Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

App is no longer working for me after the latest update. I cannot get past the initial Revolut screen.

I'm on an s6 edge plus rooted. Im wondering if being rooted is causing the issue

Don't know if it helps but I'm using the latest version on a rooted CM13 OPO and have no problems. Perhaps you should do a "clear data" on the app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Don't know if it helps but I'm using the latest version on a rooted CM13 OPO and have no problems. Perhaps you should do a "clear data" on the app?

Thanks, i tried that too but still crashes. I'm using stock rooted rom so expect no issues. It was working fine until the latest release with new security features. My concern was that they blocked use on rooted roms which would be a disaster for me as im not giving up root

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I had similar problem on rooted phone, reinstalled app and it did not help. Tried again few hours later and I was able to login into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭BobSmith128

mgray wrote: »
    At freckin last, just managed to link card and deep deposit money for first time since January.

Have altered my address dozens of times within the app and failed everytime. In the end all I did was to remove my house number and leave the street name and it worked.. :-)

Fair play to you figuring it out.

I gave up on Ulster and moved to KBC.
    Was fed up with their complete ignorance on the issue and how they would never return my calls - and each time I did call, it was a new issue to them.

The KBC experience so far has been great - Free banking, much better customer service and better mobile app.
    I think the Revolut issue was the kick I needed to dump Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I really wish UB would pull their finger out, i'm fed up of having to transfer money to it and waiting 1-3 days for it to arrive :(

mgray, what format did you have the full address?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

n1ck wrote: »
    I really wish UB would pull their finger out, i'm fed up of having to transfer money to it and waiting 1-3 days for it to arrive :(

mgray, what format did you have the full address?

I deleted my card details from app, uninstalled then reinstalled. Then trief to add my card again which kept getting refused.

Even had transaction blocked by UB and had to call fraud dept to tell them to allow payments to Revolut.

The eventual address format that worked for me was.

Postcode. - Dublin ##
    Address 1. - Street name (leaving out house no.)
    Address 2. - left blank
    City. - I put my Dublin district
    Province/State. - Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Tried to buy something off Amazon this evening, the sterling balance wasn't enough to cover it but the euro balance was more than enough to cover it. Got an insufficient funds message, topped up the euro balance with a bit more cash and got another insufficient funds message again, had to use my credit card in the end.

Neither the euro or sterling balance on their own were enough to pay for the item but shouldn't it be able to take what it needs from the different currency balances?

Also there is a duplicate refund from PayPal thats been there for a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Tried to buy something off Amazon this evening, the sterling balance wasn't enough to cover it but the euro balance was more than enough to cover it. Got an insufficient funds message, topped up the euro balance with a bit more cash and got another insufficient funds message again, had to use my credit card in the end.

Neither the euro or sterling balance on their own were enough to pay for the item but shouldn't it be able to take what it needs from the different currency balances?

Also there is a duplicate refund from PayPal thats been there for a few weeks.

Most people have duplicate refunds (in some cases multiple duplicates). It looks like for a period in February/March they have processed refunds more than once. I have over 200£ in wrong refunds, support does not want to help. They say they are confident that all refunds have been processed correctly. I'm leaving the money in the wallet so that once they reverse it there are no problems.

You might want to ping support and ask them what the base currency of your card it. if it's € than it should have taken the funds from both currencies, if it's £ than refusal would be the correct option.

Support at first might tell you there is no such thing as base currency, but that's not true.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

This has also happened me. The only fix was to convert some euro to sterling so that the sterling balance on my card fully covered the transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Quackster wrote: »
    This has also happened me. The only fix was to convert some euro to sterling so that the sterling balance on my card fully covered the transaction.

They won't combine amounts in different currencies for any transaction so this is the only solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

mgray wrote: »
    I deleted my card details from app, uninstalled then reinstalled. Then trief to add my card again which kept getting refused.

Even had transaction blocked by UB and had to call fraud dept to tell them to allow payments to Revolut.

The eventual address format that worked for me was.

Postcode. - Dublin ##
    Address 1. - Street name (leaving out house no.)
    Address 2. - left blank
    City. - I put my Dublin district
    Province/State. - Dublin.

You're actually a hero! First time i've been able to top up in months! Someone add this to the original post for UB customers!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

RoYoBo wrote: »
    They won't combine amounts in different currencies for any transaction so this is the only solution.

That is not my experience, as long as I had funds in € in the wallet they have combined funds across multiple currencies for transactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

That is not my experience, as long as I had funds in € in the wallet they have combined funds across multiple currencies for transactions.

Ya thats how it used to work for me, I think my base currency is euro as money used always be taken from that balance first.

This is from their FAQs:

"What balance will my Revolut card use when I am abroad?
    Your Revolut account can hold a balance in EUR, GBP and USD. The card selects which balance to use in the following order:

The local currency of the merchant/ATM e.g. if you are in the U.K. it will use GBP.
    Your base currency (for a UK resident this would be GBP, if you are within the Eurozone this will be EUR and anywhere else will be USD).
    The final currency.

You need to have sufficient funds in one single balance in order to make a transaction. If you don’t have enough funds in the balance of the local currency, it will default to your next largest balance and so on."

When I attempted to make a sterling transaction some time back that was short by about £2, it was refused, even though I had plenty of Euros to make up the difference.

Looks like this behavior is new because when I first got the card it did not do it that way, it simply took all funds together.

I think this behavior is to encourage people to keep funds only in their base currency and only do automatic exchanges unless they are really sure about the £/$ amount they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'm planning to use my Revolut card to pay a security deposit on check in at hotel in the US. Will it be accepted for this purpose. I'm not really finding any accurate info online about this. I will be putting a few hundred on the revolut for this purpose. I don't have a credit card anymore and the hotel I'm staying out wont accept cash as a security deposit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

A few people here have had issues with it. I wouldn't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I stopped having problem with using this card with PayPal, as previously I had to retry very often to make successful transaction.

I'm planning to use my Revolut card to pay a security deposit on check in at hotel in the US. Will it be accepted for this purpose. I'm not really finding any accurate info online about this. I will be putting a few hundred on the revolut for this purpose. I don't have a credit card anymore and the hotel I'm staying out wont accept cash as a security deposit.

You can use it but using a debit card as security might create problems for you as the funds will be blocked for a long time or declined if they don't pay attention during check-out.

So on check-in they take the estimated total hotel bill (room+minibar+restaurant+Laundry) and ask for an authority for that amount. Depending on the hotel this can be and additional 25% to 100% of the room rate. This amount is then blocked on your revolut card and you can not use it for anything else until it either expires, is settled or the hotel releases it.

When you check-out the hotel than if they do it correctly (and the authority is not expired) they will amend the final amount of the pending transaction to the correct amount of the bill and unless it's higher than what they original expected all is good.

However some hotels don't do it correctly and instead request a new authorization of the full amount of the bill.

So in your case if you had 500$ in the wallet, they took 300$ on check-in and your bill is now 300$ the request would get declined because you don't have 300$ available. If the hotel does it right, you still have 200$ available and no problems.

So you need to make sure that when you check out they use the pending authorization and transmit the final amount against that authorization.

With credit cards you don't notice if the hotel does it wrong (unless you have a low limit) because in the end you will only see the final bill amount.

• Advertisement

Has anyone used the Revolut card in any parts of asia? Particularly Hongkong, Philippines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I used in back in February in the Philippines (Cebu and Manila) and also in Hong Kong. Had to try a few different ATM's in the Philippines but was always able to get cash.

john4321 wrote: »
    I used in back in February in the Philippines (Cebu and Manila) and also in Hong Kong. Had to try a few different ATM's in the Philippines but was always able to get cash.

In August Ill be going to hongkong for 1 week and to Cebu for 1 week. I was in Hongkong before and found it a nightmare with my bank debit card constantly getting blocked withdrawing from ATMs there. Drove me effing mad, had to keep them on the phone as I was withdrawing so they could stop the block manually as it was going through. I'm hoping the revolut card will reduce that crap significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Anyone having issues topping up the card ?
    I was able to do a top up and withdrawal yesterday when demonstrating the card but can't seem to get it to work today.
    I've uninstalled the app, deleted and readded the card, restarted phone, nothing seems to work.
    It just stays on the top up by card page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

will56 wrote: »
    Anyone having issues topping up the card ?

I tried to top it up just there (coupla-hundred) and it said my bank declined it, but then I got a text from the bank asking me to confirm.

After I confirmed it's still in "Pending".

Does it take a while for larger top-ups to go through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

mrcheez wrote: »
    I tried to top it up just there (coupla-hundred) and it said my bank declined it, but then I got a text from the bank asking me to confirm.

After I confirmed it's still in "Pending".

Does it take a while for larger top-ups to go through?

I was talking with Support. They had me uninstall the app, remove and then re add the card.
    I can now top up by €10 !
    Seems the issue has to be referred

will56 wrote: »
    Seems the issue has to be referred

Yeah I've contacted support. Have to hand it to them though, the support response is very fast and helpful (so far!)

Anyone found they've had payments stuck in "Pending" for a while?

I tested out paying a Digiweb bill with Revolut yesterday, but payment is still "pending" as of today despite having gotten a confirmation number from Digiweb??

Do they need to drawn down the funds at a later date?

I tested out paying a Digiweb bill with Revolut yesterday, but payment is still "pending" as of today despite having gotten a confirmation number from Digiweb??

This happens often to me, even after, for example, Amazon informs me that the order is accepted and even dispatched. The money is removed from my Revolut balance, so I'm assuming everything is okay and that this is normal.

• Advertisement

As to your Digiweb payment, it usually can take up to 10 days for the payment change from pending status to settled. Didiweb just asked for authorization, now it needs to settle through the system. Should be there soon.
    RoYoBo wrote: »
    This happens often to me, even after, for example, Amazon informs me that the order is accepted and even dispatched. The money is removed from my Revolut balance, so I'm assuming everything is okay and that this is normal.

Some transactions stay for me in pending for month but the vendor says they have processed the payment correctly.

I contacted Revolut CS about it and on 2 occasions now they told me "very sorry, we have released the money to you now". I protested and said, that was not what I asked for but they say, the vendor did never request the final amount and hence these should have dropped. I called the vendor and they say, they did and in their books I paid. Weeks later after that happened they still claim that and can't see any problems.

So I know have loads of money in my wallet that is not mine but neither revolut nor the vendor want to help. So I leave it there just in case either revolut or the vendor finally realize what's going on and request the funds again.

And that is in addition to the wrong double refunds they have processed. I have several hundred £ in the wallet now that are not mine and CS does not care.

It does not give me a good feeling that they are not able to deal with these exceptions and errors correctly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement