Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Does anyone know at what time they resort to the rubbish weekend exchange rates. I doubt it's midnight tonight. Thanks.

How different are the weekend exchange rates? Right now it's €1.26 for £1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭sue97

Trying to get through to support. My physical card has a different number to my virtual card and I want to use the physical card. Support is offline and have been for some time.

Can you use this in Poland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

sue97 wrote: »
    Trying to get through to support. My physical card has a different number to my virtual card and I want to use the physical card. Support is offline and have been for some time.

The in app support hours on the weekend are:

Sat-Sun: 12pm - 6pm UKT

But even with that, prepare yourself for a wait, competent live support with revolut is none existing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Can you use this in Poland?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭sue97

The in app support hours on the weekend are:

Sat-Sun: 12pm - 6pm UKT

But even with that, prepare yourself for a wait, competent live support with revolut is none existing.

Thanks, could have sworn it said 10 to 6 on my app this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Did anyone use revolut with transferwise? if so were you charged extra?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

sue97 wrote: »

Uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone. This usually happens if you order the physical card after only using the app based card initially.
    Reinstalling will sync them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

I wanted to share my recent experience with Revolut support regarding an incorrect charge that appeared one day out of the blue on my account. I filled the fraudulent declaration form they gave me in Dec 2015 and it is almost 4 months later that they recredited my account.

Here is the feedback I gave them in their support portal customer survey and on their Facebook page: "Very rare status updates throughout the resolution of this case, very hard to get through to support both by email and in-app support and overall 4 months to solve to chargeback the money to my account. You really need to seriously up your game here. It is not just me, many people are VERY UNHAPPY with your support: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481488"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

ben36 wrote: »
    This is a worry as i'm heading to Florida next week and was depending on this card as the way to go as i've already had this happen last week when changing my flight seats with delta they took out $118 and then again the next day and the first transaction is now pending with $118 charge gone from the balance and a ten day wait to be refunded.If this happens a lot of the time i'll have loads tied up waiting for ten days all the time.I think the way to go is probably withdraw from an atm as i go and suck up the 2% withdrawl fee

How did Florida go with the card ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

How did Florida go with the card ?

Question wasn't directed at me but I have just returned from the US (NY & Florida) and used Revolut for the vast majority of my spending including car hire* and some ATM cash too (TD Bank near Times Sq). I had no real problems at all and used it lots (too much!!) The only issues I had were in some automated ticket machines (NY Subway) and in Petrol (Gas) stations where you are required to use a card and enter a ZIP code, and twice when I ran out of funds on it! Both of which were resolved by topping up from the app while at the 'till.

On the NY Subway many of the machines for purchasing & topping up the MTA/Metrocards only have touchscreens for selecting options and a keypad for entering a ZIP code when your card is swiped -- these wouldn't work at all for me - I tried all zeros ZIP as well as a valid NY ZIP, 12345 and not zZIP at all ie just press ENTER but not joy. I did come across one machine that allowed alphanumeric entry which did work - I used either "Co Dublin" or a single space to get this to work sorry I can't remember.

Petrol/Gas: If you go into the station kiosk they will authorise say $30 on the card and enable the pump for this amount & will refund the balance if you don't fill up to that amount (GAS is a lot cheaper over there!)

Car Hire: I hired a car with Hertz and paid for the hire with my Revolut card. Note that I had to use a "normal" credit card to secure/guarantee the hire when booking in advance and collecting the car but then at the end of the hire period when dropping back the car request that final payment is taken from the revolut card. (for some reason this failed once when the card was swiped but worked the second time) - the charge didn't come through on the App for a day or two for some reason.

Some other tips which are similar to other recommendations throughout this thread and observations which again have been commented on before but are worth remembering.

Restaurants/Tips: If you are adding a tip to a bill it is better to add it before the card is swiped if you are given the option or pay the tip in cash if not. Adding the tip after swiping (by handwriting in the tip and new total) might lead to a temporary "double charge" consisting of 1) the initial bill total excluding tip which will remaining "pending", until disappearing approx 10 days later and 2) the correct higher charge of bill+tip which will be pending ofr a few days then confirmed.

Hotels: I found that some Hotels pre-authorise arbitrary amounts to the card when checking in. I was told this is to cover any extras such as mini-bar and movies, etc. This seemed to happen in different manners depending on the hotel. One hotel made two transactions 1) the cost of the room followed by 2) a 200$ pre authorisation. This worked out OK as the 2nd transaction was never finalised and disappeared after 10 days.

A second hotel initially charged the full room charge for a number of days plus an additional $150 in one single transaction totalling over $1500. Then at the end of the stay, they charged the correct lower amount which showed up as a separate transaction. So like the restaurants and tips above I had $1500 unavailable to me for approx 10 days!! Luckily I had loaded enough to cover this eventuality!

It is amazing how few terminals requested my PIN, even terminals that appeared to have Chip&PIN readers often didn't use them and only asked for a signature. Many transactions didn't even require a signature.

I have to say I am very happy with how Revolut worked on this trip but again would warn other to be aware of how both the card works and how various places process payments,deposits, tips and refunds (this is not unique to Revolut - all credit/debit cards work similarly but many don't give you the immediate visibility and granularity of the transactions through the various processing stages) Some people might encounter inconveniences as they will typically load their Revolut card with a lot less cash than a typical credit card has as its credit limit. And when travelling it's stupid to rely on just once source of funds! Carry some cash and more than one card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

Anyone having log in problems? I logged in and tried to top up by card, but it kept failing. Decided to uninstall and reinstall the app, now I can't log in at all!

gipi wrote: »
    Anyone having log in problems? I logged in and tried to top up by card, but it kept failing. Decided to uninstall and reinstall the app, now I can't log in at all!

No problem at the moment but I did have to re-enter my details earlier to get in... ie phone number and then code from text sent to me. Not sure if this is related to your issue.

msmx5 wrote: »
    No problem at the moment but I did have to re-enter my details earlier to get in... ie phone number and then code from text sent to me. Not sure if this is related to your issue.

Thanks. I was able to log in this morning. The app wasn't accepting my pin code so I didn't get the screen to enter the sms code.

All seems ok now, I have logged in and topped up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thanks. I was able to log in this morning. The app wasn't accepting my pin code so I didn't get the screen to enter the sms code.

All seems ok now, I have logged in and topped up.

Saw on their Twitter feed they had tech difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

I used to top without having the enter the 3 digit code and 3D secure after I did it on the first time, but now I had to change my debit card and revolut asks for the 3d secure and the 3 digit code everytime I top up. It was much faster before , but I agree that it's now more secure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Zardoz

After verifying my ID I can no longer change the name on the app or the country .
    If I change the country from Ireland it says "We're sorry,something has gone wrong.Please try again".
    Is this normal ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hi all, just thinking of signing up to this for my trip to Japan in May.

Rather than search through 140 pages of chat, can anyone summarise for me if online transactions work ok, and are generally trouble-free?

I want to book plane tickets and tickets to events online using the card and paying in YEN.

ah scratch that.. doesn't appear to work on my iPad2

Click the icon to start, dialog appears, and then crashes... not the most promising of beginnings. Odd that you can't sign up online.

mrcheez wrote: »
    ah scratch that.. doesn't appear to work on my iPad2

Click the icon to start, dialog appears, and then crashes... not the most promising of beginnings. Odd that you can't sign up online.

Your account is linked to your mobile, so the app has to be downloaded to a phone rather than a tablet.

• Advertisement

Your account is linked to your mobile, so the app has to be downloaded to a phone rather than a tablet.

Hmm I could borrow an Android for the trip I guess. I imagine you can change the linked phone later on?

Also regarding the ongoing issues are these mainly with physical cards, and refunds, but otherwise online payments are fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

I've just returned from a 3 week holiday in the US :(:(:(

Used the Revolut card multiple times every single day for both ATM withdrawl and point of sale in stores and only had issues where it didn't work (decline) 2-3 times, most likely that it was an issue with the merchants machine as the machines in the US look a couple years behind what we use in Ireland.

This card saved me so much money compared to what I would have paid with PTSB charges.

Two thumbs up from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I've just returned from a 3 week holiday in the US :(:(:(

Used the Revolut card multiple times every single day for both ATM withdrawl and point of sale in stores and only had issues where it didn't work (decline) 2-3 times, most likely that it was an issue with the merchants machine as the machines in the US look a couple years behind what we use in Ireland.

This card saved me so much money compared to what I would have paid with PTSB charges.

Two thumbs up from me.

Did you withdraw from any specific banks without charges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Did you withdraw from any specific banks without charges ?

Unfortunately not, every single ATM I used had a charge from the US bank. Most were $2-$3, I got used to that after a while and didn't mind so much, one did say $5 but I cancelled, I couldn't accept that charge.

According to https://revolut.com/FAQ
    At the moment our app is available for iPhones, iPads iOS (7.1+) or Android (4.1+) supported phones with a minimum screen size of 3.5inches.

My iPad is 7.1.1, so should be ok?

According to https://revolut.com/FAQ

My iPad is 7.1.1, so should be ok?

I use android and have limited exposure to Apple, but perhaps if you sign up using an Iphone you may then be able to use it on an ipad linked to the same apple id?

msmx5 wrote: »
    I use android and have limited exposure to Apple, but perhaps if you sign up using an Iphone you may then be able to use it on an ipad linked to the same apple id?

I suspect the app doesn't run on 7.1.1 despite the FAQ entry as it just crashes a millisecond after displaying the launch image.

Nevermind I've borrowed an Android from work and will try it out. How soon after I sign up can I start using it?

I'm hoping to book a few things online this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Rewired

I suspect the app doesn't run on 7.1.1 despite the FAQ entry as it just crashes a millisecond after displaying the launch image.
    Latest version is broken on iOS 7.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Nevermind I've borrowed an Android from work and will try it out. How soon after I sign up can I start using it?

I'm hoping to book a few things online this weekend.

Once you sign up, you can start using the virtual card straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Just back from 26 day trip to Australia. Used Revolut at least 60 times for POS/ATM.
    Excellent experience for me.

Only had 2 very small issues and both worked out OK in the end:
    1. One POS transaction did not work, appeared as "pending" in the app for 10 days and was then refunded to my balance.
    2. One POS machine would not accept my card so used a different card instead.

Did 5 ATM cash withdrawals and was charged only once (2.00 AUS$).

Being able to transfer from my Irish current account to Revolut on the go worked out great.

would not hesitate in recommending Revolut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement