Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Have they confirmed the introduction of charges?

Not yet and the earliest they can do it is 12 month after a person becomes a customer (not availability of the card).

Even if they would introduce fees today it would not hit you until you have the card for 12 month.
    The Revolut App and multi-currency card are completely free.

Revolut offers the interbank exchange rate and applies no charges or fees. We guarantee this for the first 12 months of being a Revolut customer.

Coming back to the questions about how long does a refund (done by a vendor) take.

Amazon gave me a refund for shipping charges late yesterday evening, I got their refund issued notification this morning and within 15 minutes the credit was on my revolut £ balance from which I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Coming back to the questions about how long does a refund (done by a vendor) take.

Amazon gave me a refund for shipping charges late yesterday evening, I got their refund issued notification this morning and within 15 minutes the credit was on my revolut £ balance from which I paid.

Yes same thing happened to me with an Amazon refund, however it took about 3 days for refunds from other merchants.

By the way, transactions history is not being updated on my app, and it's only showing transactions up to feb 14.

Anyone has the same issues?

Amouar wrote: »
    Yes same thing happened to me with an Amazon refund, however it took about 3 days for refunds from other merchants.

By the way, transactions history is not being updated on my app, and it's only showing transactions up to feb 14.

Anyone has the same issues?

Nope my account shows yesterday spending and today's credit without a problem.

Nope my account shows yesterday spending and today's credit without a problem.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and all my transaction history disappeared :s

• Advertisement

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and all my transaction history disappeared :s

Ouch.. Sorry can't help you there, I know support is slow but maybe they can help you with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Same here - I posted on here about it a couple of weeks ago. Support have no clue why its happening and are no help, all they have offered is to email me my transaction history in a spreadsheet.

Same here - I posted on here about it a couple of weeks ago.
    Anyone else's transactions disappear from the app?

All my old transactions just disappeared yesterday. Did a withdrawal from an ATM this morning and it's not showing up in the transactions either but has come out of my balance.

Support have no clue why its happening and are no help, all they have offered is to email me my transaction history in a spreadsheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I was on to their support and apparently I have to 'validate' the PIN by using it twice at a Mastercard accredited ATM, and then it should work everywhere. I'll try this tomorrow if I get a chance.

I wasn't in Budapest :s

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

I hate credit cards & don't want to get one but I have a trip to the states coming up in March and need to hire a car which seems to be a no/no with a debit card..

I am thinking getting a prepaid credit card would be an option ... has anyone used one of these to hire a car particularly in the USA or could you foresee any problems?

• Advertisement

Paddy GT wrote: »
    I hate credit cards & don't want to get one but I have a trip to the states coming up in March and need to hire a car which seems to be a no/no with a debit card..

I am thinking getting a prepaid credit card would be an option ... has anyone used one of these to hire a car particularly in the USA or could you foresee any problems?

Can't be used to hire a car, you need a proper credit card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Would it work if you had it topped up enough that they could preauthorise the amount they need to hold?

Jayop wrote: »
    Would it work if you had it topped up enough that they could preauthorise the amount they need to hold?

Nope I tried it before - its the card type the authorisation will fail on, not the amount.

Nope I tried it before - its the card type the authorisation will fail on, not the amount.

I think there has been a discussion about this before, it depends on the car rental agency and what policy they and the local sub-contractor have.

If it was not in this thread it was in the number26 one.

Maybe have a quick search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Paddy GT wrote: »

I work for big car hire company here and our credit card terminal supplied by FEXCO via AIB bank refused to pre-authorise my Revolut card for...1 cent :rolleyes:
    For some reason pre-auth. doesnt work with any amount...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think there has been a discussion about this before, it depends on the car rental agency and what policy they and the local sub-contractor have.

If it was not in this thread it was in the number26 one.

Maybe have a quick search.

Ah just wondering really. If I rent a car I'll just get no excess insurance and don't need a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

After four months I finally managed to make a purchase from Amazon. Very poor response from CS and I had made up my mind that if it didn't work this time I was going to withdraw my balance and throw my hat at it.
    Really good idea with amazing potential, let down by a poor back up service.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Really good idea with amazing potential, let down by a poor back up service.

I agree 100% with that sentiment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I did wonder myself about car rental and these prepaid MasterCard's. Wasn't expecting it to work anyways.

But what about hotel rooms? Preauthorisation security deposits? I hate when hotels do that when you arrive and they take a lump of money of your cc which you don't get back until a day or two after you check out. Happens in the states with me all the time. Can the revolut handle that?

I did wonder myself about car rental and these prepaid MasterCard's. Wasn't expecting it to work anyways.

But what about hotel rooms? Preauthorisation security deposits? I hate when hotels do that when you arrive and they take a lump of money of your cc which you don't get back until a day or two after you check out. Happens in the states with me all the time. Can the revolut handle that?

It would handle it the same as with your debit/credit card, the hotels request would reduce the amount of money you have available on the card until the hotel releases it (which can take a while after check-out) or tells the issuer that it's a final charge.

Now the crucial part, if the hotel is lazy at check-out they simply send a new authorization request over the final charge and that would require you to have enough money on the card to cope with that final amount.

If the hotel does it correctly they either cancel the authorization before requesting the final bill amount or they make the authorization permanent as charge and charge the difference to the total bill than.

Most hotels don't do it, they simply request the final amount and that's that with the original authorization expiring after a while.

Same happens on a credit card, there you however won't see it because of your limit being something else than your balance.

I always ask hotels to make the pre-authorization permanent and charge the difference separately, even with my credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anyone any idea why Revolut think's that Number26 is a U.S. Dollars account?

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea why Revolut think's that Number26 is a U.S. Dollars account?

The BIN range (the 6 starting digits of your card) that Wirecard is using was once used by a bank in the US and some acquirers like Paysafe (Netbank) that Revolut is using for payments is still thinking it's US. It's the same issue when it comes to determining if it's a credit or debit card.

Will sooner or later change but in the meantime make sure you change the settings to top up in Euro so that your get you full value.

I just topped up using Number26 Mastercard - I got a message about u.s. dollars but i just said go ahead and top up in euro. It worked and when i went back to Revolut it said verify your card and I got the 4 digits from Number 26 and card is now verified so I can top up between PTSB Visa and Number26 Mastercard for topping up Revolut.

I just did a 2nd top up - i had to input my 3 digit code from the back and it said us dollars again but it went through - it warned me i might have to use 3d password which of course i don't have set up but it went through as well.

I just did a 2nd top up - i had to input my 3 digit code from the back and it said us dollars again but it went through - it warned me i might have to use 3d password which of course i don't have set up but it went through as well.

Number26 does not offer Mastercard Secure Code, which is unfortunate and really Wirecard should get that sorted.

Revolut might temporary delay larger amounts if you top up via a card that does not do Mastercard Secure Code/Verified by Visa.

Thanks Yggr of Asgard that's good to know about MSC. I had hoped to use Number26 via mybillls.ie to purchase a solidarity bond over €1,500 but that is the limit so you cant go over it -pity.

Mind you not 100% they will accept the Number26 Mastercard now that it's a debit card.

Thanks Yggr of Asgard that's good to know about MSC. I had hoped to use Number26 via mybillls.ie to purchase a solidarity bond over €1,500 but that is the limit so you cant go over it -pity.

Mind you not 100% they will accept the Number26 Mastercard now that it's a debit card.

mybills.ie does not accept number26 cards at this time.

You might want to drop them an e-mail and ask their IT department to look into this as the card is classified as Debit and Irish so in theory it should be accepted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What charges does this occur in the US? Can you even use debit cards much there?

Some atms charge you and some dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

I looked back through the thread to see if this was answered If you use the Revolut Card on your Paypal account vs using say an AIB Card, does Paypal convert the currency first or do they bill the card in GBP, USB etc and you save on the exchange rate. Or should you just use the Revolut card and avoid paypal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I looked back through the thread to see if this was answered If you use the Revolut Card on your Paypal account vs using say an AIB Card, does Paypal convert the currency first or do they bill the card in GBP, USB etc and you save on the exchange rate. Or should you just use the Revolut card and avoid paypal?

Just change in paypal to be billed in sellers currency(GBP,USD etc) and use revolut.Paypal has very bad rates.I bought hard drive yesterday for 50Ł ,paypal exchange was 67 euro,revolut 64 :D

• Advertisement

Same here - I posted on here about it a couple of weeks ago.

Support have no clue why its happening and are no help, all they have offered is to email me my transaction history in a spreadsheet.

Can you see your newest transactions history ?

I can't see any transactions any more. I do get the notification but the transaction list is empty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement