Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Good idea! Doesn't help you though if Revolut were to close down suddenly.

Your money is in a ring fenced protected account. even if revoulut went tits up, you would be entitled to your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Quackster wrote: »
    I would put all my spending money on the Number26 card in advance. You can then use your Number26 card to top up your Revolut card on a needs-be day-to-day basis while you're over there or (when the Number26 rate is better at the weekend or if you have any issues using Revolut) just spend/withdraw directly using your Number26 card. Best of both worlds!

Great idea! And with Number26, you get a proper fraud protection, so no reason to worry about topping up in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

irishgeo wrote: »
    Your money is in a ring fenced protected account. even if revoulut went tits up, you would be entitled to your money back.

That's an optimistic way of looking at it, but the reality could be very different, so I choose not to leave more than 20 quid on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

irishgeo wrote: »
    That's an optimistic way of looking at it, but the reality could be very different, so I choose not to leave more than 20 quid on it.

Maybe keeping a big sum of money on your Revolut card isn't the best course of action, but the following seems to indicate a fair level of security for your money? Are Barclay's any more likely to go belly-up than any of the Irish banks most of us bank with?

I'm half-tempted to transfer a few hundred into sterling (for future Amazon.co.uk purchases), given the weakness of sterling since the Brexit referendum. :p
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#rule1

All prepaid cards listed below are backed by a bank or building society. When you load cash onto a prepaid card, your cash goes into a ring-fenced account, separate from the prepaid card provider's account.

So, if the prepaid card company goes bust, the bank or building society where your money's resting will still retain your cash.

The slight risk comes if the bank or building society backing the prepaid card goes bust, as your cash is NOT protected.

Sadly, with prepaid cards, the cash is counted as 'electronic money' rather than as a normal current account or savings deposit, so it's not covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.

Therefore, think of your prepaid card as one that you'll keep cash on only for immediate spending requirements, rather than as a place to store heaps of it.
    And a bit further down, under the Revolut review.
    Revolut's card provider Optimal Payments is FCA regulated, meaning money you deposit is ring-fenced (in a Barclays account), so in the event there are problems with Revolut, the money's safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RickyBobby1

Quackster wrote: »
    I would put all my spending money on the Number26 card in advance. You can then use your Number26 card to top up your Revolut card on a needs-be day-to-day basis while you're over there or (when the Number26 rate is better at the weekend or if you have any issues using Revolut) just spend/withdraw directly using your Number26 card. Best of both worlds!

Good idea but how long does it take to transfer from Ulster bank to number 26 and how long for number 26 to revolut?
    Sorry although I have the cards I don't have a clue how to use them 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Revolut just announced 2% ATM withdrawal fee.

https://revolut.com/fairusage

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭inel

soirish wrote: »
    Revolut just announced 2% ATM withdrawal fee.

https://revolut.com/fairusage

It has been mentioned days ago. You are not following :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

everywhere has free wifi in the states, you'll have no problem finding somewhere to top up quickly.
    Or just be a customer of 3 UK and be able to use your data allowance in the states :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Or just be a customer of 3 UK and be able to use your data allowance in the states :p

Or use Vodafone Ireland's RED Roaming thingy and get data and calls for 3(ish) quid a day!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Good idea but how long does it take to transfer from Ulster bank to number 26 and how long for number 26 to revolut?
    Sorry although I have the cards I don't have a clue how to use them ðŸ˜႒

Transferring from an Irish account to Number26 should take no more than one business day (although some others have previously mentioned it taking a day or two longer from Ulster Bank as they don't seem to be properly complying with SEPA).

Loading your Revolut account from Number26 is instant if you use your Number26 debit card as opposed to doing a bank transfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 adwas

are people still experiencing issues with topping up their revolut accounts with Ulster Bank Debit card or any other cards?
    I raised it to them of number of occasions and although i got couple of revolut agents to reply to me , these were all template based responses with no value added to resolve the issue. the customer service is beyond poor!

Just wanted to check if a lot of people are still experiencing similar issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Wish people would take the hint and move account's from Ulster Bank to PTSB or EBS for example.

Ulster Bank have a poor I.T. record and it's not getting any better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭dohouch

ATM gives me money,
    but Lidl POS Terminal says wrong PIN ?????????

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

dohouch wrote: »
    ATM gives me money,
    but Lidl POS Terminal says wrong PIN ?????????

The ATM doesn't seem to have written the PIN to the card's chip. Try doing a PIN change at an ATM and then see if the new PIN works at a POS.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Yes I tried to top up my card yesterday with my ulster bank card and it was rejected.

I contacted support but heard nothing back.

This is the first time it's happened
    adwas wrote: »
    are people still experiencing issues with topping up their revolut accounts with Ulster Bank Debit card or any other cards?
    I raised it to them of number of occasions and although i got couple of revolut agents to reply to me , these were all template based responses with no value added to resolve the issue. the customer service is beyond poor!

Just wanted to check if a lot of people are still experiencing similar issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Wish people would take the hint and move account's from Ulster Bank to PTSB or EBS for example.

Ulster Bank have a poor I.T. record and it's not getting any better.

I'd never give PTSB my business after their defrauding of mortgage holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Delta2113

OU812 wrote: »
    I'd never give PTSB my business after their defrauding of mortgage holders.

Dont cut your nose off despite your face. FREE banking, thank you very much with the 1,500 per month lodgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭OU812

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Dont cut your nose off despite your face. FREE banking, thank you very much with the 1,500 per month lodgement.

I have free banking with Ulster bank. Old legacy account that once it has €1,000 a month in it has no fees.

PTSB are scum. They intentionally didn't give back trackers to those who legally were entitled to them, then continually inflated the variable rate outside of market. People lost their homes, families broke up and people killed themselves because of the financial pressure they were put under. And the only reason they were restored was they were caught out, they fought it with the ombudsman & circle courts and then two families brought them to the high courts and they caved before it got to it because it would have exposed many more.

By the way the expression is "to spite your face", not despite it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Any time I try to raise an issue with support I get the same nonsense automated reply saying for tutorials yada yada yada, it's so frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

just had a transaction of €5.55 from Tesco appear on my app when I am at my desk in work??? anyone get stuff like that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

BrookieD wrote: »
    just had a transaction of €5.55 from Tesco appear on my app when I am at my desk in work??? anyone get stuff like that happen?

Block your card immediately in the App, as your funds are not protected against fraud.

Than call them on +44 (0) 203 322 83 52 to start an investigation.

Block your card immediately in the App, as your funds are not protected against fraud.

Than call them on +44 (0) 203 322 83 52 to start an investigation.

Blocked already to be honest but calling them now - thanks for the number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

BrookieD wrote: »

Don't you need a pin? Hmmm you may have been targeted at an ATM! If you know any ATMs you used recently might be worthwhile reporting it to the bank

Anyway this is one great reason why I love notifications like this from revolut and Number26...

Anyway, at the very least block the card in app and contact support by phone.

Don't you need a pin? Hmmm you may have been targeted at an ATM! If you know any ATMs you used recently might be worthwhile reporting it to the bank

Anyway this is one great reason why I love notifications like this from revolut and Number26...

Anyway, at the very least block the card in app and contact support by phone.

Thats the strange thing, the card has not been used in over a week, no ATM usage at all, only used in the same tesco a couple of times. Part of me is thinking it may be a historic transaction that was pending as it is around my usual spend but a call to Revolut said it was pending from midnight last night... 100% not me.

Being looked into at present but may be getting a new card in the post to be on the safe side.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Card worked perfectly for me in US.

Annoying thing was uber and lyft in the US were not accepting revolut at all. So even minimum fair would have a 50 cent charge.

Also didn't find one atm that did not charge me. Usually 3-4 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Card worked perfectly for me in US.

Annoying thing was uber and lyft in the US were not accepting revolut at all. So even minimum fair would have a 50 cent charge.

Yep, had that same problem when I was in LA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Wow, that's a very high ATM charge. Thought I read here that TD bank have no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

Yes I tried to top up my card yesterday with my ulster bank card and it was rejected.

I contacted support but heard nothing back.

This is the first time it's happened

Had this problem last week, hadn't topped up in a while. Didn't work 3 times in 1 day, got onto support who told me they were working on it, fixed the next day....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

almee wrote: »
    Had this problem last week, hadn't topped up in a while. Didn't work 3 times in 1 day, got onto support who told me they were working on it, fixed the next day....

Are you with Ulster bank? My debit card was rejected but a bank transfer appears to have been successful. Not ideal as the debit card instant top up is what excited me about getting this card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

Card is PTSB, worked in January no problem but decided last week not to allow top ups. Just told me it was unsuccessful. They had it sorted next day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement