Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭chases0102

Cheers for that - I guess, what I was thinking was something like this would be ideal for paying for accommodation, food and activities (basically things we'll both be using) on our travels.

Sounds great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

chases0102 wrote: »
    Cheers for that - I guess, what I was thinking was something like this would be ideal for paying for accommodation, food and activities (basically things we'll both be using) on our travels.

Sounds great!

I do not recommend using revolut for guaranteeing your hotel at check-in, especially overseas as it has been discussed in this thread before, it will lead to complications with the deposit hotels take when you check-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

A lot of my Japanese Yen payments are coming up as USD before converting to Euro, despite fact I make payment in Yen??

Incidentally, whatever about the exchange rate savings, the app is a fantastic device for confirming if a payment went through: was buying a ticket in Japan and bloke swiped the card and apologised that the card wasn't accepted, so the 100 euro payment would need to be another card or cash. So off I wander to find nearest 7-eleven ATM to withdraw another 100 euro but just decide to double check the app. Lo and behold the "unacceptable" payment went through after all. If I hadn't checked I'd have ended up buying 2 tickets for 200! Phew!

chases0102 wrote: »

Sounds great!

I do not recommend using revolut for guaranteeing your hotel at check-in, especially overseas as it has been discussed in this thread before, it will lead to complications with the deposit hotels take when you check-in.

I haven't had any problems booking rooms with TripAdvisor etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

mrcheez wrote: »
    I haven't had any problems booking rooms with TripAdvisor etc?

He means at hotel reception when you check in when they might ask for pre authorisation on a card to cover, for example, mini bar usage or damage.

Booking on TA etc is just a regular online transaction.

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »
    A lot of my Japanese Yen payments are coming up as USD before converting to Euro, despite fact I make payment in Yen??

Incidentally, whatever about the exchange rate savings, the app is a fantastic device for confirming if a payment went through: was buying a ticket in Japan and bloke swiped the card and apologised that the card wasn't accepted, so the 100 euro payment would need to be another card or cash. So off I wander to find nearest 7-eleven ATM to withdraw another 100 euro but just decide to double check the app. Lo and behold the "unacceptable" payment went through after all. If I hadn't checked I'd have ended up buying 2 tickets for 200! Phew!

There is a quirk in the way some Japanese Banks process foreign cards.

Even when you do the payment in Yen, the actual pre-authorization is in US $ while the final settlement is in Yen.

He means at hotel reception when you check in when they might ask for pre authorisation on a card to cover, for example, mini bar usage or damage.

Booking on TA etc is just a regular online transaction.

Yes, that is what I meant, thanks EagererBeaver for clarifying it.

There is a quirk in the way some Japanese Banks process foreign cards.

Even when you do the payment in Yen, the actual pre-authorization is in US $ while the final settlement is in Yen.

Ah right that explains why I'm seeing two transactions when the payment is finally executed for those ones.

The original still remains as pending but a separate yen payment is processed as a separate transaction, so the pending one will eventually just be refunded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

Anyone got it working with parcel wizard or parcel motel address?
    What format did you use?I can't get it working, comes up invalid on the site I am trying to add it to

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

What's this activation thing? I just received it, put money in it, also verified my identity, and then used it at a coffee shop in the UK and it worked. Do I need to do anything else? I've never used it in an ATM.

I don't think the activation is as critical anymore, when the card first came out, last year, the PIN wasn't pre-set so you needed to use it in a chip&pin ATM first to "write" the PIN to the card. (regular BANK ATM rather than some of the petrol station/shop ones). I think the more recent cards (last few months) have the PIN pre-encoded when delivered.
    Also, has anyone tried the card in American/Canadian gas pumps? Are they going to ask for the ZIP code or will they work?

Yes, I had trouble using the card in pumps (and some Subway stations) that required a numeric ZIP code. For petrol/gas stations you need to go into the station and make a payment say $30 (Gas is cheap over there!) then fill up and go back in and get a refund for the balance. I did this twice in Florida recently without issue... its a bit of hassle but it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

msmx5 wrote: »
    I don't think the activation is as critical anymore

Ah alright. Yes now the app lets you choose a PIN, and you can also change it whenever you want through the app.

Thanks for the tip regarding petrol stations. I'm always lost when I use them abroad lol

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ah alright. Yes now the app lets you choose a PIN, and you can also change it whenever you want through the app.

If you change the PIN in the app, then you'll need to use an ATM to write the new PIN to the card. Most POS terminals in this country check the PIN with the card, rather than online, so they'll still see the old PIN until the new PIN has been written to the card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Anyone using this as their main atm card in Dublin -shops,atm etc.

Have you had many problem's with shop wanting to charge you in Sterling rather than Euro?

No matter what country you are in -always get charged in the local currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

msmx5 wrote: »
    What's this activation thing? I just received it, put money in it, also verified my identity, and then used it at a coffee shop in the UK and it worked. Do I need to do anything else? I've never used it in an ATM.

I don't think the activation is as critical anymore, when the card first came out, last year, the PIN wasn't pre-set so you needed to use it in a chip&pin ATM first to "write" the PIN to the card. (regular BANK ATM rather than some of the petrol station/shop ones). I think the more recent cards (last few months) have the PIN pre-encoded when delivered.
    Also, has anyone tried the card in American/Canadian gas pumps? Are they going to ask for the ZIP code or will they work?

Yes, I had trouble using the card in pumps (and some Subway stations) that required a numeric ZIP code. For petrol/gas stations you need to go into the station and make a payment say $30 (Gas is cheap over there!) then fill up and go back in and get a refund for the balance. I did this twice in Florida recently without issue... its a bit of hassle but it works.

Just stick in 90210 as your zip worked for me when I was there apparently the code for international cards is 99999 I read that recently

Back on Revolut used it constantly on my trip to Australia and flawless except one issue - I was at a wedding and hotel across road was where most of us were drinking - the Revolut app blocked transactions after the 12th one from the same merchant , an annoyance but apparently being addressed in there latest app release

So far so good in South Africa card has saved me on bank fees so far

Revolut continues to grow and has now their own e-money license (currently they are using paysafe's) and they are looking to start issuing their own cards instead of using paysafe.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/fintech-revolut-500-million-e-money-license-fca-2016-5?r=DE&IR=T

Together with the sneak peaks they have given of the new app version coming, this is great news, looking forward to even better app soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A friend of mine said something to me about this - the free use of this card is dependant on the fee they receive from retailers, he said he will be using it to purchase items in his home currency as well as when abroad to do what he can to support the free use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Driving me nuts at the moment. Tried many ATM none of them work in Hong Kong.
    Closest I got was to the stage where the ATM asks if I want to be charged HK currency or home currency and I choose home and it always says cardholder cancelled.
    You can cancel but at the other side of the screen button. Another different ATM after I put the amount I want to withdraw it says cardholder cancelled and another just cancels after I enter my pin.
    Awaiting a response from support at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Revolut continues to grow and has now their own e-money license (currently they are using paysafe's) and they are looking to start issuing their own cards instead of using paysafe.

I hope this means us being able to order a card with a personalised image on it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Those lying bastards.

Contactless my eye!

veronique%20(head%20of%20partnerships)_revolutcard.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Block (8 wrote: »
    Closest I got was to the stage where the ATM asks if I want to be charged HK currency or home currency and I choose home and it always says cardholder cancelled.
    You can cancel but at the other side of the screen button. Another different ATM after I put the amount I want to withdraw it says cardholder cancelled and another just cancels after I enter my pin.

Not the solution to your problem, but you should be paying in local currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I read on the n26 card forum that the revolut card gives a bad exchange rate at weekend?
    Anyone know anything about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

I read on the n26 card forum that the revolut card gives a bad exchange rate at weekend?
    Anyone know anything about that?

This is correct, they lock the rates on a Friday evening at usually 1-2% below the interbank rate. If your using £ or $ best to make exchange in app before the weekend or if withdrawing in other currencies withdraw midweek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Block (8 wrote: »

Have you used it before in other countries or had any issues in the past? I have used it in a lot of Asian countries but am visiting HK in a few months so a bit worrying.

Latest App version is out and it brings statements:
    In our latest App version (2.4.3), users can now export a Revolut account statement via E-mail, SMS, Slack and other social networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I'm really looking forward to getting a Revolut Contactless card but they would have to make sure that no matter what country I would be using it in the charge would go through in the local currency.

For example let's say you went to Australia and used the contactless function and the terminal charged you in £ sterling instead of Aus Dollars.

Explanation of DCC below:-

Avoid 'dynamic currency conversion' known as 'DCC'

When paying for things or withdrawing money, many providers will ask whether or not you wish to pay in your local home currency rather than the local currency. Note that this will often be more expensive and give you a rate that may be worse than had you of used the local currency. Always choose to pay in local currency to avoid extra foreign exchange margins and the 'dynamic currency conversion' process.

duffman13 wrote:
    This is correct, they lock the rates on a Friday evening at usually 1-2% below the interbank rate. If your using £ or $ best to make exchange in app before the weekend or if withdrawing in other currencies withdraw midweek

Just checked and yes it is brutal at weekend, relatively.
    Rate went down significantly from Friday. Over 2%loss I reckon..
    Lesson learned!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Latest App version is out and it brings statements:

Here is how it works
    http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/144654537512/new-feature-exportable-statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

soirish wrote: »

I have the latest version (2.4.4) but my app doesn't look like the images I've seen on their site. I don't have those options (account etc) at the bottom of the screen. I need to click the menu icon to get some options.

My account is not verified. Does it need to be to have the "account" option?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFRGBx3krev/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

You need to look in your bank statements for a transaction with the word "Revolut" in it, which contains a 4-digit number. You enter that to verify your account.

• Advertisement

You need to look in your bank statements for a transaction with the word "Revolut" in it, which contains a 4-digit number. You enter that to verify your account.

You also need a picture of you with your passport or ID to verify for use abroad? I believe..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement