Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i love this app and card its saved me loads on cross border handling fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I used this card in Iceland (the country) last year and it saved me a fortune.

I am looking forward to using it in Norway next month - Japan in April and Brazil in September.

Bargain Alerts - I love you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I used this card in Iceland (the country) last year and it saved me a fortune.

I am looking forward to using it in Norway next month - Japan in April and Brazil in September.

Bargain Alerts - I love you
    Norway for ~ €40 return next month :D

I was looking at going there, I'd love to go. Travelling fell through last year and haven't stopped looking. I never even thought of Revolut. Excellent :)

I was looking at Sarpsborg after reading this and this. :)

But that's for another forum :)

Do you have to be over 18 to get\verify Revolut? I couldn't find any info online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

How does Revolut work in countries like Norway that have their own currency? What rate does it use?

Also I noticed they don't support Paypal card verification. Here is supports response when I asked why the code wasn't in the transaction details: "Hi, we don't fully support Paypal yet. It's hit or miss." Hmm "hit or miss", maybe its just me I would like the support to be more formal when dealing with money, maybe they were being honest though! Great product though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Do you need to let Revolut know you will be using the card overseas, like you might do with normal credit cards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Do you need to let Revolut know you will be using the card overseas, like you might do with normal credit cards?

no because it's preloaded. you can only spend what you have on it. and iirc, you can actually block it from the app

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

How does Revolut work in countries like Norway that have their own currency?

I'm curious to this too.

How does it work in Countries that aren't Euro/US Dollar/Pound?

Does the extra currency appear in the app when you are in that Country?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Allyall wrote: »
    I'm curious to this too.

How does it work in Countries that aren't Euro/US Dollar/Pound?

Does the extra currency appear in the app when you are in that Country?

You won't see any extra currency on the app.

Just pay like you would in Europe, and the card will take the money from your EUR balance and exchange it automatically to the desired currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amouar wrote: »
    You won't see any extra currency on the app.

Just pay like you would in Europe, and the card will take the money from your EUR balance and exchange it automatically to the desired currency.

Actually it would first take it from any £ balance, than €. So if you have £ in the wallet it would go first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

What rate does it use?
    Our rates mirror the Spot Interbank exchange rate. The interbank market is the top-level foreign exchange market where banks exchange different currencies. It is a wholesale market through which most currency transactions are channeled and, as such, offers the best possible exchange rate available. This spot interbank exchange rate typically beats that of banks and other consumer foreign exchange services by 3-5%.
    Basically it should be very similar to the pure rate you see at somewhere like XE. This may not be true at the weekends, they hedge their bets then AFAIK (see post from Amouar a few pages back).
    I had a good few payments from a few people as I used revolut to sell some items on adverts.
    Aquos76 wrote: »
    I've received payments from about 20 different users here on boards.
    Revolut's FAQs state "Transfers from third parties, including but not limited to companies, friends & family, will be returned to the sender's account after deducting processing fees" is this not true?

Ooh ooh another question.

What is the most anyone has transferred to the card? I should have money in my Dutch account and putting it on the Revolut might be as easy as anyway to move it.

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Basically it should be very similar to the pure rate you see at somewhere like XE. This may not be true at the weekends, they hedge their bets then AFAIK (see post from Amouar a few pages back).

Revolut's FAQs state "Transfers from third parties, including but not limited to companies, friends & family, will be returned to the sender's account after deducting processing fees" is this not true?

if they are revolut users then it's fine

as per FAQs

Transfers in Euros, Pounds or US Dollars between Revolut users are instant and free anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

UsedToWait wrote:
    Bit late to this thread.. Anyone have problems installing the app? Play store says 'this app is incompatible with your device'

I had a loan of a desire for a while and yeah it was incompatible with that desire too. For the time I just used bluestacks android emulator on PC to use revolut till I got a new phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Revolut 2.0 will be with us in a few days. I would imagine it will add a few more currencies e.g. Canadian Dollars -not confirmed my guess and maybe other surprises in store.

I'm looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Revolut 2.0 will be with us in a few days. I would imagine it will add a few more currencies e.g. Canadian Dollars -not confirmed my guess and maybe other surprises in store.

CHF could be a runner... I'm off to Zurich Sunday so I guess it'll be added the day I get back :)

Edit: saw the countdown. 2.0 released Monday! :) awesome sauce!

Patww79 wrote: »

-Coded as a U.K. card -cant make it Irish etc. for now in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Just after signing up, very simple process. Downloaded the app, got the SMS straightaway, verified using my passport, only took 10 minutes. No problems at all. This should come in really handy for Amazon purchases especially, always annoyed me when the currency conversion charge used to appear on my credit card account. Plus I am off to Poland in a few weeks so this should be handy over there too. What are the advantages of verifying your account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Delta2113 wrote: »

Thank God! Hopefully it will contain a good few bug fixes. I love the service, don't get me wrong but you look at the app sideways and it stops working and the only thing support can suggestion is to delete it and re-install it. Hopefully there won't be a need to do this quite so frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Irish Halo wrote: »
    oh ooh another question.

What is the most anyone has transferred to the card? I should have money in my Dutch account and putting it on the Revolut might be as easy as anyway to move it.

I'm not sure if I've interpreted your question correctly, but wouldn't Irish Halo benefit more from using a service like TransferWise to transfer money between a dutch and Irish account folks?

Doge wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I've interpreted your question correctly, but wouldn't Irish Halo benefit more from using a service like TransferWise to transfer money between a dutch and Irish account folks?

As the Kingdom of the Netherland and the Republic of Ireland are both in the EU and in SEPA transferring between Euro accounts is directly possible without any problems and the money should be there next day. No need for transferwise.

As to limits on Revolut:
    There are no limits to topping up and and transferring money with Revolut however we require proof of funds to process large transactions.

Card spending is limited to £30,000 or equivalent per year with a sublimit of £5,000 or equivalent per 96 hours meaning that you cannot exceed £5,000 or equivalent in card spending in a 96 hour period. Cash withdrawals from ATMs are limited to £2,000 or equivalent per day.

I would be very careful with larger amounts as that might trigger their compliance department to request proof of funds and also possible certified copies of ID documents.

CHF could be a runner... I'm off to Zurich Sunday so I guess it'll be added the day I get back :)

Edit: saw the countdown. 2.0 released Monday! :) awesome sauce!

Actually it's Tuesday 1200 GMT not Monday when Revolut 2.0 launches according to the counter on the home page.

I hope the new 2.0 offers more currencies wallets and a direct IBAN or UK sort code that that nonsense with reference number stops.

I also hope that they issue a new card with NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Only balls is they'll probably charge for the NFC card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Lads, new to this thread so haven't read through 103 pages yet! So just looking for a quick summary. I'm going to USA at Easter and will be spending a nice few dollars. Is this card the best option for me? Should I just load it up and go? Are withdrawals from ATM over there free? Or is that number26 crowd a better option (just seen a thread on them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Just want to add to Toby's question,if I send €500 to the card,don't transfer to the usd or gbp account,does the card still work and take away from the euro account on the apps currency rate?

First up I would get your Identity approved using your Passport. I did it via the app it's a little tricky but you should get it eventually.

Also if you have a debit card with a Irish Bank I would use this to top up.It tops up in 'real time' which is great.

Just keep your money in Euro -that is fine and it will convert for you when you take out cash in America etc.

Some atm's in America charge a fee but they will tell you this before your transaction completes so just cancel and find a free atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Just to add that the Fee is not related to your card. It's just a lot of the damn ATMs charge a set fee for just taking money out

toby2111 wrote: »
    Lads, new to this thread so haven't read through 103 pages yet! So just looking for a quick summary. I'm going to USA at Easter and will be spending a nice few dollars. Is this card the best option for me? Should I just load it up and go? Are withdrawals from ATM over there free? Or is that number26 crowd a better option (just seen a thread on them).

this card is a great option. rule of thumb for ATMs over there. Bank ATMs are free, shop ATMs are not.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Just want to add to Toby's question,if I send €500 to the card,don't transfer to the usd or gbp account,does the card still work and take away from the euro account on the apps currency rate?

yes, it will first look to GBP, if you have none it will take your euro. always pay in local currency when using the card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Stupid question - if I load this up with €1000 to spend in USA but only spend €800 worth of dollars over there, can I then access or transfer the remaining €200 back to my bank a/c?
    Also, if run out of cash on this card, how long would a transfer from my bank a/c take to hit the card. I'm with Perm TSB.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement