Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Gambling is not supported. There's issues with PayPal too unfortunately. For what its worth other than that it works very well everywhere else...

What issues have you encountered with Paypal, I've been using my Revolut card on there along with Amazon since September and haven't had an issue with either. The only issues I have encountered is this card can't be used over the phone manually at all. I deal with two companies especially, one up North and another over in the UK, and my Revolut card never goes thru on their machines unfortunately, it's a shame cause I'd be getting a far better rate on my Revolut card that I do from my PTSB visa debit or my Avant CC which is actually terrible for exchange rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@Aquos76,

I used my mine over phone the other day paying for hotel in NY

mad m wrote: »
    @Aquos76,

That's interesting, I've never had any success getting this to work manually with any company.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DavidJC

Aquos76 wrote: »
    That's interesting, I've never had any success getting this to work manually with any company.

Think the problem in the UK is they input a post code when doing the transaction as an extra security procedure. If you have a post code set to all zeros or blank it will decline.

Try and set up your Eircode in Revolut as your postal code and tell the merchant the same code and it should go through.

Let me know how you got on. I've had similar problems and they've put it down exclusively to the post code.

DavidJC wrote: »
    Think the problem in the UK is they input a post code when doing the transaction as an extra security procedure. If you have a post code set to all zeros or blank it will decline.

Try and set up your Eircode in Revolut as your postal code and tell the merchant the same code and it should go through.

Let me know how you got on. I've had similar problems and they've put it down exclusively to the post code.

Well from day 1 I have my eircode set up on my address for revolut so I'll definitely try that and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

mad m wrote: »
    @Aquos76,

I tried to use it over the phone several times in December and it was rejected each time. Revolut told me it's not possible to use it over the phone.

Was your card actually charged over the phone or did they just take the number to secure the booking?

That's exactly what they told me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Arbie wrote: »
    I tried to use it over the phone several times in December and it was rejected each time. Revolut told me it's not possible to use it over the phone.

Was your card actually charged over the phone or did they just take the number to secure the booking?

Rang girl at reservations. Gave my number over phone. I havent even got the physical card yet so just read numbers from Virtual card on app. I wasnt even verified at that stage either. Girl said thanks its just gone through, checked app and it was gone out of my account instantly and got $109 to €.

Got confirmation email 5 mins later from hotel with receipt of transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Iv also used mine over the phone to pay for my phone bill with three.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 amecullen

Please contact revolut by phone if you have a problem topping up from your Irish cards.
    Phone 0044 20 3725 7583. They have introduced a new AVS check and this is causing problems for Irish customers, they need as many people as possible to contact them, to help them clarify the exact problem and find a fix

• Advertisement

Revolut have again confirmed on Twitter tonight that their card cannot be used manually ie, over the phone. I'd love to know how some users have had success with this as I've tried a few times now and it has never been successful.

I'm going to try again tomorrow, firstly with an Irish company and then with a UK company and see if I've any luck with either. I'd love if the two UK companies I deal with could accept it, I get fleeced using my avant credit card and my Permanent TSB card isn't much better due to the debit card charge for currency conversion on top of the actual conversion rates.

One transaction last week appeared on my credit card as €553 and the same transaction would have cost just under €531 using my revolut card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut have again confirmed on Twitter tonight that their card cannot be used manually ie, over the phone. I'd love to know how some users have had success with this as I've tried a few times now and it has never been successful.

I'm going to try again tomorrow, firstly with an Irish company and then with a UK company and see if I've any luck with either. I'd love if the two UK companies I deal with could accept it, I get fleeced using my avant credit card and my Permanent TSB card isn't much better due to the debit card charge for currency conversion on top of the actual conversion rates.

One transaction last week appeared on my credit card as €553 and the same transaction would have cost just under €531 using my revolut card.

If you have regular £ charges, have you looked at for example monese and combine it with transferwise/revolut or even use it directly with the 0.5% charge (cheaper than what avantcard and PTSB charge).

Yes it will require some pre-planning as monese does not top up via debit card but still might save you money. And with the amounts as above you will continue to save.

I had never heard of monese before now, that sound like it might well be an option for me alright. They don't seem to offer an iPhone app thou :(

I had never heard of monese before now, that sound like it might well be an option for me alright. They don't seem to offer an iPhone app thou :(

Not yet, but if you have a PC you can use bluestacks to run the android app. A little more complicated to get a good passport picture with the camera but possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I signed up for this last night to make a Sterling purchase on ebay. The purchase went through fine. But my Revolut account is showing 2 other payments of $1 (or €0.92) each. I have contacted Revolut about it but they aren't getting back to me. Is there normally a charge for using the virtual card on Paypal? I've done a search and see no reference to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Anyone have any experience sending money front their revolut account back to their bank? It appears I have a sum of money floating a cyberspace somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

iguana wrote: »
    I signed up for this last night to make a Sterling purchase on ebay. The purchase went through fine. But my Revolut account is showing 2 other payments of $1 (or €0.92) each. I have contacted Revolut about it but they aren't getting back to me. Is there normally a charge for using the virtual card on Paypal? I've done a search and see no reference to it.

paypal test payment if i am correct - it will be refunded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience sending money front their revolut account back to their bank? It appears I have a sum of money floating a cyberspace somewhere.

it took 4 days to arrive into my boi a/c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Yeah, took quite a few days which is not good. Done via a bank account in Finland I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

paypal test payment if i am correct - it will be refunded

Cool thanks. I saved about €1 using Revolut, so if there had been some mystery charge of more than I saved it would have sucked. I'll keep an eye on it to make sure I'm refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

for those putting money back into bank account, why not just spend the money on the card or withdraw it from an ATM? I use it on an everyday basis now....its replaced my atm (visa debit) card.

for those putting money back into bank account, why not just spend the money on the card or withdraw it from an ATM? I use it on an everyday basis now....its replaced my atm (visa debit) card.

Yes, withdrawing money at an ATM is the quickest way of getting cash back from Revolut, just remember that in January you will be charged the 12 cent ATM Withdraw Tax if you withdraw € in the republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Havn't checked the thread in a while but just back from a weekend Reykjavik in Iceland, card wouldn't work anywhere but luckily I used the balance to book a tour online & it was accepted there.....no idea why the constant denials, poss something to do with their banking system these days? Just pullin that out of my arse lol

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Pulse8 wrote: »
    Havn't checked the thread in a while but just back from a weekend Reykjavik in Iceland, card wouldn't work anywhere but luckily I used the balance to book a tour online & it was accepted there.....no idea why the constant denials, poss something to do with their banking system these days? Just pullin that out of my arse lol

Another reason to have both Revolut and Number26 - so your eggs aren't all in the one basket.

Used both cards in the UK yesterday and the Number26 rate seems to have been a whole 1% better than the Revolut/market rate! :eek:

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

You could also look at using Number26, assuming their card can be used over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,287 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Quackster wrote: »
    Another reason to have both Revolut and Number26 - so your eggs aren't all in the one basket.

Used both cards in the UK yesterday and the Number26 rate seems to have been a whole 1% better than the Revolut/market rate! :eek:

I thought N26 used the MasterCard rates?

It must have been a mistake to be 1% below market rate surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I thought N26 used the MasterCard rates?

It must have been a mistake to be 1% below market rate surely.

Depends on when they each set the rate I suppose it varied quite a bit yesterday: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭EJ22

Hey everyone i was just wondering how long it takes to transfer money from revolut to a bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭DavidJC

To transfer to a UK account takes at least 5 days for me. It's slow. Be warned!

• Advertisement

Quackster wrote: »

That surprises me because that is not the experience I have.
    Number26 is using the rates set by Mastercard on the date of settlement of the charge (not the day of transaction).
    The rates are on https://www.mastercard.com/global/currencyconversion/

So yesterday you got 1€=0.753860£, are you saying that revolut was worse than that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement