Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Digiby wrote: »
    Does version 2 of the app let you update address now?
    The earlier versions didn't which is why I downgraded back to version 1 as I used to do this as well for home address and parcel motel.

I'm on the Apple Version so I always could edit my address via the profile settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

The Android app brought back the ability to edit your address recently. It was temporarily broken for the 2.0 release. Animations are smoother/crisper too.

Revolut confirmed via twitter that the card is liable for the new ATM Withdraw Tax which is great news because that means they classify it correctly unlike number26:

https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/691931818019393538

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Revolut confirmed via twitter that the card is liable for the new ATM Withdraw Tax which is great news because that means they classify it correctly unlike number26:

So 12c every time you use it up to a maximum of €5?

Do these 12c charges only apply to ATM transactions or all card transactions?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So 12c every time you use it up to a maximum of €5?

Do these 12c charges only apply to ATM transactions or all card transactions?

Per ATM Withdraw as per Citizen Information Bureau:
    Budget 2016

It was announced in Budget 2016 that the current €2.50 per annum charge on ATM cards and €5 on combined (ATM and debit) cards is being abolished from 1 January 2016. A new 12 cent fee per ATM withdrawal is being introduced from 1 January 2016. The total fee paid per annum per card will be capped at €2.50 on ATM cards and €5 on combined (ATM and debit) cards.

As this is a combined ATM and debit card the cap is 5€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

The Irish Government is really creating a headache for these companies. I would keep a close eye over the year of exactly how many times you actually take cash out from an Irish atm/latm.

PTSB overcharged me when the charge was €2.50 atm and €2.50 pos. I never once took out cash and yet they charged me the €2.50. Eventually after a few phone calls and e-mails I got the €2.50 back but you can just imagine how complicated it will be for revolut to get this right.

I'm going to use my PTSB visa debit card and keep getting cashback in shops,pubs etc. to avoid the 12 cent charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Good news all round. A maximum of 5 euro is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

So as long as you don't use an irish atm you won't be charged?
    Eg when ordering online

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

So as long as you don't use an irish atm you won't be charged?
    Eg when ordering online

In very simple terms you actually need to take a euro banknote or notes from a Republic of Ireland ATM/LATM to get charged the 12 cent and then you have a €2.50 or €5 cap depending on what type of card you have. Revolut cap is €5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So have people been charged this 12c yet? I haven't made a withdrawal from my card this year yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Aquos76 wrote: »
    So have people been charged this 12c yet? I haven't made a withdrawal from my card this year yet.

I have only used my ulster bank debit card 3 times this year at a atm and havn't been charged once...

From what i've been reading you wont see the charge on your account until January 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

What are the free ATMs in the US for fee free withdrawls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

What are the free ATMs in the US for fee free withdrawls?

usually in bank ATMs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

usually in bank ATMs.

cheers, I think there was a list of certain banks that didnt charge a fee though. heading to vegas, so doubt there would be any free atms over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The Android app brought back the ability to edit your address recently. It was temporarily broken for the 2.0 release. Animations are smoother/crisper too.

I just use the app and it allows one to change the address ,which is very handy.
    If you get a physical card can you still change the address on the app ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I've sign up for this, just a quick query. If I top up lets say 1500 euro and want to pay in dollars do I just swipe to dollars or just use card as normal and it automatically does it. Thanks

cheers, I think there was a list of certain banks that didnt charge a fee though. heading to vegas, so doubt there would be any free atms over there!

Try Chase CHIP ATM's they don't seam to charge out of network fees.

mad m wrote: »
    I've sign up for this, just a quick query. If I top up lets say 1500 euro and want to pay in dollars do I just swipe to dollars or just use card as normal and it automatically does it. Thanks

It will handle it automatically and if the charge is in $ take it from the $ balance first, than converts £ and than €. So independent of which currency you have on the card it will always give you their best rate on the day of the transaction settling.

If you however want to take the uncertainty out of how much € is this, you could convert € to $ today and get today's rate. They would use the $ you have first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

does anyone know if you can order a 2nd Revolut card (for the wifey) for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

It's 1 card per account as far as I know.

I'd just get her signed up with an account of her own, sending money between accounts is instant.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I used my Revolut card for both POS and ATM withdrawals last year and have yet to be charged the €5 stamp duty that would have been due on the 31st December last. Has anyone?

I'm still unconvinced they will proactively charge this stamp duty. Unless they're being hassled by Revenue about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

maximoose wrote: »
    It's 1 card per account as far as I know.

I'd just get her signed up with an account of her own, sending money between accounts is instant.

Yeah - suppose i could do that. its being used as the holiday fund card in Australia so before we go I can send some funds to her account? ;)

I have my doubts Revolut have their systems set up to bill correctly for last year's €2.50 atm and pos €2.50 or for the new 12 cent atm charge and the €5 cap.

If anybody get's hit with a €2.50 or €5 charge please let us know. PTSB which should be able to handle this incorrectly charged me €2.50 when i never used the atm function but I got it refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Travelling to Rome the weekend, was planning on topping up card and using that while I was there? Are there any advantages or reasons not to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Travelling to Rome the weekend, was planning on topping up card and using that while I was there? Are there any advantages or reasons not to?

Rome is in the Eurozone. Use your regular card.

I tried to use my card in my local burger king. Burger king charged in Sterling for some reason but used their own exchange rate. I paid 25c more!

djmarkus wrote: »
    Rome is in the Eurozone. Use your regular card.

I tried to use my card in my local burger king. Burger king charged in Sterling for some reason but used their own exchange rate. I paid 25c more!

They should have offered you a choice between local currency (€) and currency of the card (£) with you making the decision. Always take local currency as the markup they use for Dynamic Currency Conversion is way to high.

Same at the cash machine, if you take out € from your revolut € balance make sure you choose to be billed in € rather than the offered £. Remember that will also trigger the 12 cent ATM withdraw tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

They should have offered you a choice between local currency (€) and currency of the card (£) with you making the decision.
    But is the currency of the card not euro? My balance is in euro, I'm loading it up, I'll be using it in USA at Easter.... So should I choose to be billed in euro or dollars? Will i even get that option?? If I buy something for $100, will the cashier not just type in $100 into the credit card machine???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

It doesn't matter what balances you have loaded on, the currency of the card is GBP. Always pay in the local currency to get best rate.

I've used mine in the US twice and was never given the choice anywhere though, always charged in dollars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement