Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

How do I update to the latest app version?
    How can i tell what version I have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,515 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Skidrow wrote: »
    How do I update to the latest app version?
    How can i tell what version I have?

go to the profile section the app version is on the bottom of the screen,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Has anyone else completely given up on this because of the UB issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭oinkely

FWIW, I'm with PTSB and the transfers to revolut are instant. Has worked every time so far. No issues at all. Verification would not work with an early version of the app but took all of 30 seconds recently. I've made about 20 transfers int eh last two months, ranging from €10 to €150 and every one has appeared in the app within seconds. One in the last week did not give me the notification but still appeared. Can't fault it from my perspective anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

n1ck wrote: »
    Has anyone else completely given up on this because of the UB issues?

I've given up on UB and am switching to KBC.
    Yes I know Revolut share some of the blame here but I've been frustrated by Ulster Banks lack of action on this issue.
    Each time I call them, I have to explain the entire issue again.
    It's like no record of my issue is being kept and it is so annoying having to repeat myself and being told that they will call me back but they never do.
    I call again for an update and the whole process repeats itself.

Most likely it will be eventually solved either by UB or Revolut making allowances in the AVS but when this will be is anyone's guess.

Yes switching 15 odd direct debits is a bit of a nuisance but I am proactive when it comes to banking and have no loyalty whatsoever to any bank.

As mentioned in another post - they fact the PTSB has always worked for me gave me the confidence that the issue lies with UB and fingers crossed that my KBC debit card will work without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

How about using N26 instead of UB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

oinkely wrote: »
    FWIW, I'm with PTSB and the transfers to revolut are instant. Has worked every time so far. No issues at all. Verification would not work with an early version of the app but took all of 30 seconds recently. I've made about 20 transfers int eh last two months, ranging from €10 to €150 and every one has appeared in the app within seconds. One in the last week did not give me the notification but still appeared. Can't fault it from my perspective anyway.

Same for me, PTSB top ups go through in a few seconds. Only place I had problems using the card abroad were the subway ticket machines in NY as they want you to enter your ZIP code which of course meant I was screwed! Luckily I had a few yankee dollars handy to cover it 'til I could use the Revolut card in an ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

KBC top-ups - no issues.

KBC security actually called me the first time I used it to ask was it a valid payment from myself, since then all go through in about 5seconds.

Amouar wrote: »
    How about using N26 instead of UB?

Yes I hear from other users that it works fine.
    Never tried it myself.
    And I've closed my Number26 account now because of their blanket charge of 5 euros for stamp duty when it should be 12 cent per ATM transaction.

It's not the amount of money - its the laziness on their part / lack of understanding of the regulations in the banking system in Ireland (regardless of how stupid it is to charge stamp duty on debit & credit cards in the first place). Previously they were stating that the stamp duty was to be 30 euro but eventually the backed down and changed it to 5 euro.

I feel I could not use them as my principal bank as I've no confidence in them and also their support can be hit or miss.
    On top of that their cancellation PDF is in German only.
    They've moved to fast to new countries (outside of Germany & Austria) without taking in to account the various regulations and proper language support.

It's a good idea and I was interested in them but they've issues to iron out.

KBC top-ups - no issues.

KBC security actually called me the first time I used it to ask was it a valid payment from myself, since then all go through in about 5seconds.

Cool. Good to know.
    Hopefully I will be back using Revolut soon enough with KBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

No issues transferring funds via BOI. Minor problem with validation that was easily overcome by persistence. Have used the card for months now buying on Amazon, Ebay and in NI and Budapest. I had meant to take a note of savings made for the duration of use, but life and laziness got in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I'm buying a few things off amazon.com to be delivered to my brothers house in New Jersey. I'm going to use my Revolut card but on payment page it gives 2 options once I select Revolut Mastercard:
    -My card is in Pound Sterling
    -My card is in different currency

Do I select different currency,euro or different currency,US dollars?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

toby2111 wrote: »
    I'm buying a few things off amazon.com to be delivered to my brothers house in New Jersey. I'm going to use my Revolut card but on payment page it gives 2 options once I select Revolut Mastercard:
    -My card is in Pound Sterling
    -My card is in different currency

Do I select different currency,euro or different currency,US dollars?

Select the 'different currency' option and then the currency of the transaction which presumably is US$. If you're asked the currency of your card, always select the currency of the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Is there a reason why on amazon it always converts from euro to sterling, and never uses the sterling balance I have on revolut?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is there a reason why on amazon it always converts from euro to sterling, and never uses the sterling balance I have on revolut?

WHen you're buying your item, at checkout, is the price in Euros or Sterling?

Turn off Amazon currency converter if it's in Euros, they give a terrible rate anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I keep getting more and more impressed with this card. Bought stuff from the Argentina the other day, no hassle. Had to get a refund from Amazon too and it only took a day to process. Great card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    WHen you're buying your item, at checkout, is the price in Euros or Sterling?

Turn off Amazon currency converter if it's in Euros, they give a terrible rate anyway.

Yeah the card is in sterling on Amazon. Actually thinking about it, it seems to happen everywhere where I buy in sterling. The card converts from my euro balance, and leaves the sterling I have on the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can I register a revolut card at an address in the UK or the US for the purposes of buying something online that won't deliver to parcel motel unless the payment method is the same as the delivery address?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yeah the card is in sterling on Amazon. Actually thinking about it, it seems to happen everywhere where I buy in sterling. The card converts from my euro balance, and leaves the sterling I have on the card.

You don't leave sterling currency on Revolut when buying from Amazon or UK sites.
    Money will come from your primary currency, Euro, in this case for Irish users. Just convert that money back to Euro to make available when you need it.
    Only reason to keep dollars or sterling in Revolut IMO is if you are hedging them or moving curency around in the hope the rates will change favourably in time for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Guys, me and misses want to get a debit card purely for grocery shopping. Just to put money each on account every week and buy off it when needed.
    Would it work for such needs? Basically tesco shopping etc.
    You can transfer money from your account and different account no problem?

If it's not suitable for that any other ideas to set up such account and atm card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

I've used it for supermarket shopping without any problems, question is will there be a 12c per transaction charge at the end of the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Guys, me and misses want to get a debit card purely for grocery shopping. Just to put money each on account every week and buy off it when needed.

If it's not suitable for that any other ideas to set up such account and atm card?

It should be perfect for that. I've used it in Tesco, Supervalu and Spar with no problem.

The only time I had an issue was once I forgot my wallet and tried to use it in supervalu with just the number and it didn't work but when I went and got the card it was no problem.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Revolut doesn't support joint accounts and only the account holder can top up their own Revolut account. Only way around this is for both of you to set up your own Revolut accounts as you can also instantly transfer funds from one Revolut account to the other at any time. Excellent option IMO.

Other option is to set up a Number26 account. They don't support joint accounts (yet) either but both of you can transfer funds to the one N26 account from any of your bank accounts. Biggest downside is you can't top it up instantly via debit card like you can with Revolut but transfers to Number 26 generally shouldn't take more than one working day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is there any way to make this work over the phone? I was trying to buy parts today and it was giving back an error code from UK SAGE system as "auth text error". When I got Revolut support they said that the card does not work over the phone, it only works by swiping it or for online use.

What happens in online purchases that is different from ordering over the phone? The vendor had logged into his secure payment portal to manually enter the details but obviously it did not work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Just a warning to people!!!!!

I had been storing some money in my account to pay the balance of my Glastonbury ticket in a few weeks; changing the odd €50 whenever the Euro - Sterling conversion rate was decent.

I woke up yesterday morning to an "Insufficient balance" message and a balance of £18 instead of £140. Someone in India took out 2 ATM transactions for £106 and ~ £15 in the space of a few hours.

Was straight onto Revolut support who in fairness were pretty quick and decent in their replies. Had to download the new app to make use of the new chat function, and while the new chat function seems to work pretty good, the new app in general is a piece of dog****; hanging every time you open it.

Anyway, word of advice; there's an option in the app to block and unblock your card. Block your card whenever you're not using it and unblock it just before you need to use it: it only takes a second.

Turns out in the UK pre-paid cards aren't protected by normal fraud legislation. In fairness to Revolut they said they'd try and issue chargeback proceedings but couldn't give any guarantees.

I always thought I'd been pretty careful, but just goes to show you never know. I'd only ever used my card for a couple of purchases on Amazon and AliExpress (I think the latter being the source of this particular breach).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Anyway, word of advice; there's an option in the app to block and unblock your card. Block your card whenever you're not using it and unblock it just before you need to use it: it only takes a second.

Is it actually possible to do this...? Can you only block it for a certain timeframe....and if you block it, can you only do so for so many times or else the card becomes unusable and you have to get a new card....? Also, if you block it, can you still have money on it or able to lodge money...??

Sorry for all the qs, but I noted this function before, but was afraid to press in case if rendered my card unusable and I have to be issued a new one.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭Nollog

Rewired wrote: »
    I've used it for supermarket shopping without any problems, question is will there be a 12c per transaction charge at the end of the year?

The 12 cent tax is only on ATM withdrawals.
    There are no charges for transactions other than taking money out of a wall.

Last time I tried to block my card, they never bothered sending it out to me. I think it generates a new card number doesn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Is it actually possible to do this...? Can you only block it for a certain timeframe....and if you block it, can you only do so for so many times or else the card becomes unusable and you have to get a new card....? Also, if you block it, can you still have money on it or able to lodge money...??

Sorry for all the qs, but I noted this function before, but was afraid to press in case if rendered my card unusable and I have to be issued a new one.....

You can still have money on it , and block and unblock whenever your want, no limited timeframe. (Not sure about lodging money, try it and see, it wont do any harm anyway.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

No in the app you can click on card, unblock, block as many times as you want. I normally block it after a transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

Anyone know of any bank ATM in New York or anywhere in US, that don't charge fees to withdraw cash?
    I know Bank of America, Wells Fargo all charge between 2-3$ per cash withdrawal.

Heading to US with my Revolut card and want to minimise extra charges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement