Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Hi all

My boyfriend has been trying to get my revolut account verified but the nfc reader in his phone won't work/read it. Do you know if there are any other options in terms of verification? I've set up my own account, and don't have an nfc reader in my phone so don't know how I'm meant to get verified - I've taken a photo of myself to send to them and waiting on that to be verified. Think the nfc thing comes after that.

Would appreciate any knowledge on this. Have searched the thread, but nothing of this kind is coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

Has anyone used this on the continent instead of a maestro card? My work canteen takes only (amsterdam) maestro card so I want to see if this is an option...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

terencemc wrote: »
    Has anyone used this on the continent instead of a maestro card? My work canteen takes only (amsterdam) maestro card so I want to see if this is an option...
    It's not a Maestro card therefore it won't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi all

My boyfriend has been trying to get my revolut account verified but the nfc reader in his phone won't work/read it. Do you know if there are any other options in terms of verification? I've set up my own account, and don't have an nfc reader in my phone so don't know how I'm meant to get verified - I've taken a photo of myself to send to them and waiting on that to be verified. Think the nfc thing comes after that.

Would appreciate any knowledge on this. Have searched the thread, but nothing of this kind is coming up.

Its my understanding that revolut have not released contactless cards just yet but are releasing it in the near future. Unless your one off the very first people to receive it i could be wrong.

It will take a day or two to get your account verified by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Its my understanding that revolut have not released contactless cards just yet but are releasing it in the near future. Unless your one off the very first people to receive it i could be wrong.

It will take a day or two to get your account verified by email.

Think Tipperary Fairy needed the NFC reader to read the passport. Part of the verification process.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

msmx5 wrote: »
    Think Tipperary Fairy needed the NFC reader to read the passport. Part of the verification process.

Is this a new thing? A photo of my ID was all I needed to verify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Colemania

If I use this in Prague for example, will it just take funds from the euro account or will it take it from any other currency I have on the card such as USD? Will I be given a live exchange rate for it also as I can only see the conversion rates between pounds, dollars and euros.

Quackster wrote: »
    Is this a new thing? A photo of my ID was all I needed to verify.

Nope not new, I verified in early Oct and had to do it. It may be optional as not all passports have the NFC feature, or specific to the Android app (not all IOS devices have an NFC reader).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Nope not new, I verified in early Oct and had to do it. It may be optional as not all passports have the NFC feature, or specific to the Android app (not all IOS devices have an NFC reader).

No iPhone is capable of reading NFC passports.

iPhone 6 and 6s (and plus versions) do have NFC hardware built in, but Apple have only activated the NFC support for use with Apple Pay, it isn't possible to use the NFC reader for any other purpose, such as reading passport NFC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Colemania wrote: »
    If I use this in Prague for example, will it just take funds from the euro account or will it take it from any other currency I have on the card such as USD? Will I be given a live exchange rate for it also as I can only see the conversion rates between pounds, dollars and euros.

In the latest version tap the exchange dripdown (where rates are) and you can see rates for all currencies on that screen

You'll get the rate at that particular time. If it's a weekend it'll be a little less to covee possible lower opening rates on Mondays

The priority to the 3 balances in order are GBP, EUR and USD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

In the latest version tap the exchange dripdown (where rates are) and you can see rates for all currencies on that screen

You'll get the rate at that particular time. If it's a weekend it'll be a little less to covee possible lower opening rates on Mondays

The priority to the 3 balances in order are GBP, EUR and USD

It would be handy to take out a currency not needed and replace with a needed currency -

For example i am going to Oz in the near future and am using this card after i load my cash onto it. It would be great to have both Euro and AUD on display in the exchange panel

I verified in early October too on my NFC-enabled Android phone and there was no mention of NFC reading of my passport. Maybe the app couldn't detect the NFC reader in my phone for some reason?

Quackster wrote: »
    I verified in early October too on my NFC-enabled Android phone and there was no mention of NFC reading of my passport. Maybe the app couldn't detect the NFC reader in my phone for some reason?

From memory it may have been an optional step, the app asked if the passport had the biometric / NFC symbol on it ....

220px-EPassport_logo.svg.png

I guess it increases the chances of being sucessfully verified automatically without requiring human intervention from Revolut staff if the passport NFC can re read and matched to photo and other data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

Having some trouble topping up from my debit card to my Revolut account.

The top up amount is debited from my bank account but doesn't arrive to my Revolut account. I've been topping up since I signed up last August. My address has never changed and the app is up to date. And I did my last successful top up on the 19th of January.

My bank confirmed that the transactions went through successfully. Revolut (aka some yank on Skype in her living room) kept saying that my address must have changed and was getting me to change my address to a single line during the call. For some reason I couldn't log into Revolut during the call and do this. I tried this after the call and yet another 10 euro "lost" in cyberspace.

Finally as my debit card is expiring next month (I told Revolut this and they said this shouldn't be an issue as it is still valid) and I received my new one today - I deleted the old number and tried to do a test 10 euro with my new card. It failed also but still took the money from my account.

Revolut say the money should be returned back to my bank account in 4 or 5 hours (will be very surprised if its that quick).

Quite frustrating. I could understand if my address did change but nothing has changed and I did a recent top up 2 days ago and there was no issue.

Guess I better wait till the money is returned before doing further tests as my account is being depleted and I don't have the luxury of having it floating between banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Got in touch with Revolut support and was told that top up through TransferWise isn't possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

soirish wrote: »
    Got in touch with Revolut support and was told that top up through TransferWise isn't possible.

You can not top up Revolut via any 3rd party payments.

You can only deposit money to your Revolut account from a bank account registered in your name.

They had a long warning for a while when you logged in and now there is a disclaimer when you access the bank account info.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Number26 just announced Government Stamp Duty of €30 p.a. Any news on Revolute yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

soirish wrote: »
    Number26 just announced Government Stamp Duty of €30 p.a. Any news on Revolute yet?

Stamp duty was replaced by 12c transaction fees no? Unless that was debit cards only?! Number26 needs to sort out proper debit cards. I read that the existing ones are basically credit cards without the credit

The stamp duty applicable to prepaid credit cards is the same as for debit cards so if Revolut were to apply it, it would be the 12c ATM fee up to max €5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭bromley52

Stamp duty was replaced by 12c transaction fees no? Unless that was debit cards only?! Number26 needs to sort out proper debit cards. I read that the existing ones are basically credit cards without the credit

Debits cards & prepaid credit cards are 12c/ATM transaction. Credits cards still have €30/year tax.

• Advertisement

bromley52 wrote: »
    Debits cards are 12c/transaction. Credits cards still have €30/year tax.

As I said, prepaid credit cards like Revolut are treated the same as debit cards for stamp duty purposes.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So have Revolut confirmed if this €30 charge will be applied to our accounts?

Worst that will happen is that they'll fall into line with prepaid cards issued in Ireland (such as 3 Money and Payzone Money) and charge the debit card stamp duty.

But I really can't see that happening. I had a Net+ card for several years and was never charged stamp duty.

Most likely our beloved Revenue are specifically targeting Number26 as they have launched a full current account product in Ireland. Or the Germans, being Germans, have decided they must be ultra compliant with Revenue.

The Number26 product is unique in that it isn't a prepaid card but rather a credit card attached to a current account (although they recently seemed to indicate that it had changed to a debit card).

So it would be interesting to know who (Revenue or Number 26?) and why it was decided that the €30 stamp duty would apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If number26 insist on collecting €30 stamp duty which I think is completely wrong as no form off credit is given then Revolut could easily do the same.

The Irish banks must be having a great laugh this morning reading through these threads on boards. I really hate this country at times.

Remember guys when you go to vote in GE2016. I reckon banks leaned on Noonan and he leaned on revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Revolut is not based in Ireland. I have a current account in a country I used to live -but now registered to my Irish address- and don't pay any of the silly Irish -or any for that matter- charges for using my cards in Ireland (credit and debit card).
    I don't think these rules will apply to revolut, they're not based here and they don't provide you with a real bank account.

flyguy wrote: »
    Revolut is not based in Ireland. I have a current account in a country I used to live -but now registered to my Irish address- and don't pay any of the silly Irish -or any for that matter- charges for using my cards in Ireland (credit and debit card).
    I don't think these rules will apply to revolut, they're not based here and they don't provide you with a real bank account.

I hate to tell you but it does not matter where the financial institution is based, if you have an address in the state you are liable for Stamp Duty on your Credit and Debit card.

As per Revenue here:
    What if my Financial Institution is located outside the country?

You are still liable for stamp duty. All cards regardless of the location of the issuer are liable if the cardholder has an address in the State.

Now it might very well be that your financial institution is paying the stamp duty for you and just does not charge you. Or it might be that your financial institution is not aware of the requirement.

Revolut in principle should charge 5€ Debit Card Stamp duty for last year and 12 cents per ATM withdraw this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Has anyone successfully used this card with a UK address to order from the UK ?
    I'm trying to order from Motorola.co.uk and they won't accept an Irish debit card and I'm wondering if I put my billing address on the Revolut card to my Parcel motel address, I could use my Revolut card ?

will56 wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully used this card with a UK address to order from the UK ?
    I'm trying to order from Motorola.co.uk and they won't accept an Irish debit card and I'm wondering if I put my billing address on the Revolut card to my Parcel motel address, I could use my Revolut card ?

I have done this successfully with my ParcelWizard address.

Changed the address before the transaction and back after the transaction online in the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Digiby

I have done this successfully with my ParcelWizard address.

Changed the address before the transaction and back after the transaction online in the app.

Does version 2 of the app let you update address now?
    The earlier versions didn't which is why I downgraded back to version 1 as I used to do this as well for home address and parcel motel.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement