Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Amouar wrote: »
    It's crap compares to their week day rates. There is no question that it's still better than normal banks, but Number26 is probably better on the week end :)

Yes, the main currencies are better on number26 over the weekend.

In fact the standard MasterCard/Visa rates are better than revolut on the weekend, it's just that banks put up additional conversion charges onto it. Number26 does not which is why they are better.

Also since the fair usage policy some rates are now better directly at number26 (Example Thai Bath), so as usually compare if you want to save some money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Revolut support has told me the payment processing they use is not fully supported with Paypal. Wish they were more clear about that on their website, Paypal being huge. I wouldnt have transferred the money into the Revolut account if I had known as it takes days to go back to my bank account.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Revolut support has told me the payment processing they use is not fully supported with Paypal. Wish they were more clear about that on their website, Paypal being huge. I wouldnt have transferred the money into the Revolut account if I had known as it takes days to go back to my bank account.

That's strange. I've had no issues (apart from what I've mentioned above) using my card with PayPal. Why would some cards work and others not?

Quackster wrote: »
    That's strange. I've had no issues (apart from what I've mentioned above) using my card with PayPal. Why would some cards work and others not?

I dont know, it is very strange. I asked him why it was not on their website and he pointed me to this.

"What is not supported with Revolut?
    Some activities are not supported with a Revolut card. You cannot use your card with gambling websites, other payment services and pre-paid cards."

He said "Unfortunately our service provider does not currently officially support Paypal - it therefore works rather inconsistently".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

So I have m y card and am off on holidays soon . Once card is loaded is it better if I convert € to $ or just let the charges deduct as needed . Which is better or is there any advantage to changing to $ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

sharkman wrote: »
    So I have m y card and am off on holidays soon . Once card is loaded is it better if I convert € to $ or just let the charges deduct as needed . Which is better or is there any advantage to changing to $ ?

Leave them in euros I'd say.

sharkman wrote: »

It comes down to your preference.

If you use the card to pay in $ it will convert the charge automatically to € at the applicable rate on the day of the charge with the good Revolut Rate (exception on weekends where the rate is not as good).

If you pre-convert € to $ you know what you paid on that date and as long as you only spend $ that you have in the wallet you know exactly what you pay when you pay. This way if you want to know what 100$ is, you know it in advance.

If the rate improves you don't get the benefit, if the rate get's worse you are safe because you locked it in.

Really depends on how you personally do things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

It comes down to your preference.

If you use the card to pay in $ it will convert the charge automatically to € at the applicable rate on the day of the charge with the good Revolut Rate (exception on weekends where the rate is not as good).

If you pre-convert € to $ you know what you paid on that date and as long as you only spend $ that you have in the wallet you know exactly what you pay when you pay. This way if you want to know what 100$ is, you know it in advance.

If the rate improves you don't get the benefit, if the rate get's worse you are safe because you locked it in.

Really depends on how you personally do things.

There was a bug previously which caused a transaction to be declined if it's in a currency where its revolut balance is below the transaction cost even if enough money is available in another currency.

Example: £ balance is 10£ and Euros balance is 200 Euros. Transaction requested of 20£ pounds will be declined as revolut will only look at the £ balance.

Do you guys know if the bug is still there?

There was a bug previously which caused a transaction to be declined if it's in a currency where its revolut balance is below the transaction cost even if enough money is available in another currency.

Example: £ balance is 10£ and Euros balance is 200 Euros. Transaction requested of 20£ pounds will be declined as revolut will only look at the £ balance.

That scenario will happened if your base currency for the account/card is set to £.

As a customer in Ireland the base currency should be set to € which would have avoided the decline as it would look at the €.

Get onto customer service and ask them what you base currency is, if it's not € they can change it.

That scenario will happened if your base currency for the account/card is set to £.

As a customer in Ireland the base currency should be set to € which would have avoided the decline as it would look at the €.

Get onto customer service and ask them what you base currency is, if it's not € they can change it.

So if my base currency is € and i have a balance of 10£. If there is a transaction of 20£ , it will directly take it from my Euro balance as the £ is not enough?

• Advertisement

So if my base currency is € and i have a balance of 10£. If there is a transaction of 20£ , it will directly take it from my Euro balance as the £ is not enough?

In theory if there is no glitch yes, it has done that for me in the past with $ where I had a rest available but not enough, it got taken from both $ and € balance.

But as always with Revolut, YMMV.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

How much savings can you expect to make on Amazon UK using this?

How much savings can you expect to make on Amazon UK using this?

That depends on your shopping habit, obviously if you are an addict you are going to save way more than just occasional shopping.

But who in his right mind would use the Amazon Currency Conversion option anyhow unless they expect to return the item?

You safe what ever the spread is between your own banks rate (including fees) and what revoluts rate is.

Of if you use Amazon Currency Conversion the difference there, which can be rather high.

Take for example an item that costs 51.24£, if you use Revolut you would pay 65.76€ with Amazon Currency Converter its 68.43€ saving you 2.67€ and you bank might charge you approx. 67.60€ depending on how high their conversion charge is (I assume the cheaper 1.75%) so again a saving of 1.85€.

So the more you shop the more you save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Checking your balance at an ATM will be sufficient , you will get an error message that it's not supported but the PIN will be validated and written back onto the CHIP.

Just a quick user story... I was struggling with my Revolut card today that would work fine in an ATM but never worked in a POS machine, it just said Wrong PIN every time. Tried changing PIN in the app, going to an ATM (from the Mastercard list) and withdrawing cash, that worked fine, but then card still wouldn't work in a POS machine.

Anyway, tried again today - withdrew cash from ATM but also noticed an option on the ATM screen "Unlock PIN" - did that and huzzah! Card worked in POS terminal.

For those travelling I would recommend putting a few quid on the card in Euro, and making sure you can do a withdrawal and a POS transaction before stepping on a plane...

TL;DR: Try "Unlock PIN" in a bank ATM if your card doesn't work at a till.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Battery Kinzie

That depends on your shopping habit, obviously if you are an addict you are going to save way more than just occasional shopping.

But who in his right mind would use the Amazon Currency Conversion option anyhow unless they expect to return the item?

You safe what ever the spread is between your own banks rate (including fees) and what revoluts rate is.

Of if you use Amazon Currency Conversion the difference there, which can be rather high.

I just mean a general percentage savings.

For example, I'm looking to buy something on Amazon for £170, which is coming to €224 if I pay in Euro and get free delivery. I know it'd be cheaper with Revolut, I'm just wondering approximately how much cheaper to know whether it's worth signing up for.

Cheers

Edit: I just saw your edit. With the current exchange rate, the price of what I'm buying is €216, so my savings will be about €8, correct?

For example, I'm looking to buy something on Amazon for £170, which is coming to €224 if I pay in Euro and get free delivery. I know it'd be cheaper with Revolut, I'm just wondering approximately how much cheaper to know whether it's worth signing up for.

170£ would be 218.19€ at the moment on Revolut and you would still get the free delivery.

The Revolut app tells me that right now (23:38) your £170 will cost €218.16, so a saving of an unhealthy octopus(*).

That's about a 2.5% saving.

(*) Sick squid. Six quid.

The Revolut app tells me that right now (23:38) your £170 will cost €218.16.

That is the challenge with Revolut, the course changes throughout the day while Amazon / Visa / MasterCard fix their rates once a day.

And with the political issues over there the spot rate is going up/down like crazy.

That is the challenge with Revolut, the course changes throughout the day while Amazon / Visa / MasterCard fix their rates once a day.

And with the political issues over there the spot rate is going up/down like crazy.

Agreed - but unless you're transferring thousands of euro, the difference isn't likely to be much more than a pound up or down.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This happened me on the 1st February so the bug was still present then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Quackster wrote: »
    This happened me on the 1st February so the bug was still present then.

I don't know if its the same but it happened to me last night, I had less that what I was spending in £ but had plenty of €.I then tried a transaction that was within my £ balance on another site and my card was declined.

I don't know if its the same but it happened to me last night, I had less that what I was spending in £ but had plenty of €.I then tried a transaction that was within my £ balance on another site and my card was declined.

That worries me now.

Have you queried with support your base currency and if this now by design instead of a bug?

That worries me now.

Have you queried with support your base currency and if this now by design instead of a bug?

Tried twice yesterday and the day before. No reply from them...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

That worries me now.

I contacted support last night asking why the transactions failed but haven't heard back yet.

Just got back a reply and they say that there is no such thing as primary currency. You just top up in any currency and use that currency.

So I guess the bug is here to stay until it's fixed.

Just got back a reply and they say that there is no such thing as primary currency. You just top up in any currency and use that currency.

So I guess the bug is here to stay until it's fixed.

Now that is just wrong. Support recently told me that they needed to check my base currency when I asked in which order foreign currencies are processed:

https://twitter.com/RevolutApp/status/694562312565428224

And if the answer was true, than why would something get declined. It's a bug than?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this part of the fair usage policy:

"ATM usage is FREE for up to £500 / €650 / $700 (or equivalent) a month, after which there will be a 2% fee applied to further ATM withdrawals until the end of the month."

Does this mean that I could say, withdraw €650 on the 28th Feb, and then another €650 fee-free on the 1st March?

Or would it be that I would be charged fees for a 30 day period after the first €650 withdrawal?

Have asked support but no answer, so wondering if anyone else knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Peadar06

Hi all,

Tried to take money out from this card and it said doesn't work on automated machines like ATMs, can anyone advise me how to get money out when I have loaded money on it.

Peter

Peadar06 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Tried to take money out from this card and it said doesn't work on automated machines like ATMs, can anyone advise me how to get money out when I have loaded money on it.

Peter

It does work in ATMs. Put in card, enter pin and withdraw funds. Nothing more to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Peadar06 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Peter

Hi Peter,
    You need to activate the card

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement