Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Yggr, thanks for that.

I am in the process of installing app now and will sign up for card later.
    I think it will work ok for me as i am sure there are some problem with all these cards.
    The exchange rate seems better than an post and its not the end of world if it not work.

many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yggr, thanks for that.

I am in the process of installing app now and will sign up for card later.
    I think it will work ok for me as i am sure there are some problem with all these cards.
    The exchange rate seems better than an post and its not the end of world if it not work.

many thanks

The rates are way better than the "commission free" rates that AnPost is offering on it's card or cash in the Post office.

Now remember that on weekends Revolut has awfully rates for some currencies as they bake in possible variances, so check before using it or buy currency in advance.

i am having difficulty with this, does anyone know what below means, thanks...

Revolut - Foreign Exchange

Revolut Technologies

You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app (the white shopping bag icon) on your device with this email account.
    Learn more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

i am having difficulty with this, does anyone know what below means, thanks...

Revolut - Foreign Exchange

Revolut Technologies

You haven't accessed the Google Play Store app (the white shopping bag icon) on your device with this email account.
    Learn more
    What phone are you using & how did you download/install the app?

ongarite wrote: »
    What phone are you using & how did you download/install the app?

laptop and download, i am no good at this..
    i cannot any icon with white bag in apps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

My card just arrived in the post, looks nifty. I'll verify and try put a tenner from my debit card on it tonight and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My suggestion is to check the PIN (or even change it) in the app and than go to an ATM at a main bank (not one of those free standing one in shops) and try again.

I had also problems with Ulster Bank ATM's so maybe use a PTSB ATM.

As they say in their FAQ (bold is mine):

Anyone having Issues with their Card in ATM or at Terminals, i had the same issues i could never get it working.

So after back and forth with Support on it the key is to update the pin in your app make sure that it is unblocked on the app first.

Then find a mastercard (eurocard) terminal they can be located easily here on Mastercards websites

https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/locate-an-atm.html

Make sure to select Chip and Pin when searching via the map. Also be careful in shopping centres as on the maps they are bunched together and some terminals may not be mastercard eurocard compliant even if they are the same bank branch. For me one of the Older BOI terminals worked a charm.

And from then on my card now works in all ATMs and POI terminals after that initial activation.

I also had to choose Sterling rate when withdrawing from the ATM (the first Time)

Anyway this worked for me, may help others.

So for the first time I use my card I can't do a POS at all? I don't want to be charged 12c by using it in an ATM first.

So for the first time I use my card I can't do a POS at all? I don't want to be charged 12c by using it in an ATM first.

Checking you balance will be sufficient , you will get an error message that it's not supported but the PIN will be validated and written back onto the CHIP.

Well I tried to top up with my ulster bank debit card and it failed. It said check.your address may not be the same as your bank card. As far as I know it is. Feck sake like. Money was taken from my bank. How long will this take to get refunded?
    Do I have to advise revolut customer service of the failure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just wondering when you use these cards are you given the option of cashback? Don't ever remember being asked in a shop if I wanted cashback. If so that would be an option to get cash. I have a feeling though these cards are treated as credit cards so that would rule that out.

Well I tried to top up with my ulster bank debit card and it failed. It said check.your address is the same as your bank card. As far as I know it is. Feck sake like. Money was taken from my bank. How long will this take to get refunded?
    Do I have to advise revolut customer service of the failure?

I hope you tried it with a small amount given that several posters here have reported that UB has problems with the AVS.

According to the FAQ:
    .... it can take up to 5 working days for the money to return to your available balance in your bank account.

There does not seam to be an understanding what part of the AVS actually fails.

Bank transfer might be the better choice if you bank with Ulster Bank.

I hope you tried it with a small amount given that several posters here have reported that UB has problems with the AVS.

According to the FAQ:

There does not seam to be an understanding what part of the AVS actually fails.

Bank transfer might be the better choice if you bank with Ulster Bank.

€10..... I'm assuming I'm gonna get it back. I left a message for the support team. Its off to a bad start anyways. I was afraid of this.

s_carnage wrote: »
    Just wondering when you use these cards are you given the option of cashback? Don't ever remember being asked in a shop if I wanted cashback. If so that would be an option to get cash. I have a feeling though these cards are treated as credit cards so that would rule that out.

The only way to get a definite answer to that one is to ask the store because it comes down to what the card is shown there.

From what I understand it's coded as credit card (prepaid variant) so there should no cashback been offered, however I have on one or two receipts seen this referred to as "debit" so it seams to depend on the acquirer of the transaction.

€10..... I'm assuming I'm gonna get it back. I left a message for the support team. Its off to a bad start anyways. I was afraid of this.

Fair enough, you get the money back as it's just a pre-authorization.

There seams to be something that Ulster Bank is sending back to paysafe bank when they send an address verification request that throw paysafe into "deny" mode.

You could log a complaint with Ulster Bank for them to find out what code they returned to paysafe bank and than contact revolut if you want to get to the bottom of it.

Fair enough, you get the money back as it's just a pre-authorization.

There seams to be something that Ulster Bank is sending back to paysafe bank when they send an address verification request that throw paysafe into "deny" mode.

You could log a complaint with Ulster Bank for them to find out what code they returned to paysafe bank and than contact revolut if you want to get to the bottom of it.

What's the normal wait period for somthing like this to be returned to my bank account?
    Would the same thing happen again if I did a bank transfer?

What's the normal wait period for somthing like this to be returned to my bank account?

Technically it never left your bank account, Revolut never got these funds. Ulster bank has just reserved the funds when a request was made for the funds, just before they responded to the AVS in a way that did not complete the transaction.

Depending on the bank it can take a few minutes to 10 days before the authorization expires, it's down to how UB processes this. Usually it take 5 days according to Revoluts experience on their FAQ.

As to bank transfer, as you do the bank transfer to revolut, it should not create any issues.

You however need to make sure to choose the right bank account (details in the App), do a SEPA transfer to that account and make sure that you put the required reference numbers (again details in the App) into the reference field of the transaction.

The money should be there next business day with revolut than needing another day to process it. However experience show that sometimes they process faster or slower.

Technically it never left your bank account, Revolut never got these funds. Ulster bank has just reserved the funds when a request was made for the funds, just before they responded to the AVS in a way that did not complete the transaction.

Depending on the bank it can take a few minutes to 10 days before the authorization expires, it's down to how UB processes this. Usually it take 5 days according to Revoluts experience on their FAQ.

As to bank transfer, as you do the bank transfer to revolut, it should not create any issues.

You however need to make sure to choose the right bank account (details in the App), do a SEPA transfer to that account and make sure that you put the required reference numbers (again details in the App) into the reference field of the transaction.

The money should be there next business day with revolut than needing another day to process it. However experience show that sometimes they process faster or slower.

Thanks for that, I'll wait for the €10 to pop up again in my UB account and then I'll try a transfer.

Thanks for that, I'll wait for the €10 to pop up again in my UB account and then I'll try a transfer.

Just make sure that you enter the reference number into the appropriate field in your transfer order at ulster bank. If they have the option to enter an end to end reference, make sure you enter it there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

Please complain to Ulster Bank. As you'll see from my posts - I originally posted about this issue. I've written to Ulster Bank and I've been told that they will investigate further.
    Like you I've been told my address is what I've entered into the Revolut App.
    Currently Ulster Bank are only aware of my issue. If you contact them it will prove that there is more than customer affected and maybe they'll take action.

You can do the bank transfer option but naturally you'll be waiting up to 48 hours from the time you set it up until it arrives in your Revolut account. You won't be affected by the AVS issue doing this option. I've done two tests so far.

Don't worry you'll get the money back - around 3-4 working days.

Note I have family members who are with Ulster and use Revolut but don't have the AVS issue.

Incredibly annoying and frustrating as I was really enjoying using Revolut.

Guess I can only wait until Ulster Bank gets the finger out......

• Advertisement

Please complain to Ulster Bank. As you'll see from my posts - I originally posted about this issue. I've written to Ulster Bank and I've been told that they will investigate further.
    Like you I've been told my address is what I've entered into the Revolut App.
    Currently Ulster Bank are only aware of my issue. If you contact them it will prove that there is more than customer affected and maybe they'll take action.

You can do the bank transfer option but naturally you'll be waiting up to 48 hours from the time you set it up until it arrives in your Revolut account. You won't be affected by the AVS issue doing this option. I've done two tests so far.

Don't worry you'll get the money back - around 3-4 working days.

Note I have family members who are with Ulster and use Revolut but don't have the AVS issue.

Incredibly annoying and frustrating as I was really enjoying using Revolut.

Guess I can only wait until Ulster Bank gets the finger out......

I'll do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

i saw today Revolut are not matching with xe rates any more like euro to dollar is .043 is diffrence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

lovehathi wrote: »
    i saw today Revolut are not matching with xe rates any more like euro to dollar is .043 is diffrence

It's the weekend, and their weekend rates are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Quick question. I'm shopping in Belfast today and was going to use my brand new Revolut card. Do I need to activate it before it will work? Not withdrawing cash just using it to pay for stuff in store. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Delta2113

remoteboy wrote: »
    Quick question. I'm shopping in Belfast today and was going to use my brand new Revolut card. Do I need to activate it before it will work? Not withdrawing cash just using it to pay for stuff in store. Thanks.

Checking your balance at an ATM will be sufficient , you will get an error message that it's not supported but the PIN will be validated and written back onto the CHIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I just tried to use my Revolut card to pay for something through Paypal and it says the card I provided can not be used and to try another card. Im not connecting it to my paypal account, just simply trying to use it to pay. Very strange considering when I entered the details it took $1 from the account.

The particular website I want to buy from only uses Paypal so Ive not way to pay for this item.

Amouar wrote: »
    It's the weekend, and their weekend rates are crap.
    You think that rate is crap? Try your normal bank card if you think thats crap!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I just tried to use my Revolut card to pay for something through Paypal and it says the card I provided can not be used and to try another card. Im not connecting it to my paypal account, just simply trying to use it to pay. Very strange considering when I entered the details it took $1 from the account.

The particular website I want to buy from only uses Paypal so Ive not way to pay for this item.

Be careful with using Revolut to pay through PayPal without the card being connected to your PayPal account. Your Revolut card will be debited in sterling, regardless of what the seller's currency is, which means you could be hit by PayPal's sausy currency conversion fees.

Quackster wrote: »
    Be careful with using Revolut to pay through PayPal without the card being connected to your PayPal account. Your Revolut card will be debited in sterling, regardless of what the seller's currency is, which means you could be hit by PayPal's sausy currency conversion fees.

Its from the UK anyway, so Sterling is what I want. The problem is that it wont accept the card. Ive tried 3 times now. Twice on the payment screen of the website Im trying to buy from, and also once while directly logged into paypals website and adding a card. Every time I try and takes another dollar from my Revolut account but for some reason it wont accept the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

You think that rate is crap? Try your normal bank card if you think thats crap!

It's crap compares to their week day rates. There is no question that it's still better than normal banks, but Number26 is probably better on the week end :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement