Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

ionapaul wrote: »
    Just back from 10 days in the States (Las Vegas) - used the Revolut card the entire time without any hitches. Used ATMs twice (had to pay ATM-company fees but nothing extra from Revolut) and used the card in hotels and shops multiple times.

Were you able to pay a security deposit upon check in at the hotel? I have not tried that yet as I believe there may be a problem with pre authorization on
    prepaid cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Do users still have an individual referral code. I recall seeing one through the app in the past but haven't seen it lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Do users still have an individual referral code. I recall seeing one through the app in the past but haven't seen it lately

They stopped the referral scheme in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Can't find this but is there a max transaction on the card ?

I know my PTSB is 1500 or something ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Can't find this but is there a max transaction on the card ?

I know my PTSB is 1500 or something ??

https://revolut.com/FAQ
    Once you have verified your Revolut account to spend over £750 or equivalent, there are no limits to topping up your Revolut account. We require proof of funds to process large transactions over £10,000 or equivalent.

An example of proof of funds would be a bank statement which shows your name, address, the bank logo and shows a month of transactions. Please note this can be a printed/pdf. statement only - we can't accept a photo of your online/mobile banking. It could also be a contract for a house purchase or a payslip, we simply need to determine the origin of the funds. Please contact the in-app support for more information.

Card spending is limited to £30,000 or equivalent per year with a sublimit of £5,000 or equivalent per 96 hours meaning that you cannot exceed £5,000 or equivalent in card spending in a 96 hour period. Cash withdrawals from ATMs are limited to £2,000 or equivalent per day.

So you need to verify the account to go over €1000 (or £750) per month. I tried using my driving license but it said it couldn't verify, so I'll try my passport instead.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    https://revolut.com/FAQ

So you need to verify the account to go over €1000 (or £750) per month. I tried using my driving license but it said it couldn't verify, so I'll try my passport instead.

I did it with my passport the other night, i must see did it work.

Booking flights at the end of May so that suits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Want to use this to order off UK Carphone warehouse who want a UK card address.

I'll be using parcel motel, do I change my address in the Revolut app to that of the parcel motel address I'm using in NI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Mourinho wrote: »
    Want to use this to order off UK Carphone warehouse who want a UK card address.

I'll be using parcel motel, do I change my address in the Revolut app to that of the parcel motel address I'm using in NI?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Mostly fine experiences with this but problems with two sites unfortunately:
    Flybe: if you select mastercard debit it throws up an error cos it auto-detects it as mastercard credit due to how it's coded, then offers you the chance to pay the surcharge for that card type (was like £6-ish, i forget :eek:)

Megabus (on mobile anyway): Tries to load a mastercard codesecure page but fails as it doesn't support that, but brings you to an error page instead of bypassing the prompt like it should for cards that don't have that.

Just a heads up if anyone's going to use it on either of those! :)

I uploaded my passport etc last week and it says id will be verified in 10 min................still waiting ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I uploaded my passport etc last week and it says id will be verified in 10 min................still waiting ?

I did it with my driving license but I ended up having to contact them and email them my a photo of front and back of license and a pic of me holding my license lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭curiosity

Was in a similar position when I verified a few months ago. Ended up contacting them via the support app, they sorted it quickly enough then. Emailing them is another option.

curiosity wrote: »
    Was in a similar position when I verified a few months ago. Ended up contacting them via the support app, they sorted it quickly enough then. Emailing them is another option.

I'll do it via support app today as i need to have all sorted for booking flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Delta2113

2.4 now available - added new card security features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Delta2113 wrote: »
    2.4 now available - added new card security features.

New Security Features under Card/Security
    1. Location Based Security
    2. Magstripe Payments
    3. ATM Withdraws
    4. E-Commerce

The Local Based feature looks promising as it's based on card/phone location while disregarding e-commerce. So it really makes cloned cards impossible as source of in person transactions. But it also means that revolut might constantly check your location aka big brother.

Magstripe disabling is good to avoid the card being cloned, good if you never travel to regions that don't use the EMV chip.

ATM withdraws disabling great, but what happens if you have PIN issues and need to see an ATM, don't forget to re-enable.

E-Commerce, great, now you can block Internet shopping and only use the card in stores.

Now the question is how quick does disabling/enabling phase through the system. And on a positive note, everything is on as default, so your card should work normal until you do changes.

All details on http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/143106838282/revolut-24-the-next-generation-of-security

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I have been using the Revolut card here in Japan for the past two weeks with no issues.

It has worked in all cash machines and POS's.

Edit: I have been transferring money to my Revolut card from my PTSB bank account with no issues either.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

And they still won't accept my Ulster Bank debit card. Revolut have basically told me there is nothing more they can do for me..

Did anyone else having problems with UB ever get them sorted or did you just give up in the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Used card as MasterCard to pay for car rental for holiday abroad no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Ive noticed that you cant select Canada and US as billing addresses anymore ,it says "Revolut is not in your country yet"
    Disappointing that as I had used a US address a few times before to buy stuff online that required a US billing address .

I've been having an issue with my Revolut for the last few weeks.
    After verifying my ID I can no longer change the the country on the app .
    If I change the country from Ireland it says "We're sorry,something has gone wrong.Please try again".

I contacted Revolut support and they told me that every time I have to change the country I need to contact then to allow then change and they re verify my id and then lock the country again.
    Thats a lot of hassle anytime I need to use Parcelmotel or a similar service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Why do you need to change the country so often?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Why do you need to change the country so often?

When I buy stuff to be delivered by Parcelmotel or Parcelconnect ,which I use regularly.
    Alot of companies require a UK billing address .

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

mgray wrote: »
    And they still won't accept my Ulster Bank debit card. Revolut have basically told me there is nothing more they can do for me..

Did anyone else having problems with UB ever get them sorted or did you just give up in the end...

At freckin last, just managed to link card and deep deposit money for first time since January.

Have altered my address dozens of times within the app and failed everytime. In the end all I did was to remove my house number and leave the street name and it worked.. :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Saved myself the princely sum of €0.02 buying a book off amazon. £8.99, came through on standard debitcard as €11.41. Revolut it came through as €11.39. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but doesn't really seem like much savings involved unless you spending a good bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

Saved myself the princely sum of €0.02 buying a book off amazon. £8.99, came through on standard debitcard as €11.41. Revolut it came through as €11.39. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but doesn't really seem like much savings involved unless you spending a good bit of money.

Did you buy it on the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Ive noticed that my debit card exchange rate is much better than my Visa credit card in general.

Its not as good as the Revolut though
    It does seem to vary though as sometimes the amount shown on my bank account when the debit card transaction is pending is a much better rate that the final one charged which is quite odd.

Amouar wrote: »
    Did you buy it on the weekend?

No, just today. Put it through accidentally on the debit card, then cancelled and put it through on revlout.

Thought the difference would be bigger but this is going on the pending amount through on line banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No, just today. Put it through accidentally on the debit card, then cancelled and put it through on revlout.

Thought the difference would be bigger but this is going on the pending amount through on line banking.

The pending amount on the debit card wouldn't be the final amount charged.
    Ive noticed this recently ,usually 2-3 percent difference.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The pending amount on the debit card wouldn't be the final amount charged.
    Ive noticed this recently ,usually 2-3 percent difference.

Yeah, the pending amount is just an estimate based on that day's Visa/MasterCard exchange rate and doesn't include your bank's foreign currency charge for the transaction which is only applied when the transaction finalises. Hence the 2-3 percent difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Hi guys, looking to get one of these as I'll be in Canada for 3 months over the summer. I presume I apply to have the card sent to me and from there on just use the app to transfer funds to the account? Sounds great to me :)

One question though. According to the FAQ, Canada isn't listed as being available to Revolut customers. Does that mean I won't be able to use it there? Or does it mean you just can't sign up for it in Canada?

Edit: In any case, in the space of minutes I've downloaded the app (very clean UI), ordered a card and verified my identity. If it's implementation goes as smoothly I'll be very impressed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement