Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is anyone having issues with the app forgetting your log in.

Twice in the last few days when I have opened the app I have not been signed in. It then tries to get me to create an account and its difficult to access the log in part for existing customers. It happened the other day at the till and it was really annoying as I had to use my BOI card and I was in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

As I mentioned a few posts back, all of a sudden my Revolut account can't be topped up with my Ulster bank card.

I tried twice on Friday to top up my Revolut card with €175

The transaction failed but the €350 was taken from my Ulster bank account.

I tried to contact support via the app but I haven't got a reply.

Does Revolut have a support have support email address guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

support@revolut.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Delta2113

OU812 wrote: »
    By the way the expression is "to spite your face", not despite it.

Yes sorry I should have got that saying correct and I am glad you have FREE banking with Ulster Bank.

I just hate people paying current account charges when we have free alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭alanbk

Clarify Please.
    I think I have a handle on the revolut card. Could I just ask you boardies a few quick questions.
    1. Can I use the card in the US to withdraw from ATM's up to €650 a month without a fee ?
    2. Can I use the card as a regular Credit Card in the US once I have funds in the account ?
    3. Am I going to run into problems with the card being rejected etc ?
    4. Why use Revolut over an ordinary card ?

Thanks for any help. I think I am clear on most stuff but just want to make sure I haven't missed anything.

• Advertisement

There is a new version of the App which says the following:
    Following user feedback, we have completely overhauled the in app chat to give you guys a better experience

Now let's see if that is true.

alanbk wrote: »
    1. Can I use the card in the US to withdraw from ATM's up to €650 a month without a fee ?

No, you can withdraw $700.
    2. Can I use the card as a regular Credit Card in the US once I have funds in the account ?

Yes funds can be either in the $ wallet or the € wallet.
    3. Am I going to run into problems with the card being rejected etc ?

As with any card you can run into trouble. Make sure to choose "Credit" when prompted at terminals if you wants to use "credit" or "debit".
    4. Why use Revolut over an ordinary card ?

Because you can save money as Revolut does not charge you any foreign conversion charges like a standard Irish Credit Card which can be 1.75% or 2.75% for example depending on your Bank.

Also for ATM withdraws inside the limit above you won't get charged either, which again saves you money over your Irish Debit card.

Also the exchange rate (NOT on weekends) is usually better for $ and £ than the standard MasterCard/Visa rate which makes even more saving.

Or if you convert to $ before your trip you are going to know in advance what each $ did cost you.

However there should be another questions: Why NOT to use Revolt

a.) On Weekends your rate might be worse
    b.) Bad Customer Service
    c.) No fraud protection

With any financial product it comes down to what you want to do and than see if you really have savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭almee

As I mentioned a few posts back, all of a sudden my Revolut account can't be topped up with my Ulster bank card.

I tried twice on Friday to top up my Revolut card with €175

The transaction failed but the €350 was taken from my Ulster bank account.

I tried to contact support via the app but I haven't got a reply.

When I had my problem topping up the money did not leave my PTSB account. I used the in app support and got a response within 10 minutes. So I guess your problem is a bit more complicated.....

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

adwas wrote: »
    are people still experiencing issues with topping up their revolut accounts with Ulster Bank Debit card or any other cards?
    Just wanted to check if a lot of people are still experiencing similar issues?

FYI I'm with Ulster Bank and have successfully topped up from the Debit card a number of times recently ..
    Feb 27th
    Feb 14th
    Feb 12th
    Feb 11th
    Feb 10th
    and once in Jan.

So the problems aren't across the board, but judging by feedback here do seem to affect Ulster Bank Customers more than others.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

toby2111 wrote: »
    Wow, that's a very high ATM charge. Thought I read here that TD bank have no charge.

Yep it was very high, and I checked about a dozen atms from different places. A lot have a minimum fee and then have a percentage based fee of 2-3% so you could be paying more.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Iv also used mine over the phone to pay for my phone bill with three.

I've recently used the revolut card over the phone too... after having a USD transaction fail 8 times over a 4 day period using an online webshop (& having tried various address combinations... so 8x$63 "pending" transactions = $504) I decided to try once more by phone, not really expecting it to work - to my surprise, it worked and I got my confirmation email immediately. Just waiting the 10 business days for my €504 in pending transactions to revert/time out now. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

I've only scanned over the last 5 or so pages here but has anyone having problems with Ulster Bank been able to resolve their problems. ? Must have had 3 or 4 different people from support try to look at it for me but without any luck and their response time is slow to say the least.

Also, anyone know does bank transfers from UB work? Sent a tenner last night to test so guess I'll find out tomorrow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

mgray wrote: »
    I've only scanned over the last 5 or so pages here but has anyone having problems with Ulster Bank been able to resolve their problems. ? Must have had 3 or 4 different people from support try to look at it for me but without any luck and their response time is slow to say the least.

Also, anyone know does bank transfers from UB work? Sent a tenner last night to test so guess I'll find out tomorrow..

I've had the issue since January 19th. Countless emails, tweets and phone calls to Revolut. Must have reformatted my address two dozen times. Sent tons of test 10 euros which failed every time and had to wait up to 4 days for the money to come back into my account.

My PTSB account works with no issue - all the time.

Revolut washed their hands and pushed me to engage with Ulster Bank.
    So I've written to Ulster Bank because any phone call to their call staff isn't entertained seriously.

Currently Revolut tell me that they are engaging with Ulster Bank - only because I tweeted and told them to stop ignoring Ulster Banks emails. Still I have no proof that this is happening. Trying to get an update from Ulster Bank at the moment on where they are at.

Incompetence at the highest order on both sides.
    Yes I've considered leaving Ulster Bank and possibly will if I don't get a resolution.
    PTSB - although I have a current account with them - their app is terrible.
    EBS - no banking app. So couldn't go with them.
    KBC could be an option.
    I am in the process of closing my Number26 account over the ATM stamp duty farce. I've no confidence in them.

Yes bank transfer work fine with Ulster Bank. But take up to two days. So not ideal if you want to buy some thing on Amazon quickly etc.

....has anyone having problems with Ulster Bank been able to resolve their problems. ?

To clarify my situation, i've never had the problems with my UB account that others have experienced so have had nothing to resolve.... yet... fingers crossed.

Thanks Bob.
    msmx5 wrote: »
    To clarify my situation, i've never had the problems with my UB account that others have experienced so have had nothing to resolve.... yet... fingers crossed.

Lucky you, all went wrong for me when i tried to load hotel and spending money to the card the night before going away for weekend only for that money to disappear for 4 days..!!

Was fast losing faith in them till seeing on here is a UB problem, in fairness I did get some decent feedback from them (not just generic emails) so did look like they were trying to sort it, albeit very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 amecullen

Like Bob I have ongoing problems with using my Ulster bank debit card since mid January, (which worked perfectly for several months before hand).
    Again multiple attempts with different address formats, none work.
    No resolution yet from any party.

My current "take" on the situation is that the problem is a combination of the AVS check that revolut introduced in mid January and changes they have made to the app.

Ulster Bank tell me that my postcode on their system is blank. They also tell me that there systems currently do not support the new irish postcode system and they dont have any timescales on when this will be introduced.
    The changes to the revolut app since January, do not allow you to leave the postcode blank, so you must enter something.

I have used different versions of the app and each of them have reformated the address in different ways. First time address line 1 moved into address line 2 and left address line 1 blank, most recent version requires 4 address lines and a postcode to be entered. But there are only three address lines on my ulster bank account.
    I advise anyone that has a working ulster bank card, not to update their address on the app as it may "reformat it" and thus the card may stop working.

On the positive side, I made a bank transfer instead which worked fine, once you carefully follow the instructions and advice on this forum. But I really miss the convenience of being able to use a debit card and I am looking at number26 as a potential alternative.

I found the in app support has really deteriorated so I have stopped using it.

I now send emails to support (24-48 hours to rly) or skype them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Has anyone used this in Australia and has any advice over which ATMs to use?

everywhere has free wifi in the states, you'll have no problem finding somewhere to top up quickly.

In relation to fraud protection, you have no cover with your normal visa/mastercard (credit card) if you put money on it. You are only covered for 'their money' not 'your money', meaning that if you are not in debt on your credit card, you're not covered.

Isn't this in violation of Directive 2007/64/EC which limits the liability of a consumer to a maximum of 150€?

To my understanding even a positive balance is covered by this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Isn't this in violation of Directive 2007/64/EC which limits the liability of a consumer to a maximum of 150€?

To my understanding even a positive balance is covered by this.

I think some companies are appling the rules of that directive and others have yet to do so. As an example; avantcard will not cover the loss of a positive balance on your credit card but AIB will.

Frynge wrote: »
    I think some companies are appling the rules of that directive and others have yet to do so. As an example; avantcard will not cover the loss of a positive balance on your credit card but AIB will.

Wow giving that the directive has been transposed into Irish laws that is unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Wow giving that the directive has been transposed into Irish laws that is unexpected.

Avantcard advised me not to have a positive balance as it would not be insured against fraud about 8 months ago, whereas AIB advised that the €4k i loaded onto the card would be covered against fraud.

Looks like they are acknowledging now there is a problem, here's the response I got today from Revolut on twitter...

@UlsterBank_Help @gray_martin Hey! We're looking into some solutions on our end, but it may take a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

Looks like they are acknowledging now there is a problem, here's the response I got today from Revolut on twitter...

@UlsterBank_Help @gray_martin Hey! We're looking into some solutions on our end, but it may take a while.

And this why I cannot support Ulster Bank anymore.
    They blatantly lie to you in your tweets and say they are not aware of any issue when you clearly stated it was an AVS issue with Revolut and it was affecting other UB customers.
    I raised the issue with the @UlsterBank_Help as well a week or two earlier - so they should be well familiar when AVS and @RevolutApp are mentioned in a tweet.

They were meant to get back to me but never did. I have to constantly ring them and ask for an update. So the Revolut issue aside - the poor Ulster Bank customer service was enough for me to decide to leave them. I've opened a KBC account and will begin the process over moving over my direct debits one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I just made a purchase of $165.10 on Aliexpress. Before the transaction i checked the rate on the app it converted it to €148.93. The transaction went through at €150.77, yet when i check it again after it was €148.93.

Support say it because of their spread for volatility over the weekend, which i can understand the need for, but why are they not advertising (or calculating) at the spread rate then? (They started ignoring me when i asked them that.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Satriale wrote: »
    I just made a purchase of $165.10 on Aliexpress. Before the transaction i checked the rate on the app it converted it to €148.93. The transaction went through at €150.77, yet when i check it again after it was €148.93.

Out of curiosity, how much would it have cost you using your regular bank?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how much would it have cost you using your regular bank?

I'm making it 152.91 just using my AIB Visa s current rates.
    But is there a currency conversion fee on top of that?(says Visa Rest of World 2.75%) that would stick another 4 euros odd onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Tried to pay for stuff on dbrand and it said that address must match address on card!?

Anyone have this problem?

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Has anyone used this in Australia and has any advice over which ATMs to use?

If its just for holidays its fine, most machines charge 2 dollar withdrawal fee for revolut

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Was in London at the weekend and got to use the Revolut card for the first time, loved it. Worked seamlessly and the notifications real-time are pretty cool. Only thing I missed from regular bank card is the contactless option, I've got so used to not having to type PIN all the time but it's OK and worth it. I must have saved a fortune in bank fees.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »

Support say it because of their spread for volatility over the weekend, which i can understand the need for, but why are they not advertising (or calculating) at the spread rate then? (They started ignoring me when i asked them that.)

They got back to me and said the rate was correct, and that my internet connection must have been weak and not updating.
    I think this is sh1te cause I updated the app half an hour before the transaction and my connection is great at home.

Anyone else notice an overcharge on the weekend?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement