Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

hana123 wrote: »
    Just to report my experience with Revolut whilst using it in South America.

Sometimes, when you attempt to withdraw big amounts on an ATM, it says your card is rejected or transaction is cancelled. I figured out it's not because they don't accept the Revolut card, but because there's no enough money on that machine. Try a different machine or a different bank if you have the option.

Is it just Mastecard compatible machines that it can be used in?

which is probably most ATMs right?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

mrcheez wrote: »
    Did you use it in ATMs in Japan? Were there any service charges?

I didn't seem to get charged. The 7-Eleven ATMs said I may be charged Y1000 (about €8) but no charges were applied to the card. The revolut just had the Yen amount I withdrew shown and the Euro value of this withdrawal.

They show you the amount you withdraw in the currency, and the amount deduced from your balance. So it'll be clear if there has been an additional charge. If you have access to the internet you will see exactly at the time of the transaction what you've just been charged.

Note in Japan, not all ATMs will accept Mastercard, so I used 7-Eleven most of the time and Aeon sometimes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 hana123

hana123 wrote: »
    Just to report my experience with Revolut whilst using it in South America.

Sometimes, when you attempt to withdraw big amounts on an ATM, it says your card is rejected or transaction is cancelled. I figured out it's not because they don't accept the Revolut card, but because there's no enough money on that machine. Try a different machine or a different bank if you have the option.

Is it just Mastecard compatible machines that it can be used in?

which is probably most ATMs right?
    Yes, that's right. Most ATMs accepts Mastercard. I actually noticed MasterCard is more widely accepted than Visa over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hecmail wrote: »
    Note in Japan, not all ATMs will accept Mastercard, so I used 7-Eleven most of the time and Aeon sometimes as well.

Good enough, thanks! Did you use the card to do any credit card transactions in Japan? Or did you use the airport ATM?

I need to get cash to get into Tokyo on train/subway or whatever, but perhaps can pay by credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 hecmail

mrcheez wrote: »
    Good enough, thanks! Did you use the card to do any credit card transactions in Japan? Or did you use the airport ATM?

I need to get cash to get into Tokyo on train/subway or whatever, but perhaps can pay by credit card.

Yes I done both but a lot of places are cash only. There are a few ATM options in the airport. Credit Card translations can be either chip and pin and magnetic strip, so you might not want to have the magnetic strip turned off. I tried to use the credit card option where possible to avoid going over the €650 per month cash withdrawal limit before you start getting charged 2% on each withdrawal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

hecmail wrote: »
    ...so you might not want to have the magnetic strip turned off.

Didn't know this was a setting, handy thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Heading to majorca saturday week. All inclusive so I only really need about €400 for car rental and some other bits and bobs.

Would it we wise to only put €200 on this card and bring €200 in cash in case of issues?

From reading earlier posts, I take that it that there is no charge on ATM transactions and better rates using it for other transactions like paying for a meal etc.

Thanks in advance,
    BobbyT28

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Heading to majorca saturday week. All inclusive so I only really need about €400 for car rental and some other bits and bobs.

Would it we wise to only put €200 on this card and bring €200 in cash in case of issues?

From reading earlier posts, I take that it that there is no charge on ATM transactions and better rates using it for other transactions like paying for a meal etc.

Thanks in advance,
    BobbyT28

Better rates, don't they use the Euro in Spain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Better rates, don't they use the Euro in Spain :)

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Majorca euro's LOL. Jesus time for me to go to bed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭barrystealover

anybody have any prono codes for this before i set it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

So can i set up one of these cards

1. transfer money to it from my bank account
    2. change that money into GBP
    3. withdraw that money from an ATM in the uk

whats the advantage of doing that over just withdrawing cash from my regular account? is there cheaper fees or something...
    maybe i dont get the idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭insullation

neacy69 wrote: »

whats the advantage of doing that over just withdrawing cash from my regular account? is there cheaper fees or something...

See first post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

neacy69 wrote: »

No commission charged
    Best available exchange rate
    No bank charges when withdrawing money outside the EU

Also no need to convert Euro to Sterling. Just top up the card and use it as normal in England. It will do the conversion itself for any transactions/atm withdrawals just be sure to withdraw/pay in Sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭henke

Anyone see an issue where the 'Send' button is greyed out when you try to contact Support so you cannot write to them?

Getting a message of insufficient funds for an online order yet I have the funds on the card. I would like to see what the retailer is trying to bill to the card but Revolut only gives an 'insuffucient funds - please topup' message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

henke wrote: »
    Anyone see an issue where the 'Send' button is greyed out when you try to contact Support so you cannot write to them?

Getting a message of insufficient funds for an online order yet I have the funds on the card. I would like to see what the retailer is trying to bill to the card but Revolut only gives an 'insuffucient funds - please topup' message.

You need to have sufficient funds in one balance, and not a combination of EUR GBP and USD.
    This could the cause of the message you're getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭henke

Amouar wrote:
    You need to have sufficient funds in one balance, and not a combination of EUR GBP and USD. This could the cause of the message you're getting.

Amouar wrote:
    You need to have sufficient funds in one balance, and not a combination of EUR GBP and USD. This could the cause of the message you're getting.

The site listed the price in dollars and I had it all listed in dollars. Tried changing the whole amount to sterling also. I am interested to see if Revolut could tell me what currency they tried to bill in and for how much, but it won't let me send a message via support on the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭lolie

Sorry if this has been asked before but can this card be topped up in a shop like the o2/three card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

lolie wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before but can this card be topped up in a shop like the o2/three card?

Nope. Only by debit card or bank transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

With the new fair usage policy would N26 be a better option for ATM withdrawals?

https://support.number26.eu/read/000001264?locale=en

https://revolut.com/fairusage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

soirish wrote: »
    With the new fair usage policy would N26 be a better option for ATM withdrawals?

Depends where you're taking out the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭ongarite

soirish wrote: »

N26 aren't taking on any new customers outside Germany for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

henke wrote:
    The site listed the price in dollars and I had it all listed in dollars. Tried changing the whole amount to sterling also. I am interested to see if Revolut could tell me what currency they tried to bill in and for how much, but it won't let me send a message via support on the app.

I think they direct convert from your home currency to the foreign currency?

But I had problems using the app and contacting support, I put it down to out of office hours and bad mobile signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi folks,

Myself and my OH are going travelling to South America in June - taking in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru Colombia and maybe Chile - are we are just thinking about the best financial system to use.

Revolut seems like it might be the cheapest way to do it, although I have a couple of queries some people might be able to help me with.

Is it possible to link 2 Bank Accounts to the one card? As in, can both myself and my OH transfer money to the one card?

Or, could we have two cards for the one Revolut account? Whereby we both transfer an equal amount of money into the account, to pay for food and accommodation, and both have access to cards?

Cheers folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

You can top it up from 2 different cards, so I'm guessing bank transfer would be the same? That being said I loaded it with both cards in my name so I'm not sure if two different names would cause issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers for the response - yeah, that would be useful to know, whether two different named accounts can transfer money into the same card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I use 2 cards from 2 different people on my revolut no problem. You need to enter the 3d secure password before being able to use it to top up.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

chases0102 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Myself and my OH are going travelling to South America in June - taking in Argentina, Bolivia, Peru Colombia and maybe Chile - are we are just thinking about the best financial system to use.

Revolut seems like it might be the cheapest way to do it, although I have a couple of queries some people might be able to help me with.

Is it possible to link 2 Bank Accounts to the one card? As in, can both myself and my OH transfer money to the one card?

Or, could we have two cards for the one Revolut account? Whereby we both transfer an equal amount of money into the account, to pay for food and accommodation, and both have access to cards?

Cheers folks!!

Any card you add will use your name as the cardholder name (you can't manually add another name). If you have the same surname and billing address it might work but is probably likely to fail.

You can't transfer money in from any account other than an account in the same name as the Revolut account. If you try, the money will be returned (eventually) minus a processing fee.

The easiest thing to do is for both of you to open your own Revolut accounts and top them up separately. You can then transfer the balance from one Revolut account to the other if you want all your money in the one account.

Also, having two accounts means you can withdraw twice as much from ATMs every month before fees kick in and you're not screwed if you lose one of the cards!

Just used Revolut to book an apartment on Air BnB in NYC in December. Air BnB were going to charge me €782 using their exchange rate. Choosing to pay in USD through Revolut ended up costing €752. All I had to do was select the USA as the country on the payment page and enter a US post code. Was absolutely seamless - delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Just used Revolut to book an apartment on Air BnB in NYC in December. Air BnB were going to charge me €782 using their exchange rate. Choosing to pay in USD through Revolut ended up costing €752. All I had to do was select the USA as the country on the payment page and enter a US post code. Was absolutely seamless - delighted!

Regarding the Zip code, each state has their own sales tax rate. Oregon, New Hampshire etc. have 0% sales tax

• Advertisement

Would that work? Would I not have to pay tax based on the fact sales tax is levied based on where the apartment is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement