Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Got sorted there on Ulster bank card, just change of address required. Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Sono wrote: »
    Heading to London next week and haven't used the card yet, any limitations I should be aware of? Presume it's just a case of transferring the cash from Irish bank and away I go? Any issues using in shops/ATMs and paying for a hotel? Thanks in advance for any help.

As per other posts on this long thread, I would recommend not having this as your only method of payment. Have had just a couple of short-lived minor problems with the card over the last 18 months and find it excellent for most purchases in various currencies, but on holiday with no other access to money is not the time to find yourself stuck! Bring a back-up card is my advice.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    As per other posts on this long thread, I would recommend not having this as your only method of payment. Have had just a couple of short-lived minor problems with the card over the last 18 months and find it excellent for most purchases in various currencies, but on holiday with no other access to money is not the time to find yourself stuck! Bring a back-up card is my advice.

Thanks for this advice, what are the issues you faced? Worrying that it could fail at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Thanks for this advice, what are the issues you faced? Worrying that it could fail at all really.

It depends what you use it for, e.g. because of the way it's coded, it's known to generally not work for pre authorisation in hotels.

It's a startup up company that offers massive advantages. There will obviously be risks. You've been warned not to carry it as your only form of payment. As long as you bear that in mind you'll be fine.

Is the best advantage of this card withdrawing from ATMs abroad and not paying charges for the withdrawal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Is the best advantage of this card withdrawing from ATMs abroad and not paying charges for the withdrawal?

Imo, best advantage of this card is getting the best exchange rate. Getting the max amount of foreign currency for your Euro. Be it online or from an atm in a foreign country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

An example - my friend is based in Hong Kong on assignment from London. He's just signed up after I've been telling him about it for six months. Once he did a bit of digging he realised that in the last 8 months he spent about £330 on fees that would have been fully avoidable by using Revolut to purchase in local currencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've had normal credit/debit card transactions fail, in various parts of the world over the years.

Revolut or not, never depend on just one card when travelling..

Once at Argos, for no reason I could see, it simply failed to allow me to pay for my item and referred me back to Support. After some unknown 'fix', it worked again the next day. On another occasion, it debited twice the money from my bank account at a top-up - also fixed a few days later.

I've seen posts here where pre-auth amounts in hotels etc were debited, followed by the actual amounts on departure, leaving people short on their balance for a considerable period of time until these amounts dropped off. If you're vigilant and in a decent hotel, you might be able to prevent this happening.

You may not experience any of these issues, but just to be sure to be sure, have another card. The savings on currency conversion are a winner for me, especially at ATMs and retail/online shopping in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Also using it to pay for stuff as a debit card; doesnt add to the atm limit.
    just be careful of the weekend issue and the worse exchange rate used.

Quite like the app control and security on use of card as atm card, online purchases, card purchases etc.

• Advertisement

Can't top up my card today. An error message says my card is not authorised and I need to re-add it, but it's showing up as normal on the app? Same is happening to my OH and to some other people, according to FB. No response from support yet. Frustrating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Can't top up my card today. An error message says my card is not authorised and I need to re-add it, but it's showing up as normal on the app? Same is happening to my OH and to some other people, according to FB. No response from support yet. Frustrating!

I had a popup message on the app a few weeks ago saying they're changing something soon so need me to re-add the cards if I wanted to continue using them.

Maybe that's it?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I had a popup message on the app a few weeks ago saying they're changing something soon so need me to re-add the cards if I wanted to continue using them.

Maybe that's it?

Did you remove your card in order to re-add it? I saw someone on FB did that and they were then locked out, so I'm a bit worried to try that. The error message didn't mention anything about changes, just that I wasn't authorised and need to re-add the card. I've been using this for 18 months and have done all the verification/authorisation ages ago.
    Just another example of not being able to rely on the card really ...

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

I got the same. I just removed and re-added my card and it worked fine

Spocker wrote: »
    I got the same. I just removed and re-added my card and it worked fine

Thanks for that. What exactly did you do to remove the card? I can only see 'Block' not remove in the app settings.

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

Choose 'Top-Up', and when you're shown the card, look for the three dots in a circle in the upper right hand corner. Tap that, and the three options presented are Edit/Delete/Cancel

Choose 'Top-Up', and when you're shown the card, look for the three dots in a circle in the upper right hand corner. Tap that, and the three options presented are Edit/Delete/Cancel

This worked to delete and re-add card - unfortunately, the subsequent top up didn't :( New error message just says top-up failed and to contact support. Still waiting on my last contact to support to be answered.
    I'd HATE to be abroad on holidays trying to sort this out, especially if this was my only access to funds. Definitely a wake-up call for anyone else hoping to use this card while away!

This worked to delete and re-add card - unfortunately, the subsequent top up didn't :( New error message just says top-up failed and to contact support. Still waiting on my last contact to support to be answered.
    I'd HATE to be abroad on holidays trying to sort this out, especially if this was my only access to funds. Definitely a wake-up call for anyone else hoping to use this card while away!

Support worked ok for me while away. Not great but ok.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Definitely a no-brainer that if you're travelling abroad with your partner/friend(s) etc, make sure everyone has their own Revolut card.

Quackster wrote: »
    Definitely a no-brainer that if you're travelling abroad with your partner/friend(s) etc, make sure everyone has their own Revolut card.

Same thing is happening to my OH's card - it seems to be a Revolut problem at the moment. Lots of others experiencing difficulty accessing support, too. Would recommend everyone have another card besides Revolut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Same thing is happening to my OH's card - it seems to be a Revolut problem at the moment. Lots of others experiencing difficulty accessing support, too. Would recommend everyone have another card besides Revolut.

Agreed.

Went to Vegas last year and one of the lads had issues using his Revolut as he didn't verify his PIN at an ATM.

He just logged into his app and sent me the money instantly and used my Revolut to pay. Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Would recommend everyone have another card besides Revolut.

This. Like taking along photocopies of your passport, always have a backup solution in case things don't work out as planned, whether it's cash or (perhaps safer) an alternate credit card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Stupid question for people, how do you read a notification from revolut? I click into them and get taken to a blank support screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

hots wrote: »
    Stupid question for people, how do you read a notification from revolut? I click into them and get taken to a blank support screen?

This happened to me when I was setting it up on a new phone. Started by entering +353 087.....
    Then went on to using +353 87.....
    The support chat is linked to the phone number so I was still getting replies to the 087 attempt even though I was now logged into the 87 one.
    The notifications pop in but I cant read them.

Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Mines gone to ****. I just tried to top up and it told me they've made topping up faster so delete my card and add it again. It now won't allow me to add my card it keeps saying my bank has declined my top up request even though I'm only trying to add the card and when I go to support the send button is greyed out so I can't contact them.

Mines gone to ****. I just tried to top up and it told me they've made topping up faster so delete my card and add it again. It now won't allow me to add my card it keeps saying my bank has declined my top up request even though I'm only trying to add the card and when I go to support the send button is greyed out so I can't contact them.

I just got the delete card and add to make it faster too. I just deleted the card, took a picture and saved my contact info as was.
    It finally worked but i dont know how it is faster. Transfer worked eventually, but my problem as ever is a bad phone signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

At least we now know that even if the brits decide to do the right thing (i.e. leave) we still get interbank rates and can continue propping up the UK economy by shopping at UK online retailers.

My problem with Revolut seems to be sorted (fingers crossed) apart from multiple top-ups now appearing when I wanted only one! I'm afraid to have a look at my online banking balance ...
    OH's card, however, has ceased to function at all. Deleting and re-adding the card invoked the Verify by Visa page and it won't accept his details there for some unknown reason. Been onto the bank, who say it's the Revolut app at fault and Revolut blame the bank. Head is fried!

• Advertisement

hots wrote: »

I cannot read the notifications either. I get a short preview on my Android Marshmallow phone, but clicking into it brings me to the Revolut login screen and they don't appear at all on the Support page?

I have no idea where they're stored on the phone. I can find a list of all my notifications on Widgets, but the actual wording is not there. Does anyone know where they are?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement