Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Would that work? Would I not have to pay tax based on the fact sales tax is levied based on where the apartment is?

That would probably make sense alright. I've only ever used it for digital goods so I can't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    That would probably make sense alright. I've only ever used it for digital goods so I can't say.

You and your constant holidaying...

You and your constant holidaying...

I'm an eager beaver ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Anyone tried to top up with BOI Debit Card? Can't get it going for the life of me.
    Revolut support said they were having a look at it (2 days ago-in app support) and haven't responded to my queries since. Phone number goes to hold and then disconnects after a few minutes.

I'm really not sure I want to be transferring money with this level of support to be honest, but perhaps it's my error.
    It accepts the card number etc, but when it goes to verify the address it craps out. Have checked the addresses match, the only difference is I have to put in a Postcode in the app so I've added the Eircode. I don't think that's on my Bank Account, but I can't add it there or remove it from Revolut.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Would revolut work well for a purchase on a UK site that required a UK credit card? Do the fees end up costing much? Eg very.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Anyone else having trouble logging in can't get the text message from them support not answering have they gone bust?

Hootanany wrote:
    Anyone else having trouble logging in can't get the text message from them support not answering have they gone bust?

Mines working grand. Support is online between 8am - 10pm weekdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Mines working grand. Support is online between 8am - 10pm weekdays.

I've been trying since 7 no joy

Would revolut work well for a purchase on a UK site that required a UK credit card? Do the fees end up costing much? Eg very.co.uk

Yes.

What fees? There are no fees associated with online purchases, only a fair usage charge on ATM withdrawals above 650e.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Anyone tried to top up with BOI Debit Card? Can't get it going for the life of me.
    Revolut support said they were having a look at it (2 days ago-in app support) and haven't responded to my queries since. Phone number goes to hold and then disconnects after a few minutes.

I'm really not sure I want to be transferring money with this level of support to be honest, but perhaps it's my error.
    It accepts the card number etc, but when it goes to verify the address it craps out. Have checked the addresses match, the only difference is I have to put in a Postcode in the app so I've added the Eircode. I don't think that's on my Bank Account, but I can't add it there or remove it from Revolut.

Thanks

Eircode is the problem. You must either add it to your bank account address or remove it from Revolut. No hope of getting it to work otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Quackster wrote: »
    Eircode is the problem. You must either add it to your bank account address or remove it from Revolut. No hope of getting it to work otherwise.

Courtesy of mgray:

Postcode. - Dublin ##
    Address 1. - Street name (leaving out house no.)
    Address 2. - left blank
    City. - I put my Dublin district
    Province/State. - Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

n1ck wrote: »
    Courtesy of mgray:

Postcode. - Dublin ##
    Address 1. - Street name (leaving out house no.)
    Address 2. - left blank
    City. - I put my Dublin district
    Province/State. - Dublin.

Yep, but outside Dublin, how would should it work?
    Its been four days since opening a support with revolut and they still haven't gotten this far.
    Is it really worth it? Their support is abominable.

Anyone got it working with parcel wizrd or parcel motel address? What format did you use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Yep, but outside Dublin, how would should it work?
    Its been four days since opening a support with revolut and they still haven't gotten this far.
    Is it really worth it? Their support is abominable.

I think it's unreal, I was so annoyed when it stopped working due to AVS. Are you able to make your address something similar to the above? I tried lots of variations and only the above worked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

Hi guys ... A quick question for the Revolut experts here.

I got this card way back when this thread started and threw £20 onto it but have never used it for anything. I'm off to Croatia in June for 2 weeks and I'm wondering if it'd be a good idea to put most of my spending money for the trip (say around €1000) on the card and live off that?

Also, anyone know what atm fees would be like in Croatia?

Definitely worth using it for all your spending but I wouldn't recommend putting all your spending money on it in advance. Just top up each day for the next day's spending.

There shouldn't be any extra fees for using ATMs in Croatia.

Also, I'd recommend going into the card security settings and turning off the mag strip. And, if you'll have the data on your phone on when you're over there, you should turn on location-based security too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

This post has been deleted.

Did you activate card here first? Put card into one of our ATM's and just change pin number, do nothing else but this to activate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

mad m wrote: »
    Did you activate card here first? Put card into one of our ATM's and just change pin number, do nothing else but this to activate it.

I'm off to America next week and hope to use the card over there. Will any ATM work in Ireland to activate it or does it need to be a particular bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

What's this activation thing? I just received it, put money in it, also verified my identity, and then used it at a coffee shop in the UK and it worked. Do I need to do anything else? I've never used it in an ATM.

Also, has anyone tried the card in American/Canadian gas pumps? Are they going to ask for the ZIP code or will they work?

I'm loving the card anyway, the instant notification as soon as you do an operation is almost a luxury feature, considering my bank won't even send me a text message for transactions off my debit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Off to Australia in a few weeks for a month, wife and I both have the cards so was thinking of splitting funds between the two accounts just in case.

Both set up to disable mag stripe transactions and ATM withdrawals until needed and then will activate again once we have cash in hand.

Anything else i need to think off to maximize security of funds on each card?

• Advertisement

I don't think AUD is a supported currency?

I don't think AUD is a supported currency?

It's in their rates anyway. 1 euro currently gets you 1.54 aud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

not in the base currency but in supported rates

Is there a distinction between using the £sterling balance and the € balance? How can you choose which one to pay using? Is there a different card number for the different currencies?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Is there a distinction between using the £sterling balance and the € balance? How can you choose which one to pay using? Is there a different card number for the different currencies?

If the local shop is charging sterling, and you have enough sterling, it'll take it from the sterling balance. If you haven't enough of it but you have enough Euro, it'll take it from there and do the conversion.

It prioritises the same currency first, then checks for amount availability. It won't combine two currencies though, you must have enough funds in one currency for a payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

I top up my card in euro and then just use as normal. It does the exchange and then deducts from the euro balance, so if you're in the UK pay in sterling and it will deduct the equivalent in euro from the balance on the card

will56 wrote: »
    I top up my card in euro and then just use as normal. It does the exchange and then deducts from the euro balance, so if you're in the UK pay in sterling and it will deduct the equivalent in euro from the balance on the card

That's grand except for the weekend when the rates are worse. If you're going to use the card at the weekend for sterling or dollar payments, it makes sense to convert the amount you think you'll need on the Friday.

BrookieD wrote: »
    not in the base currency but in supported rates

Sweet! It and NZD must be relatively new to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭chases0102

Is there a limit as to how much Euro you can transfer over to the card?

When travelling, it sounds ideal for myself and my OH to transfer the majority of our spending money into the one kitty, so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

chases0102 wrote: »
    Is there a limit as to how much Euro you can transfer over to the card?

When travelling, it sounds ideal for myself and my OH to transfer the majority of our spending money into the one kitty, so to speak.

Never put all of your money onto one card.

As to limits as per FAQ:
    Are there limits to my Revolut account?

Once you have verified your Revolut account to spend over £750 or equivalent, there are no limits to topping up your Revolut account. We require proof of funds to process large transactions over £10,000 or equivalent.

An example of proof of funds would be a bank statement which shows your name, address, the bank logo and shows a month of transactions. Please note this can be a printed/pdf. statement only - we can't accept a photo of your online/mobile banking. It could also be a contract for a house purchase or a payslip, we simply need to determine the origin of the funds. Please contact the in-app support for more information.

Card spending is limited to £30,000 or equivalent per year with a sublimit of £5,000 or equivalent per 96 hours meaning that you cannot exceed £5,000 or equivalent in card spending in a 96 hour period. Cash withdrawals from ATMs are limited to £2,000 or equivalent per day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement