Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Tom1991

Aren't all transactions online these days?

I’m not sure I just remember a year ago working in a pub and internet dropped and some cards were fine to run credit cards and some banks while others declined on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Tom1991 wrote: »
    I’m not sure I just remember a year ago working in a pub and internet dropped and some cards were fine to run credit cards and some banks while others declined on the spot.

Yes, isn't that the difference between debit and credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Mr.S wrote: »
    Where would the terminal on the airplane connect to?

Aercraft have connectivity, it's just a payload in a packet or two and a reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Where would the terminal on the airplane connect to?

A lot of those terminals will use the satelite internet now available on airplanes.

For those cards, who require online payments, the payments will fail, if no online payment can be made.

Visa Electron for example will never ever work, unless an online verification can be made. The same is true for prepaid tagged debit or credit cards. All depending on the issuer.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The terminal is usually offline, which is why Aerlingus doesn’t accept prepaid cards.

Varies per carrier (and plane?) - Norwegian accept them no problem.

Aye .. and if the carrier accepts offline payments for lets said prepaid tagged cards, then it is their own risk.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Marlow wrote: »
    Aye .. and if the carrier accepts offline payments for lets said prepaid tagged cards, then it is their own risk.

/M

In theory, the bunq travel card is meant to overcome this problem, in practice I found it didn’t work on a Norwegian flight a few weeks ago as Norwegian use mag stripe whereas bunq don’t.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Aercraft have connectivity, it's just a payload in a packet or two and a reply

In my experience of using cards on planes, the transaction is always offline. So if your card doesn't support offline transactions, it will fail.

Does the Bunq card not come with a mag stripe? (or do they just not use it?)

It does, and as Yggr mentioned on another thread, the only reason is to permit access to ATM vestibules...not for any payment purpose.

That’s on odd choice, why not use it if it’s there? What about when you travel to the US where swipe is still common?

My thoughts exactly.

Mag is however a great way to get skimmed (only time I got done was in the US), but at least Revolut let you switch it on / off selectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Anyone undstand how the new trading feature works? Seems you can invest as low as a €1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Going to the UK for a few days shortly. Am I right in saying im better off just loading up my Revolut Card with Euros before I go and just withdraw/use card as I need to once Im over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Going to the UK for a few days shortly. Am I right in saying im better off just loading up my Revolut Card with Euros before I go and just withdraw/use card as I need to once Im over?

yes, if you will be there over the weekend set up a sterling account on your revolut and transfer from your Euro to sterling as the weekend fx can be higher.

just watch out for the charges if you go over the witdrawal allowance of €/£200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The U.K. is a first world country (pre-brexit) there should be absolutely no need to withdraw cash. Everywhere is tap and go.

Will Revolut work in Vietnam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Chip and Pin where you can or witdraw cash, a lot of terminals will be the swipe ones

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

The U.K. is a first world country (pre-brexit) there should be absolutely no need to withdraw cash. Everywhere is tap and go.

My last UK trip was completely cashless. Didn't need to worry about spending excess notes or coins or worry about withdrawal limits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

My last UK trip was completely cashless. Didn't need to worry about spending excess notes or coins or worry about withdrawal limits

I nearly got away with it completely cashless as well... However the car park wouldn't take card so needed to get coins.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I nearly got away with it completely cashless as well... However the car park wouldn't take card so needed to get coins.

Unfortunate. A lot of parking garages and especially on street street meters still only take cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Does anyone know what the Revolut trade allowance is per month for the free account? Just signed up for it there and it's really handy but I just don't know how many trades I can do free per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

yer man! wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Revolut trade allowance is per month for the free account? Just signed up for it there and it's really handy but I just don't know how many trades I can do free per month.

3 per month according to the press releases I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

yer man! wrote: »

It says it on the steps you agreed to....3 is the answer anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

It says it on the steps you agreed to....3 is the answer anyway

Yeah I just noticed it now in the document, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Having to use verify my visa on every top now sure is becoming a pain, along with the new contactless limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

maximoose wrote: »
    Having to use verify my visa on every top now sure is becoming a pain, along with the new contactless limit

Are you using a new card to top up? I don't have to verify my top ups but did when my card changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

No, same card I've had on it for years. Just since the last week or so, every top up requires verified by visa - which is slow enough as it is on a good day, but regularly just doesn't work and I don't get the verification text (ptsb)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭testtech05

maximoose wrote: »
    No, same card I've had on it for years. Just since the last week or so, every top up requires verified by visa - which is slow enough as it is on a good day, but regularly just doesn't work and I don't get the verification text (ptsb)

Mine is the same the last 2 weeks or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yes, PSD2 consequence which requires stronger protection for customers (and in consequence has some wired effects protecting you from spending your own money without going through additional hoops frequently).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

So Im trying to top up with Google Pay and its not working any more. It has me in a loop of add x amount - select Google Pay - it brings up another screen to confirm the card I want to transfer the money from - I press continue - and it brings me back to the add x amount page. And round and round I go without anything being added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just topped up my account with my KBC card and there was no verification required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement