Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The 1% cash back only works up to a max of €10 a month tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

Wheety wrote: »
    Is it your own Gmail account? Have you tried any of the recovery options?

I was able to recover my account. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

F1ngers wrote: »
    Curious if anyone has set up their US account(BIC/IBAN) on E*Trade?
    Have my Irish bank details registered, thought I'd ask before I make any withdrawals.

Purely to avoid using their US$ to € conversion.

Bit of a long shot, but hoping someone has any experience of same.

Yes, I'm now using Revolut to transfer from eTrade works perfectly, no fees, and better exchange rate, and can choose when /if to convert to Euro.

The first two times I transferred from eTrade I was asked for verification .... explanation of source of the funds, copies of eTrade execution form etc ... no big deal ..... now I send them via chat to Revolt as soon as I execute the trade / Wire and don't get asked for them by Revolut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I just tried to withdraw €90 from an atm but the transaction couldn’t be processed. I was still charged €90 on the app and the girl at the shop said it’s probably because the atm is missing €50 or €20 notes. Can I apply to revolut for a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Lads I just tried to withdraw €90 from an atm but the transaction couldn’t be processed. I was still charged €90 on the app and the girl at the shop said it’s probably because the atm is missing €50 or €20 notes. Can I apply to revolut for a refund?

It's probably just pending on your Revolut account and will time out in a few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

towger wrote: »
    Yes, I'm now using Revolut to transfer from eTrade works perfectly, no fees, and better exchange rate, and can choose when /if to convert to Euro.

The first two times I transferred from eTrade I was asked for verification .... explanation of source of the funds, copies of eTrade execution form etc ... no big deal ..... now I send them via chat to Revolt as soon as I execute the trade / Wire and don't get asked for them by Revolut.

Just to add, to avoid any potential issues, make sure your name is the same on both .. i.e. not Patrick on one, Pat on the other ... I did have that situation but fixed it on eTrade before adding Revolut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,045 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Revolut doesnt seem to work on Ticketmaster anymore.
    It keeps giving an error on the Ticketmaster page after verifying on the app.
    Anyone else encountered this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Yeah had that earlier, ended up using my Curve card to pay with Revolut

Frustrating the new authorisation thing when it doesn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Did Amazon always take the money for something straight away when it is "fulfilled by Amazon" or is this a new thing.
    Never noticed it happen before, was always only taken when dispatched.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I've noticed that recently. It worked for me on the third or fourth try though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,045 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've noticed that recently. It worked for me on the third or fourth try though.

I gave up on the second attempt .:o
    It has failed a few times on me ,I wasn't sure if it was the card so I created a new one and that failed too.
    Very annoying ,Ticketmaster/Revolut would want to sort it out .

sonyvision wrote: »
    I always top up with my credit card. Classed as a POS online transaction so KBC give me back 1% of the value.... I transfer the cash to my current account put it into my savinga account fir 5p days then clear my credit card..... I get my cash back, interested earned on savings account and feels like I am beating the system!!!

Are you 100% sure there is no cash advance fee on this for a KBC card? It would be a very useful for managing finances if true?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Are you 100% sure there is no cash advance fee on this for a KBC card? It would be a very useful for managing finances if true?

I've never been charged by KBC anyway for using my credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'm with KBC and haven't yet been charged a cash advance fee for loading Revolut from my CC

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

Thanks all, it would be very helpful for me this month to load my card from the credit card due to a number of expenses which I can then spread over 56 days rather than have to pay by the end of September.

I have a feeling it is something that will be stamped out though sooner or later just hopefully not in the next few days!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Thanks all, it would be very helpful for me this month to load my card from the credit card due to a number of expenses which I can then spread over 56 days rather than have to pay by the end of September.

I have a feeling it is something that will be stamped out though sooner or later just hopefully not in the next few days!

I have done it once or twice when I was in a pinch.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Mr.S wrote: »
    Am I missing something, why not just use your credit card in the first place for those purchases - what’s the benefit of using revolut?

You use your credit card for the purchase(s). Then when your credit card statement comes, you top up your Revolut with your credit card to the amount that's due on your credit card and then pay off your credit card with your Revolut balance.

Has the effect of moving your credit card balance on to next month's statement interest-free.

Not very sustainable long-term financial management but I can see how it'd get you out of a short-term pickle.

The credit card companies are surely gonna crack down on this, sooner or later, especially if more and more people use their credit cards for Revolut top ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Quackster wrote: »
    You use your credit card for the purchase(s). Then when your credit card statement comes, you top up your Revolut with your credit card to the amount that's due on your credit card and then pay off your credit card with your Revolut balance.

Has the effect of moving your credit card balance on to next month's statement interest-free.
    My AIB Click card has an explicit condition that when you make a payment it comes off the most recent transactions, so your still end up paying interest on the earlier transactions until your clear the entire balance. Surprised if that kind of loophole exists.

Am I missing something, why not just use your credit card in the first place for those purchases - what’s the benefit of using revolut?

Expanses were before before the cut off date for the September bill, planned to use curve to spend the money from my current account and then switch it to the credit card after the cut off date but my curve account was limited due to only having signed up so it was declined.

If I take the money from my credit card today I owe it back at the end of the month but after the 6th I won’t owe it until the end of October giving me more time to clear it (which I always do).

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

TheChizler wrote: »
    My AIB Click card has an explicit condition that when you make a payment it comes off the most recent transactions, so your still end up paying interest on the earlier transactions until your clear the entire balance. Surprised if that kind of loophole exists.

Yeah, obviously you have to pay off your entire balance for this 'trick' to work. The loophole exists simply because credit card companies are not treating Revolut top-ups as cash advances.

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, obviously you have to pay off your entire balance for this 'trick' to work. The loophole exists simply because credit card companies are not treating Revolut top-ups as cash advances.

Ah but then how do you pay off your existing balance plus your Revolut withdrawal with the same amount you just withdrew?

Leaving aside the Revolut stuff being discussed if I am understanding what you are saying correctly then it’s time for you to get a new card as the one you have is rubbish. It’s not a loophole it’s how cards work, or any card I’ve had anyway.

Are you saying that if you have a balance of day 300 euro when you get your statement for August and then in September you spend 200 euro that if you make a payment in September for 300 that it won’t clear your August balance? If so time for a new card as you are not being given your correct interest free periods etc.

Leaving aside the Revolut stuff being discussed if I am understanding what you are saying correctly then it’s time for you to get a new card as the one you have is rubbish. It’s not a loophole it’s how cards work, or any card I’ve had anyway.

Are you saying that if you have a balance of day 300 euro when you get your statement for August and then in September you spend 200 euro that if you make a payment in September for 300 that it won’t clear your August balance? If so time for a new card as you are not being given your correct interest free periods etc.
    That's my understanding. I've never let it happen though so it's never been tested, I only use it for work expenses or big purchases I need to make at certain times of the month in between scheduled debits and credits so it's worked out perfect for me.

Edit: Just checked there and I had it backwards. Payments come off previous statements first and current last. Seems weird cause it essentially allows you to pay off your credit card with your credit card (except for the interest), and cause I thought they'd work it so you get charged more interest on older transactions, rather than clearing them first.

That's my understanding. I've never let it happen though so it's never been tested, I only use it for work expenses or big purchases I need to make at certain times of the month in between scheduled debits and credits so it's worked out perfect for me.

Edit: Just checked there and I had it backwards. Payments come off previous statements first and current last. Seems weird cause it essentially allows you to pay off your credit card with your credit card (except for the interest), and cause I thought they'd work it so you get charged more interest on older transactions, rather than clearing them first.

THE other way around would make no sense though, it would be completely at odds with how a credit card works.

You are given up to 56 days credit, if I make a purchase on the 7th of September for 500 euro that 500 euro is owed back by the 31st of October. If I make a purchase on the 28th of October for 500 euro that is owned back on the 30th November.

So if I was to pay in 500 euro on the 29th of Oct and it came off the latest purchase first I would not be getting any credit period at all on the purchase made in the 28th and would be totally at odds with how a credit card works.

You essentially are treating a credit card as if it has 30 days free credit rather than up to 56 days free credit. My card very rarely has a 0 balance but I still never pay any interest as I make sure to clear the previous months balance when it’s due but I don’t need to clear the full balance as purchases made after the previous months cut off aren’t due until the end of the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Anybody used the Revolut Lounge access in Airports?

find it good value?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Depends on the lounge, some are great. Check reviews before you purchase a pass.

It works fine - the lounge itself is very important to chose right as Mr.S says.

The discount Revolut offer versus off the street prices is good - if you factor in the cost of a meal & a beer at a restaurant it is worthwhile (as long as the lounge offers that - shakes fist at any of the AENA lounges)

See a review here: https://youtu.be/vBH6ysTs2sg?t=1216

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

"You're 10E richer, well done, 1 of your friends have accepted your invitation"

But the money hasnt appeared in my account?
    Card activated by chip and pin

ANy ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

youngblood wrote: »
    "You're 10E richer, well done, 1 of your friends have accepted your invitation"

But the money hasnt appeared in my account?
    Card activated by chip and pin

ANy ideas?

Weird, but I don't think accepting the invitation gets you the €10. They have to actually sign up. I signed up my sister on Tuesday and as soon as she verified her account I got the €10. Still, the message you got does say you're €10 richer. Ask support what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

They could have spotted him entering his code/pattern or he may not have had any security on the phone. It's poor that there's no biometrics on top up unless you use Apple|Google Pay.

The problem with that €500 withdrawal limit, it's a catch 22, if he was trying to withdraw the money for a legit reason he'd probably be pissed at the limit. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

arrowman wrote: »
    I have a physical (as opposed to virtual) mastercard Revolut card which is due to expire at the end of next month.

When the replacement card is reissued am I right in saying that it will be a Visa card that is issued?
    Based on what I have read here that seems to be the case (I can't find he exact post I read this in a while back)

The only reason I ask is that I booked and paid for some eTickets (to the Rugby World Cup as it happens) using the card as I got into a prioriy category since Mastercard are one of the tournament sponsors) and I think I have to use the original payment card to verify that i am the original purchaser and maybe even have the card on hand when i present the tickets at the game (to prove identity although i am not sure about this point)

Might be tricky to do this if the card is expired and has been replaced with a Visa card which has a different number.

Can anyone confirm that it will be a Visa card that will be issued and no option to get another Mastercard instead

I now have a prompt on the app to apply for a replacement card but it seems that the only option for a basic level user now is a VISA physical card. I have the MASTERCARD physical card currently and my other everyday card is a VISA so I quite liked having a MASTERCARD option.

But it looks like the only way to get that when my current card expires is to go for one of the premium options with a monthly charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement