Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Is this card subject to govt stamp duty at all?

As it's issued from outside the state, stamp duty doesn't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

If I top up in pounds, do I still get no fees or do I need to top up in euro then convert?

TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

phobia2011 wrote: »
    If I top up in pounds, do I still get no fees or do I need to top up in euro then convert?

TIA

If you top it up in pounds, your bank will charge you a fee.

So top up in Euro and then convert in the app (once in the app there are no fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ceroc81

You should top-up using the currency that the card that your taking money from, if its in £ then top-up with that else your bank can add (usually 1-2%) to convert it.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

So if i were buying from amazon.co.uk .....
    Would the best way be to top up the card in euro, convert it in the app and pay for the item in stg?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Correct.

Use the in-app exchange to tell you exactly what you need to top up in EUR to have the correct STG amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

So if i were buying from amazon.co.uk .....
    Would the best way be to top up the card in euro, convert it in the app and pay for the item in stg?

Don't convert it. Pay in sterling on Amazon. You'll geta notification of Revolut right after saying how much it was in euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

How long does it usually take to receive the money into my account after sending them via bank transfer?

I have sent it since Monday (3 days ago) and still haven't received anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

So I ran into my first issue yesterday.

I placed a rather small order with a UK company which offers free shipping to Ireland and I paid with revolut in £ as the websites own € rate was bad.

Revolut provided authorization for the charge but the order went onto hold.

When I contacted the supplier I got told that because the card is a UK prepaid card and address verification was not successful (check order address is the same as revolut) they can not release the order until I provide them with a copy of the credit card statement and passport. Because Revolut does not provide statements, they agreed to any other utility statement.

They claim the problem is that the card is coded as UK but has an IE billing address that the address verification failed and this transaction was flagged as fraud with their credit card acquirer.

So either I send them massive amount of documentation or change to an Irish card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It may not even hit until next Tuesday - your far better using your debit card to top up if you have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Just signed up and got an extra €7 so happy out(need to buy stuff online and i'm locked out of my 3money card >:|)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Love the card , i live up north but use euros a lot.
    So its great to save on my own bank charges :)

Quick question ,

Going on holiday to Thailand.
    Will the card work there fine? Just load up on a dollars/gbp/euro and use cash machine over there?
    Will there be no fees except for local?

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Love the card , i live up north but use euros a lot.
    So its great to save on my own bank charges :)

Quick question ,

Going on holiday to Thailand.
    Will the card work there fine? Just load up on a dollars/gbp/euro and use cash machine over there?
    Will there be no fees except for local?

Thai Baht is a supported currency, so when you pay or use an ATM just make sure to ensure you get charged in THB rather than using dynamic currency conversion.

However if you use an ATM remember that there is a 200 THB extra charge imposed by Thai Banks (not Revolut). You might try to use a Citibank ATM which for some cards from the EU does not charge it but as the card is coded as UK you might still get hit. In any case, the ATM should show you a warning about this.

Thai Baht is a supported currency, so when you pay or use an ATM just make sure to ensure you get charged in THB rather than using dynamic currency conversion.

However if you use an ATM remember that there is a 200 THB extra charge imposed by Thai Banks (not Revolut). You might try to use a Citibank ATM which for some cards from the EU does not charge it but as the card is coded as UK you might still get hit. In any case, the ATM should show you a warning about this.

My understanding is that , when offered at ATM i choose local currency (BAHT)
    I will get the standard 200 baht charge as per any card.

If i use Revolut card , there will be no further charges?

Do i need to register card for Thailand ? it wont get blocked or anything

My understanding is that , when offered at ATM i choose local currency (BAHT)
    I will get the standard 200 baht charge as per any card.

If i use Revolut card , there will be no further charges?

Do i need to register card for Thailand ? it wont get blocked or anything

I can not speak as to the fraud protection methods that Revolut is using so I don't know if ATM in Thailand would trigger something but in principle there should not be a problem.

As you say, just choose THB on the ATM, accept the 200 THB charge (some ATM's still do 180 THB) and off you go. If you withdraw less than 10000 THB some ATM's don't charge the fee. Just make sure you read the screen carefully to save some money.

I can not speak as to the fraud protection methods that Revolut is using so I don't know if ATM in Thailand would trigger something but in principle there should not be a problem.

As you say, just choose THB on the ATM, accept the 200 THB charge (some ATM's still do 180 THB) and off you go. If you withdraw less than 10000 THB some ATM's don't charge the fee. Just make sure you read the screen carefully to save some money.

Perfect thanks for that :)
    reassuring , i got the card for this trip so nice to double check and know where i stand.
    Thanks again

Perfect thanks for that :)
    reassuring , i got the card for this trip so nice to double check and know where i stand.
    Thanks again

Enjoy the land of smiles.

Enjoy the land of smiles.

61 days to go :)
    Month trip taking in CM , Pai , couple of days in Phuket and Phi Phi and 10 days in a beach hut in Koh Lanta :)
    1st trip and we cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

inel wrote: »
    How long does it usually take to receive the money into my account after sending them via bank transfer?

I have sent it since Monday (3 days ago) and still haven't received anything.
    Delta2113 wrote: »
    It may not even hit until next Tuesday - your far better using your debit card to top up if you have one.

I'm in a similar situation. Transferred on Tuesday but still hasn't reached my Revolut account. I thought SEPA transfers were supposed to be next day before a certain cut off time?

I messaged Revolut about it but they say nothing has appeared yet so I've asked my Bank. All I can do is wait for now. No Debit card atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Digiby wrote: »
    I'm in a similar situation. Transferred on Tuesday but still hasn't reached my Revolut account. I thought SEPA transfers were supposed to be next day before a certain cut off time?

And then revolut have to locate your transfer and likely manually assign it to your account. Even Paypal bank transfer top ups take 2-3 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Digiby wrote: »

I messaged Revolut about it but they say nothing has appeared yet so I've asked my Bank. All I can do is wait for now. No Debit card atm.

If you're looking for a cheap debit card, best bet at the moment is the EBS MoneyManager account. No account maintenance fees and no fees for lodgements or POS debit card withdrawals. Fees apply to ATM withdrawals but can be avoided by simply transferring the money to your Revolut card first (or via in-store cash-back).

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

Really nice card and service but in my opinion one thing to note is that the company lacks some serious customer support (it looks like their response rate is low).

I wouldn't trust sending big amounts of money before this gets improved at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

inel wrote: »
    Really nice card and service but in my opinion one thing to note is that the company lacks some serious customer support (it looks like their response rate is low).

I wouldn't trust sending big amounts of money before this gets improved at least.

i think its got far bigger than they thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Little story from earlier today:-

I was heading out for some lunch so I transferred some money from my PTSB visa debit card to my revolut.

I went to my local atm and I got a message 'insufficient funds' despite it showing up on my balance in the revolut app. Luckily at the last minute I grabbed a €20 note and some loose change to bring with me just in case (just in case was right).

I had lunch and 2 pints and then ran out to atm a few hours later to try again and still 'insufficient funds'. I then noticed I was getting a message in the app to verify my card and check my bank statement for a 4 digit code.

The automatic security they have set up has a 'mind of it's own'. The message on the app eventually went away - I guess I'll try the atm tomorrow.

Moral of the story you have to have a 'back up' for money if your out and about and my identity is already approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Little story from earlier today:-

I was heading out for some lunch so I transferred some money from my PTSB visa debit card to my revolut.

I went to my local atm and I got a message 'insufficient funds' despite it showing up on my balance in the revolut app. Luckily at the last minute I grabbed a €20 note and some loose change to bring with me just in case (just in case was right).

I had lunch and 2 pints and then ran out to atm a few hours later to try again and still 'insufficient funds'. I then noticed I was getting a message in the app to verify my card and check my bank statement for a 4 digit code.

The automatic security they have set up has a 'mind of it's own'. The message on the app eventually went away - I guess I'll try the atm tomorrow.

Moral of the story you have to have a 'back up' for money if your out and about and my identity is already approved.

I just transferred 300 from my PTSB bus debit, went to get petrol and even though it's saying iv 300euro it got declined.... Pain in the hole I transfered the balance to pound then back to euro hopefully it works the next time I use it or I'm ****ed!

ASOT wrote: »
    I just transferred 300 from my PTSB bus debit, went to get petrol and even though it's saying iv 300euro it got declined.... Pain in the hole I transfered the balance to pound then back to euro hopefully it works the next time I use it or I'm ****ed!

Yeah that didn't work stuck in poxy situation now...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I really hope this is just a glitch as up to now, anytime I did a transfer like that it was instant and funds were available to spend immediately. The only method I have for topping up my wife's card is by me topping up my card and then sending her the amount she wants into her account. Revolut don't all the same debit card to be registered on two different accounts. Each time I've done this the date, it was instantaneous.

Support said there having issues, hopefully it gets sorted today because I'm sort of stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭glen25

ASOT wrote: »
    Support said there having issues, hopefully it gets sorted today because I'm sort of stuck.

Just got declined for a point of sale transaction this morning. Banking on using this in New York in 2 weeks time. Hope it gets sorted. Think I'll need a plan B in any event.

Anyone know if atm withdrawals are affected?

• Advertisement

glen25 wrote: »
    Just got declined for a point of sale transaction this morning. Banking on using this in New York in 2 weeks time. Hope it gets sorted. Think I'll need a plan B in any event.

Anyone know if atm withdrawals are affected?

Couldn't get money out of an ATM either....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement