Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

SOme Amazon purchases were affected. Got onto Amazon support and while onto them I got transactions notifications for the purchases from the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Fixed apparently but Il test it shorty.

https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/667653094105325568?s=09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

All this re-enforces that you have to have a plan B with this card but when you think about it you can't say that BOI,PTSB, AIB etc. have never had an issue.

It would not put me off using the card overseas but to repeat myself I would have a back up card and some cash 'ready to go'.

It reminds me off the benefits of just simply using cash which I know is not the thing to say nowadays but when was the last time a €20 note let you down?

I'll drop down to my local atm and report back shortly.

• Advertisement

Delta2113 wrote: »
    I'll drop down to my local atm and report back shortly.

- Just took €700 out from local BOI ATM.

The 'temporary issue' started for me yesterday aprox.1.45pm but glad it's now fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Just took €700 out from local BOI ATM.

The 'temporary issue' started for me yesterday aprox.1.45pm but glad it's now fixed.

What's the advantage of using your revolut card to withdraw euros instead of your ptsb card ?

"What's the advantage of using your revolut card to withdraw euros instead of your ptsb card ?"

None at the moment but from next year it will help me to avoid the 12 cent Irish Government charge.

Call me sad (your sad) but banking,cards, current accounts etc. - beating the system is like a hobby to me.

Even using a basic Irish ATM card (non current account) instead of using a full debit card your capped at €2.50 instead of €5 (potentially saving €2.50).

It's a ridiculously complicated Irish Government initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Just a note/reminder - this card doesn't allow manual charges. I forgot this when booking a hotel in the UK over the phone and the card was rejected saying "Authorisation Prohibited". I contacted Revolut and they confirmed that manual charges like these are not permitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Arbie wrote: »
    Just a note/reminder - this card doesn't allow manual charges. I forgot this when booking a hotel in the UK over the phone and the card was rejected saying "Authorisation Prohibited". I contacted Revolut and they confirmed that manual charges like these are not permitted.

Like giving your card details over the phone is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Guys, My wife was supposed to receive Her revolut card today, but the letter came opened and empty with a note from Anpost saying that the letter was received damaged with no content.

It's either bad luck or someone could be targeting revolut cards!

She has a 0 balance therefore no harm done, but I guess if she had a lot of money in the balance, Her card could already be used by whoever took it by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I did a load via bank transfer yesterday, it was credited this afternoon. I just made sure that my reference number was transmitted as "end to end customer reference" which German banks offer. Was quicker than I expected from what others see.

Like giving your card details over the phone is it?

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Amouar wrote: »
    Guys, My wife was supposed to receive Her revolut card today, but the letter came opened and empty with a note from Anpost saying that the letter was received damaged with no content.

It's either bad luck or someone could be targeting revolut cards!

She has a 0 balance therefore no harm done, but I guess if she had a lot of money in the balance, Her card could already be used by whoever took it by now.

Similar thing happened to me - the envelope was opened, but the card was still inside it. Was told by an Anpost employee that the letter may have been jammed in a sorting machine. No note was in envelope.

Ended up cancelling the card and requesting another one (was charged €7 for the 2nd card).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I linked my card to my paypal account last week. Because it took a few attempts trying to enter the address correctly, I got charged 4 x $1, and one €1.42 verification fees.

Those fees have been showing as pending on my account for a week now, do they usually take that long to be refunded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

doxy wrote: »
    I linked my card to my paypal account last week. Because it took a few attempts trying to enter the address correctly, I got charged 4 x $1, and one €1.42 verification fees.

Those fees have been showing as pending on my account for a week now, do they usually take that long to be refunded?

7 business days usually for authorisation charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

I'm in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭bitethebullet

Since Nov 12th actually...must have to wait 10 working days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Since Nov 12th actually...must have to wait 10 working days?

Yep, ten working days it is. Happened to me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Arbie wrote: »
    Exactly.

That's weird I paid two bills over the phone giving my card details and both went through perfectly?

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    That's weird I paid two bills over the phone giving my card details and both went through perfectly?

Interesting. I wonder what the difference was.

It seems like the FX rate is no longer as good as it used to be on Revolut: Made a USD purchase now , and the FX rate applied was 1.0584$ compared to 1.0638$ online.

Same for a GBP transaction: revolut FX rate was 0.6975 GBP compared to 0.700465 GBP online.

Did you guys notice the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

It seems like the FX rate is no longer as good as it used to be on Revolut: Made a USD purchase now , and the FX rate applied was 1.0584$ compared to 1.0638$ online.

Same for a GBP transaction: revolut FX rate was 0.6975 GBP compared to 0.700465 GBP online.

Yup I noticed that too

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Yup I noticed that too

This is very sneaky from them as it was not announced ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Damn, I just signed up yesterday, hope I didn't miss the Revolut boat. I did think the exchange rate savings were not as good as boards promised :eek:

Here too. I thought $1.05 seemed very bad, checked it on xe.com and saw the same as you. I assumed that it was just lagging behind or something, and would correct itself later, but I think you're right actually :mad:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Here too. I thought $1.05 seemed very bad, checked it on xe.com and saw the same as you. I assumed that it was just lagging behind or something, and would correct itself later, but I think you're right actually :mad:

Just did a quick comparison and Revolut seem very similar to xe rates

4526EEED-150E-4466-9861-13C040237C09_zpsxjjwflcw.png

E6A6A5D2-C29C-46A0-83B4-582581B60399_zps1cfwyy23.png

85E7588C-E0DD-41D6-BE46-334AF78F705E_zpsyqtxndcq.png

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Just did a quick comparison and Revolut seem very similar to xe rates

Hmmm. You're right. Hopefully they were just lagging behind with their exchange rate earlier then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I also was getting a crappy rate on Sunday, it was about 1% lower than lowest mid-market in last 24 hours according to xe.com, however on Friday I was still getting great exchange rate.

• Advertisement

It looks like this has been fixed. The Fx rate is good now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement