Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The crappy limit on ATM withdrawals pretty much renders this useless for me after a brief love affair. It was very handy in China and Thailand recently where POS isn't always an option. So, following a brief chat with a nice German lady I've added Number26 to my portfolio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭mossy464

Going to the UK at the weekend and planning on withdrawing sterling from an ATM over there with my Revolut card.

Apart from topping up and exchanging on the app is there anything else I need to do. I haven't used the card yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mossy464 wrote: »
    Going to the UK at the weekend and planning on withdrawing sterling from an ATM over there with my Revolut card.

Apart from topping up and exchanging on the app is there anything else I need to do. I haven't used the card yet.

You can now only withdraw a maximum of £500 per month without a fee, after that you get hit by a 2% fee.

There is no need to exchange to £ in the app unless you want to lock in todays exchange rate.

Once you are at an ATM simple put card in, enter your PIN and it should work. If it does not look for an "unlock PIN" option and use that first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Can you get cash back on the card?

If so, would that circumvent the monthly ATM withdrawal fair usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

I'm thinking of buying a big ticket item (a car) up north using this. What would be the safest way to transfer about 12k STG?

• Advertisement

djmarkus wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a big ticket item (a car) up north using this. What would be the safest way to transfer about 12k STG?

When you say using this you don't mean the card but rather the bank transfer function?

The amount is over the allowed spending limits for card usage, I suggest you check the FAQ.

As to using this as bank transfer option, you would not transfer £, you would load € and than kick off a bank transfer in £. However for that amount you need to provide them with proof of funds and will see a delay.

Have you shopped around with other currency transfer options? There are loads around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I got my tenner back to my Ulster bank account after the failed debit card Top-Up I did on friday. Now to do a bank transfer and see how I get on with it.

Is it a good idea to do a transfer from the Ulster bank mobile app or log onto the laptop and do it? Never did it through my phone app before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

When you say using this you don't mean the card but rather the bank transfer function?

The amount is over the allowed spending limits for card usage, I suggest you check the FAQ.

As to using this as bank transfer option, you would not transfer £, you would load € and than kick off a bank transfer in £. However for that amount you need to provide them with proof of funds and will see a delay.

Have you shopped around with other currency transfer options? There are loads around.

Well, CurrencyFair may be another option...

What would you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

I got my tenner back to my Ulster bank account after the failed debit card Top-Up I did on friday. Now to do a bank transfer and see how I get on with it.

Is it a good idea to do a transfer from the Ulster bank mobile app or log onto the laptop and do it? Never did it through my phone app before.

You'll have to log on to the main website because it's an international transfer (going to a GB account) and you don't get the option in the mobile app to do this.
    UB really should add this option in the mobile app - can't see why it's omitted.

Did you get around to complaining to Ulster Bank about the top up issue yet?

I'm going to call them later today (hopefully) and ask for an update.

You'll have to log on to the main website because it's an international transfer (going to a GB account) and you don't get the option in the mobile app to do this.
    UB really should add this option in the mobile app - can't see why it's omitted.

Did you get around to complaining to Ulster Bank about the top up issue yet?

I'm going to call them later today (hopefully) and ask for an update.

I was in Ulster bank Liffey valley yesturday and I said it to them. Honestly they didn't look to interested on what I was on about and if they pass on the info or not I don't know.

I'll log onto the website on the laptop later and get this thing going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Few weeks ago topping up my card was no bother. Tried it today wouldn't top up. I am also with Ulster bank. Just strange that it used to work and now won't top up. Rang Ulster bank. No issues on their end they said. They can't see no activity leaving my account. I texted Revolution support. No word back yet. Quite annoying.

Billydoc wrote: »
    Few weeks ago topping up my card was no bother. Tried it today wouldn't top up. I am also with Ulster bank. Just strange that it used to work and now won't top up. Rang Ulster bank. No issues on their end they said. They can't see no activity leaving my account. I texted Revolution support. No word back yet. Quite annoying.

I did query my failed top up on Friday with revolut and they never bothered to get back to me. Anyways I got my money back this morning as it was floating around in holding. I'm attempting a bank transfer with this card this evening and see what happens. Its a rocky start for me. I think I should have went number 26 to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

Billydoc wrote: »

You'll have to make a formal complaint to UB to get any results. Front line staff are oblivious to the issue and will state (although correctly) that the address on UB's system matches with what you've entered in to your Revolut app.
    There is something underlying between UB and intermediary processing house that is causing the top up to fail.
    This occurred first on Jan 19th for me and Revolut told me that this was the date they implemented their AVS check for Irish customers.

I keep telling UB that my PTSB top up works every time regardless how my address is structured in the app. So it's an issue that involves UB.

Send the complaint to Revolut as well but to be honest they'll wash their hands of the issue. They don't really care and are frustrating to deal with.

Spoke to UB today by phone and was told that they will contact Revolut directly. An email they sent to them was ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'm heading to Morocco next month, which currently isn't a supported country/currency. Any idea if I'll still be able to use the physical debit card for ATM withdrawls/POS purchases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Just back from a short trip to NY, used the card in ATMs and at POS pretty regularly and topped up a couple of times, no hiccups, no problems (well other than spending all my money).

I can confirm that a TD Bank ATM did not charge me any fees to withdraw cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Just back from a short trip to NY, used the card in ATMs and at POS pretty regularly and topped up a couple of times, no hiccups, no problems (well other than spending all my money).

I can confirm that a TD Bank ATM did not charge me any fees to withdraw cash.
    Good to hear, I'm heading out in 3 weeks and have my card loaded up! Are TD bank the only ATM that don't charge fees? Is there many of their ATM 's in manhattan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

toby2111 wrote: »
    Good to hear, I'm heading out in 3 weeks and have my card loaded up! Are TD bank the only ATM that don't charge fees? Is there many of their ATM 's in manhattan?

I wouldn't load the card up as you say. There is no fraud protection with revolut so just top it up as and when you need the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

I used TD Bank in Manhattan and no charge. Saw several branches. Capital One Bank also did not charge. CHASE and Citi wanted $3 for cash withdraws. I also had issues in some shops they would ask is it debit or credit card I would say debit and transaction would not go through. Once they put it through as credit no problem.

ROVER wrote: »
    I used TD Bank in Manhattan and no charge. Saw several branches. Capital One Bank also did not charge. CHASE and Citi wanted $3 for cash withdraws. I also had issues in some shops they would ask is it debit or credit card I would say debit and transaction would not go through. Once they put it through as credit no problem.

The machine in the shop asking Debit/Credit is normal in the US due to the fact that some of their cards work both as credit and debit (with PIN) and one cost less than the other.

As Revolut is coded as Credit card you need to choose credit.

I wouldn't load the card up as you say. There is no fraud protection with revolut so just top it up as and when you need the money.
    Is this true? Is there no Mastercard protection?

• Advertisement

Is this true? Is there no Mastercard protection?

From their FAQ:

"There is no fraud protection for your pre-paid card as stated by ‘The UK Cards Association’, therefore any money used in a fraudulent transaction will not be reimbursed"

https://revolut.com/faq

Ok, thanks for that.
    I've a couple hundred euro loaded on mine to use in the states in 3 weeks time. I won't load up anymore. The only thing now is - will it cost me a fortune in data charges to use revolut app to top up while I'm in the states..... Or do most stores have free WiFi over there??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Ok, thanks for that.
    I've a couple hundred euro loaded on mine to use in the states in 3 weeks time. I won't load up anymore. The only thing now is - will it cost me a fortune in data charges to use revolut app to top up while I'm in the states..... Or do most stores have free WiFi over there??

everywhere has free wifi in the states, you'll have no problem finding somewhere to top up quickly.

In relation to fraud protection, you have no cover with your normal visa/mastercard (credit card) if you put money on it. You are only covered for 'their money' not 'your money', meaning that if you are not in debt on your credit card, you're not covered.

Ok, thanks for that.

Loads of free Wifi around, you can always stand in front of a Starbucks for example.

But I would strongly suggest you engage a VPN when using free WiFi to top up your Revolut card. Too much financial information to go over unprotected WiFi.

Look at something like zenmate.com which offers nice apple/android free VPN solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

What you can also do is to top up before traveling, and then block your card. Unblock it when you need it and then block it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

I'm heading over to the UK in a couple of weeks. I have a revolut and number 26 card but I have not used either yet.
    Which one would you recommend to use? I am with Ulster bank also so I'm concerned with the problems people seem to have with revolut transferring money over.
    I am thinking at the moment it might be less hassle just to pay the atm charge over there in case it doesn't work out

Amouar wrote: »
    What you can also do is to top up before traveling, and then block your card. Unblock it when you need it and then block it again.

Good idea! Doesn't help you though if Revolut were to close down suddenly.

Look at something like zenmate.com which offers nice apple/android free VPN solution.
    Thanks, just downloaded the zenmate app from the play store, I'll have a look at it later.
    Just transfered my revolut balance back to my Perm TSB account for safety. How long will it take to hit my a/c?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭insullation

Thanks, just downloaded the zenmate app from the play store, I'll have a look at it later.
    Just transfered my revolut balance back to my Perm TSB account for safety. How long will it take to hit my a/c?

about 3 workings days from my experience with PTSB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I'm heading over to the UK in a couple of weeks. I have a revolut and number 26 card but I have not used either yet.
    Which one would you recommend to use? I am with Ulster bank also so I'm concerned with the problems people seem to have with revolut transferring money over.
    I am thinking at the moment it might be less hassle just to pay the atm charge over there in case it doesn't work out

I would put all my spending money on the Number26 card in advance. You can then use your Number26 card to top up your Revolut card on a needs-be day-to-day basis while you're over there or (when the Number26 rate is better at the weekend or if you have any issues using Revolut) just spend/withdraw directly using your Number26 card. Best of both worlds!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement