Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

These new regulations are there to protect us but in reality, it makes so much more difficult to do some activity.

And some implementation is really bad (like the PTSB SMS option to log on or approve Visa transactions as there are still mobile phone providers which do not allow those SMS through like Virgin).

The revolut option of approval (in-app) is relatively easy so that is a plus but I wonder how they are going to ensure that they comply with the logi regulations as I'm yet to see a "trusted device" option pop up and the recovery process is what leads to a let to signification fraud recently.

Good news this morning for me, all reverted transactions from the last couple of days have now been charged as "delayed" transaction.

No need to contact any vendors and this time around it also means there is no speculation as to when they finally will be charged.

I still have reverted transaction from over a year ago that are not processed again. Vendors say we got the money, Revolut says contact vendor we never paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

have an issue since last night, trying to put 10e on my monese, seems to go through fine after i 3d secure verify via revolut, but no 10e goes into the monese and no error :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

BArra wrote: »
    have an issue since last night, trying to put 10e on my monese, seems to go through fine after i 3d secure verify via revolut, but no 10e goes into the monese and no error :confused:

mine wouldnt work with the physical card but worked with the virtual one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

thanks, tried to add a virtual but added 3 revolut cards (original, pride, rev-p) already trying to top it up so i am blocked from adding a new card on monese for 1 month, what a pile of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Late to this Revolut party as I heard one many times but now only interested in getting one.

Am I right to believe the good use of this is buying stuff online (you don't pay zero comission just what ever the currency rates are), good for travelling abroad as you can use it as a credit card / atm card, and finally you get a UK bank account right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Late to this Revolut party as I heard one many times but now only interested in getting one.

Am I right to believe the good use of this is buying stuff online (you don't pay zero comission just what ever the currency rates are), good for travelling abroad as you can use it as a credit card / atm card, and finally you get a UK bank account right?

pretty much yeah, its very handy for travelling

only thing is its a debit card not credit

i Pm'd you a link for a free card and 10 €/£ back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just signed up today, have a virtual card only which I linked to Google pay

But heading in holidays etc to states / Canada again soon and saw some nice fees on my Visa debit card from Bank of Ireland

Is it more beneficial for me to order a card from revolut and use that loaded with euros ? Avoiding commission / fees

Any advice welcome

Just seen also people car refer others. If anyone wants to PM me a link for a card I'll happily go with it ! Only signed up today so dunno if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

But heading in holidays etc to states / Canada again soon and saw some nice fees on my Visa debit card from Bank of Ireland

Is it more beneficial for me to order a card from revolut and use that loaded with euros ? Avoiding commission / fees

Any advice welcome

Just seen also people car refer others. If anyone wants to PM me a link for a card I'll happily go with it ! Only signed up today so dunno if that makes a difference

I would definitely recommend getting a physical card for your travels, I had one in NYC and found it really useful.

I've just PMed you a referral code also not sure if it will work if you already have the app etc though but worth a try for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

thelad95 wrote: »
    Color me confused but why didn't Revolut just deduct 200 GBP? Am I missing something?

I guess the Euro equivalent of 200GBP was €221 with revolut as opposed to €242 via ATM offered exchange rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Any advice welcome

Think the referrals are only for signing up. When are you going away? Usually if you wait a couple of weeks, they send you a message offering a free card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Using revolut to pay Bill's,is there a limit on a standard card for transfers?
    Can you pay someone 2k so it directly goes into their account?
    Or transfer a similar amount from your credit or debit card to them for instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Reminder that we have a forum for posting Referral codes.

Please read the charter before posting as it has some unique rules:> LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,139 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I like that you can exchange money whenever you want, even if you aren't ready to buy anything. I need 5k in sterling by the end of the year to pay for a trip to Peru that I booked in the UK. I managed to get some sterling at 1.06 a few weeks ago. I had only joined & I was restricted in how much I could top up with my credit card. By the time they let me top up by a decent amount sterling had claimed back up. It was 1.12 earlier today.

There is huge savings by using revolut over PayPal or a regular card. There are decent savings over Amazon exchange rates and they are pretty good compared to most

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭User1998

Hoping someone could help me out.. I’m looking to transfer £ to a UK bank account.. How is this done? Do I send £ or € to my Revolut account from my Irish bank account? And then send £ from my Revolut account to the UK account? Thanks in advance

User1998 wrote: »
    Hoping someone could help me out.. I’m looking to transfer £ to a UK bank account.. How is this done? Do I send £ or € to my Revolut account from my Irish bank account? And then send £ from my Revolut account to the UK account? Thanks in advance

Top up your account in Euro. Debit/Credit card for instant top up. Transfer money to Sterling in app. Send by swift (sort code and account number) from your Sterling account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

User1998 wrote: »

Just to add, my transfer was free and literally arrived in an hour that evening to my UK account.

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Just to add, my transfer was free and literally arrived in an hour that evening to my UK account.

Wrong log in? :pac:

Yeah, swift transactions can be almost instant in some circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Not sure if someone mentioned this already. But my credit card gives me 1% cash back on all online transaction.

However I have noticed that if I top-up my Revolut account via Apple Pay using my credit card, it sees it as an online transaction and gives me 1% cash back. So basically get cash back on all my revolut purchases :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Not sure if someone mentioned this already. But my credit card gives me 1% cash back on all online transaction.

However I have noticed that if I top-up my Revolut account via Apple Pay using my credit card, it sees it as an online transaction and gives me 1% cash back. So basically get cash back on all my revolut purchases :)

What card gives 1% cashback ?
    Is that uncapped per month ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Zardoz wrote: »
    What card gives 1% cashback ?
    Is that uncapped per month ?

KBC credit card, and 10€ a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

sonyvision wrote: »

Yep. That is who I am with :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

An explorer acc with PTSB pays cashback.

I got a mail from kBC about changes to terms and conditions on the cc. One thing for example is they are changing topping up a betting account to be considered a cash advance. I wonder will that or something similar catch out topping up Revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

I got a mail from kBC about changes to terms and conditions on the cc. One thing for example is they are changing topping up a betting account to be considered a cash advance. I wonder will that or something similar catch our topping up Revolut?

Only one way to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I see.
    10 euro a month is fairly pathetic ,but better than nothing I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I got a mail from kBC about changes to terms and conditions on the cc. One thing for example is they are changing topping up a betting account to be considered a cash advance. I wonder will that or something similar catch our topping up Revolut?

A lot of UK cards already treat transfers to revolut as cash advances,so we better hope that doesn't happen here :eek:

Mr.S wrote: »
    AIB platinum is the best and that “only” gives you €225 @ 0.5%.

Cashback rewards aren’t a thing here. Sadly.

You can blame the EU for the lack of cash back or miles reward cards. Ever since the EU introduced caps on the interchange fee that card issues can get those type of cards are mostly gone.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Who pays for those CC transaction fees, the retailer?

Of note, a nice little bonus while traveling outside the EU with a metal Revolut card is that you get 1% cashback on all purchases. Not great, but a nice little earner - especially if you take a gamble and have the cashback paid back in Crypto :pac:

The retailer pays their acquirer merchant a fee for the card processing. From that fee a "kickback" is paid to the issuing bank. The EU limited that percentage and claimed it would lead to lower prices (it did not).

The reason you get 1% from revolut outside the EU is that they still get the higher interchange fee outside the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

The retailer pays their acquirer merchant a fee for the card processing. From that fee a "kickback" is paid to the issuing bank. The EU limited that percentage and claimed it would lead to lower prices (it did not).

The reason you get 1% from revolut outside the EU is that they still get the higher interchange fee outside the EU.

I wonder though as move to more and more transactions using card, will the higher volume make up the profit?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement