Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Skidrow

Question.

Anybody know will the Revolut card work in conjunction with an Australian bank account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Bhangraman

Skidrow wrote: »
    Question.

Anybody know will the Revolut card work in conjunction with an Australian bank account?

https://revolut.com/FAQ in short No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Bhangraman wrote: »

Which FAQ said no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Which FAQ said no?

I guess the "Where is Revolut available?" because Australia isn't in the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I missed that question (first one).

I was reading "Where can I transfer money?" and "How can I transfer money to my bank account?" ... AUD is a supported currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Murilotdb

Hi. I just got charged for an order I did not place. I am afraid someone hacked my card. Has anyone experienced this??? How did you proceed? I already blocked my card.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

In a nutshell, it seems to be available to residents of EEA countries, Switzerland and territories of EEA countries.

Although, as far as I know, South Georgia doesn't actually have any full-time residents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Skidrow wrote: »
    Question.

Hi,

You can transfer funds into an Australian Bank. (in AUD)

I have just opened a Thai bank account and transferred in Baht from the card. (now have a Thai Visa card, which gives me free ATM withdrawals).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

You can transfer funds into an Australian Bank. (in AUD)

I have just opened a Thai bank account and transferred in Baht from the card. (now have a Thai Visa card, which gives me free ATM withdrawals).

Are you a resident in Thailand?

If not, which bank opened you an account, I holiday a lot in Thailand and a THB visa card would be usefully.

If not, which bank opened you an account, I holiday a lot in Thailand and a THB visa card would be usefully.
    Hi,

nope just got a tourist visa

See:-Bangkok Bank, scroll down, click on "open an account"
    Relevant:-
    For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a Work Permit

Passport
    Work Permit

2. Foreigner with Long-stay or Tourist Visa

Passport and one of the following documents:

2.1 An official document from another country, such as a document from the
    relevant agency giving evidence of the customer’s right to receive pension
    funds, OR a letter of reference from one of the following:
    Embassy or international organization
    Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT messaging network
    Person acceptable to Bangkok Bank e.g. branch officer, customer, government officer or company executive
    Educational institution located in Thailand and acceptable to the bank
    Company that is acceptable to the bank, confirming the customer is in the process of getting a work permit

2.2 Other documents that show the name of the customer e.g. a document
    showing the ownership of real estate in Thailand such as a unit in a
    condominium

Only documents I had was the bolded, passport and letters from Social Security, and a letter from a Private Pension.

I had no trouble whatsoever, except some fellow has the same name as myself in that Bangkok Bank branch so had to wait a day until HO OK-ed it. Overall, got the impression she just needed some letters to file.

However I have heard that some branches will not open an account without a work permit - Sorry - no can do. Just try another.

I can now transfer funds from Revolut to the Thai bank, however to obtain the best exchange rate would be to change Euro into Baht with a money changer, then deposit in the bank. The higher the denomination notes the better. (But they must be pristine, had a €200 note returned, had the slightest little sliver torn at the top edge. Sorry - broken.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Used this on a trip to the UK a few weeks ago, very impressed with it, had the card sent out and topped up online with my bankcard, was accepted at any outlet I tried and no fee conversion made it cheaper than using the credit card. Very easy to top up on the go, used private WiFi just to be safe but would definitely use it again as an alternative to using the bank credit and debit cards, in the UK at any rate.

Hi,

Not mentioned, but I think you should also have a Thai SIM/mobile number. For setting up internet banking

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Not mentioned, but I think you should also have a Thai SIM/mobile number. For setting up internet banking

Thanks a lot for you answers. Next time around I will stop into a branch or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I've seen people mention that the card-swiping sometimes didn't work? e.g. to pickup tickets you bought online.

Is this rare and normally not a problem? Otherwise I'd be hesitant booking things that required a swipe later on as will be common in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Just back from 10 days in the States (Las Vegas) - used the Revolut card the entire time without any hitches. Used ATMs twice (had to pay ATM-company fees but nothing extra from Revolut) and used the card in hotels and shops multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vince086

Going to England for a week and I'm wondering if the savings are really worth it over say using my BOI card? Also would there be much price difference between the Revolut card and Number26 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Vince086 wrote: »
    Going to England for a week and I'm wondering if the savings are really worth it over say using my BOI card? Also would there be much price difference between the Revolut card and Number26 ?

What do you mean by "worth it"? Is all relative and dependent on how much you spend but considering how little effort is required, yes, I'd say it's absolutely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

It is about 2.5% saving in comparison to BoI credit cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

ionapaul wrote: »
    Just back from 10 days in the States (Las Vegas) - used the Revolut card the entire time without any hitches. Used ATMs twice (had to pay ATM-company fees but nothing extra from Revolut) and used the card in hotels and shops multiple times.

What were the fees at the ATMs? Heading to the states in a couple of weeks and thinking about using this! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Pacifico wrote: »
    What were the fees at the ATMs? Heading to the states in a couple of weeks and thinking about using this! Thanks

I took out $600 at Citibank, was charged $3. If id of used a TD bank at the time I would of been charged zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

Around $2-$5 per withdrawal

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Went to pay for diesel with the card yesterday and got an insufficient funds message checked in with the app and 100 euros had gone missing and my transaction log deleted! no response from support in the app

Went to pay for diesel with the card yesterday and got an insufficient funds message checked in with the app and 100 euros had gone missing and my transaction log deleted! no response from support in the app

Did you use one of those automated pumps where you swipe the card before you get your diesel?
    What is not supported with Revolut?
    Some activities are not supported with a Revolut card. You cannot use your card with gambling websites, self-service petrol pumps, other payment services and pre-paid cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I think over a certain amount Revolut also start to charge 2% on withdrawals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

I have used my Revolut card in Ireland ATMs with no problems. Tried POS for the first time in Dublin Airport and was getting incorrect pin. I got on to support and they asked me to try again. The card was declined in a Norwegian POS shop again.

My card was blocked so support unblocked it again and asked me to try it in an ATM. I did this and was still not working.

Support said I need to order an emergency replacement card.

Anyone have an experience like this? I am going to Vegas next week and really need the card working!!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭show me the money.1

Did you use one of those automated pumps where you swipe the card before you get your diesel?

No paid instore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

That's annoying! Suggest putting a block on the card normally until you go to use it but strange that transaction log gone also. (Appropriate choice of username given the issue! :pac:).

Any idea if the £5 bonus on new sign-ups is no longer offered? Entered "MSE" while signing up and topped up €20 but nada. Have contacted support via the app (or is Facebook a better place to contact them?)... assuming the bonus is still available of course!

They just got back to me. You have to top up by £500 (I'm guessing €500 too?) before you get it... I guess a lot of people were just cashing in the fiver and running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Libera

mrcheez wrote: »
    Any idea if the £5 bonus on new sign-ups is no longer offered? Entered "MSE" while signing up and topped up €20 but nada. Have contacted support via the app (or is Facebook a better place to contact them?)... assuming the bonus is still available of course!

They just got back to me. You have to top up by £500 (I'm guessing €500 too?) before you get it... I guess a lot of people were just cashing in the fiver and running.

I had the same question and on second time of asking I got the answer...it is now £500 only so euros top up no longer gives the bonus. So if top up with £500, will be charged at the Irish bank rate and probably cost more then the freebie fiver. Pity they changed it (for those of us late to sign up!).

• Advertisement

Libera wrote: »
    I had the same question and on second time of asking I got the answer...it is now £500 only so euros top up no longer gives the bonus. So if top up with £500, will be charged at the Irish bank rate and probably cost more then the freebie fiver. Pity they changed it (for those of us late to sign up!).

Indeed, although I'm sure it will still come in handy. Have a few flights to book in sterling so I probably will end up adding £500 eventually :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement