide on the limit -currently €30 and not the Irish Government.
    It actually varies by country, and even by bank and card within countries, so not Visa or Mastercard. Not sure its government either after looking a bit more into it. Seems to be more of an agreement between banks but I can't find anything definite on who dictates the floor limit used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Unusual problem when I used my Revolut card for the first time yesterday. I activated the card at an in-house Applegreen ATM and withdrew €20 as a test. All good. Then I went to the counter and tapped the card for €15 petrol. Again all good. Looking at my account, there is a pending entry for .12c described as "Irish Stamp Duty for cash at Applegreen"

Secondly, the amount I tapped for petrol is showing as "XXX County Fire Services HQ" (XXX being the name of the County where it was used). The amount is right. I've tapped my usual Visa Debit card here many times and it appears as Applegreen, XXX as normal

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Unusual problem when I used my Revolut card for the first time yesterday. I activated the card at an in-house Applegreen ATM and withdrew €20 as a test. All good. Then I went to the counter and tapped the card for €15 petrol. Again all good. Looking at my account, there is a pending entry for .12c described as "Irish Stamp Duty for cash at Applegreen"

Secondly, the amount I tapped for petrol is showing as "XXX County Fire Services HQ" (XXX being the name of the County where it was used). The amount is right. I've tapped my usual Visa Debit card here many times and it appears as Applegreen, XXX as normal

Any thoughts?

You were charged 12c stamp duty for the withdrawal of cash

sometimes the names can come up incorrect initially but they tend to revert to the correct merchant afterwards - happened to me twice i think, not regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

gwalk wrote: »
    You were charged 12c stamp duty for the withdrawal of cash

sometimes the names can come up incorrect initially but they tend to revert to the correct merchant afterwards - happened to me twice i think, not regularly

Thanks for that. I don’t intend to use it for withdrawals of cash, but is that a standard charge for every withdrawal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks for that. I don’t intend to use it for withdrawals of cash, but is that a standard charge for every withdrawal?

Yes

12c up to a max of €2.50 for an atm only card or €5 for an ATM/debit card which is what the Revolut card is.

The issue here is traditional banks charge you this once a year and you barely see it as it’s a line item under €5 and probably amongst other fees. Revolut have to charge it right away as there’s no guarantee that you’ll keep a balance on your Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

bromley52 wrote: »
    I don't know if there is a limit but I have gone as high as €700 contactless.

I've heard it's 3k with google pay but never seen anything confirming that

Highest I've tapped for is €1600, they were very impressed :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    I've heard it's 3k with google pay but never seen anything confirming that

Highest I've tapped for is €1600, they were very impressed :pac:
    I once read on a Google site that the actual Google Pay limit is €1M, but your bank's own card transaction limit will kick in way before that. It would be nice to be able to test it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

BArra wrote: »
    i signed my mother up with the refer a friend where i get 10e and she gets 10e

her card arrived today, can anybody tell me if she needs to make a chip and pin transaction to get her free tenner, or will just putting it in an atm and entering the pin trigger it?

It won't work in an ATM because of the 12c card duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Stamp duty charged by the Government. Think there's a max of €5 a year as it's (more than likely) used for ATM and debit transactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

TheChizler wrote: »
    It actually varies by country, and even by bank and card within countries, so not Visa or Mastercard. Not sure its government either after looking a bit more into it. Seems to be more of an agreement between banks but I can't find anything definite on who dictates the floor limit used.

- Yes other countries different but pretty sure it's Visa and MasterCard here. Only evidence was an old article talking about Visa increasing the limit from €15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Trying to top up my Revolut EUR account from AIB, by using IBAN.

Would it be considered as "Tansfer funds to another Irish account" or "SEPA transfer"?

Would there be any fees?

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Would it be considered as "Tansfer funds to another Irish account" or "SEPA transfer"?

Would there be any fees?

It's a SEPA transfer, and I think AIB will charge you a debit fee of 0.20c for that (see 'Account Transaction Fees')

Would there be any fees?

SEPA.

Instant top up if you use a debit card though.

Thank you all!
    Wheety wrote: »
    SEPA.

Instant top up if you use a debit card though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Newbie to the Revolut card , received my card last week , activated and topped up in euro .

Heading to Uk on Saturday for the day and will use it in shops / pubs .

Do I just convert my euro balance to sterling via the app and shop away with the card ? That’s the way to save on bank charges / conversion rates etc ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Newbie to the Revolut card , received my card last week , activated and topped up in euro .

Do I just convert my euro balance to sterling via the app and shop away with the card ? That’s the way to save on bank charges / conversion rates etc ?
    Thanks

No, spend the euro's, take the daily rates.

Just a quick query.

I cancelled an order from Amazon 2 days ago but haven't received the funds yet in my Revolut. Any idea how long does it usually take? It a relatively large amount for me & I don't want to top up again using debit card.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

andrew1977 wrote: »

Thanks

Just be aware, that Revolut charge a small exchange fee at the weekends, not much but it can be avoided.

I'm just back from London, and I exchanged my Euros to Sterling, midweek, before I went, to avoid the charge. So when you use your card, it will automatically use the Sterling money if on it, and if there isn't enough sterling it converts out of your Euro balance.

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Just be aware, that Revolut charge a small exchange fee at the weekends, not much but it can be avoided.
    0.005 of the amount, up to you but hardly worth the risk of keeping a balance in Sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Just a quick query.

I cancelled an order from Amazon 2 days ago but haven't received the funds yet in my Revolut. Any idea how long does it usually take? It a relatively large amount for me & I don't want to top up again using debit card.

Thanks

Depends on Amazon t&c's. Think it's usually 3-5 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

There are currently some reports of several phishing schemes targeting revolut users carried out via Sms requests with data obtained from a mastercard priceless data leek.

TheBigEvil wrote: »

I'm just back from London, and I exchanged my Euros to Sterling, midweek, before I went, to avoid the charge. So when you use your card, it will automatically use the Sterling money if on it, and if there isn't enough sterling it converts out of your Euro balance.

Just to clarify for newbies, it won't just take the balance from your Euro account in the above scenario. The full amount you're trying to spend has to be available in 1 single currency.

"Cards" is back out into it's own tab now. Better than having to go through the dashboard. My app updated this morning on Android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Fanny **** wrote: »
    Yeah it's a new card - hopefully stops as it's quite annoying

this happened this morning to me with a TSB card, not new card or anything wonder why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Wheety wrote: »
    "Cards" is back out into it's own tab now. Better than having to go through the dashboard. My app updated this morning on Android.

Hopefully they get rid of the Visa Verified rubbish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Mr.S wrote: »
    That is set by Visa. Why is it rubbish? I much prefer verifying via the app than text or password.

I have Revolut visa card and I've seen a lot about this Visa verifying but I've never encountered it. I have experienced it on websites in the past but not in the last couple of years, so I thought it wasn't a thing anymore. Do you mind telling me what it is and how it works on Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Mr.S wrote: »
    That is set by Visa. Why is it rubbish? I much prefer verifying via the app than text or password.

Because it doesnt work properly .

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110942688&postcount=9005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Made a purchase on Amazon this morning, showing on Revolut still as 0.00 - how long does it take to show up properly? Never seen this before, purchases are normally instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Made a purchase on Amazon this morning, showing on Revolut still as 0.00 - how long does it take to show up properly? Never seen this before, purchases are normally instant.

Amazon generally don’t bill you right away. Could take another while for them to take payment

• Advertisement

Think the 0.00 is a test amount to check it's a valid card. Amazon don't charge until the item is ready to be dispatched. Just more noticeable with Revolut as you're used to instant notifications.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement