Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I cannot read the notifications either. I get a short preview on my Android Marshmallow phone, but clicking into it brings me to the Revolut login screen and they don't appear at all on the Support page?

I have no idea where they're stored on the phone. I can find a list of all my notifications on Widgets, but the actual wording is not there. Does anyone know where they are?

Same problem to me too since yesterday. I got a notification yesterday later to which I have been facing this problem. I updated the app but no use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I cannot read the notifications either. I get a short preview on my Android Marshmallow phone, but clicking into it brings me to the Revolut login screen and they don't appear at all on the Support page?

I have no idea where they're stored on the phone. I can find a list of all my notifications on Widgets, but the actual wording is not there. Does anyone know where they are?

Support replied and said it's a known issue and they're fixing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

All new cards issued are now contactless and no exisiting customers cant change to contactless for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

Delta2113 wrote: »
    All new cards issued are now contactless and no exisiting customers cant change to contactless for the moment.

Ah great. I asked the same question to support but didn't receive an answer.

I'm with an old BoI card that's not contactless and won't expire in a couple years, and now this! I hope they say how we can replace it soon, since I do a lot of small transactions in stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I reported my card as lost and ordered a new one for 8 euro.

Contactless on the way. Money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭dan786

Anyone else having issue with Android app? Freezes after loging in. Tried re-installed and even a different phone. Same issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

I am going to the UK next week. Normally I top up the card in euro then just withdraw it in sterling at an ATM over there. With sterling the way it is now should I, or in fact can I, convert it to sterling in the revolut app now to lock in the rate and withdrew as normal in the UK, or does it have to remain in euros ? Sorry if this has been answered before, I've had the card ages but only top up when I go to the UK so Ive forgotten if it was possible to do it. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

chasm wrote: »
    I am going to the UK next week. Normally I top up the card in euro then just withdraw it in sterling at an ATM over there. With sterling the way it is now should I, or in fact can I, convert it to sterling in the revolut app now to lock in the rate and withdrew as normal in the UK, or does it have to remain in euros ? Sorry if this has been answered before, I've had the card ages but only top up when I go to the UK so Ive forgotten if it was possible to do it. Thanks in advance.

I woke up and checked the rate this morning and exchanged euros to pounds as I'm heading next week, getting a nice bit extra now since they decided to leave the eu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

chasm wrote: »

You can go into the App, click on "exchange" icon and change money from your € Wallet to your £ wallet and than when you are in the UK you can withdraw on an ATM and it takes it from the £ wallet first. Remember the ATM fair usage limits of 500£ (after which you pay 2% ATM fee).

As to if you the £ is going to recover from the massive drop it just did today is anybody's guess, so you do this on your own risk as with every currency conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Lads.

I can't seem to find clear answers on these questions.

I download the app ,set it up ,fine. Do I then link my Revolut to an Irish bank account (AIB etc ) ? If I have €1000 in my bank account , will the Revolut card just withdraw the amount needed from the bank account for the foreign transaction ,or is it like them bloody awful prepay credit cards that where out years ago where you had to top up the card before the transaction that always left you with dead money on the card after the transaction ?

What is the spending limit ? Could I go up north to buy a car and spend €12000 for example ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Lads.

I can't seem to find clear answers on these questions.

I download the app ,set it up ,fine. Do I then link my Revolut to an Irish bank account (AIB etc ) ? If I have €1000 in my bank account , will the Revolut card just withdraw the amount needed from the bank account for the foreign transaction ,or is it like them bloody awful prepay credit cards that where out years ago where you had to top up the card before the transaction that always left you with dead money on the card after the transaction ?

What is the spending limit ? Could I go up north to buy a car and spend €12000 for example ?

Thanks.

Limits:
    https://revolut.com/faq/gettingstarted.php?faq_question=Are+there+limits+to+my+Revolut+account%3F

Usage:
    You need to put money into the wallet (or as yo say load it) either by making a SEPA transfer or by using any Debit card. Revolut is not linked to your bank account to make automatic withdraws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Limits:
    https://revolut.com/faq/gettingstarted.php?faq_question=Are+there+limits+to+my+Revolut+account%3F

Usage:
    You need to put money into the wallet (or as yo say load it) either by making a SEPA transfer or by using any Debit card. Revolut is not linked to your bank account to make automatic withdraws.

Thanks for that info.

So ... I have to know in advance the exchange rates etc and load it up before the purchase.

I'll sleep on it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

So ... I have to know in advance the exchange rates etc and load it up before the purchase.

You have a choice - you can load with euros from your irish bank account and leave your full balance in euros or exchange some or all your euros to GBP to lock in a specific exchange rate.

If you've only euros loaded, Sterling purchases will be taken from that one by one at the exchange rate applicable when you make the transactions.

If you have money left over and don't want to leave it on the cards just top up to the nearest €10 and withdraw the cash from an ATM here.

Its only if you want to be certain of the exchange rate or wish to avoid a slightly worse weekend FX rate that its worth exchanging euros to sterling and holding a sterling balance.

Am I ok to withdraw in £ from bank of Ireland atm in Dublin airport? And not get charged any fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

Sono wrote: »
    Am I ok to withdraw in £ from bank of Ireland atm in Dublin airport? And not get charged any fees?

I am pretty sure that the sterling ATMs in Dublin airport will do the currency conversion for you ... ie a bad rate.... they charge you in euros and dispense sterling at a rate chosen by BoI.

You would be better to use a Bank's ATM at the UK airport --- you probably won't be asked but if you are refuse any ATM currency conversion... always allow the merchant or ATM to process your transactions in the local currency of where you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I'm late into this but just signed up. I only stuck in €20. You now need to lodge £500 for a sign on bonus. Still glad to have it though. Add my thanks to OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm late into this but just signed up. I only stuck in €20. You now need to lodge £500 for a sign on bonus. Still glad to have it though. Add my thanks to OP.

The sign-on bonus isn't available to Irish users any longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Thanks for that info.

I'll sleep on it a bit more.

You can check the exchange rate on the app at the time you make the purchase, but i think its easier to buy a chunk of sterling throw it in your sterling wallet and spend that, as u need.
    You also used to be able to use the website to see what exchange was available for all currencies through revolut but i cant find that page now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Hi,

I have seen a couple of notifications on my phone from the app in the past couple of days, (e.g. today something about nearing top-up limit). As soon as I do anything to like try to read or open the notification, it disappears. Is there any way to see what these notifications are?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

I'm heading up north to buy a car soon. Ive only ever used the card for small online purchases. Is there a maximum spend or any other problems to expect using it in the car dealers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

I used my Revolut card to make a purchase on amazon.co.uk but I need to return it and amazon customer service said that they'll refund the amount to original card used for the transaction. Anyone know how long it takes to receive refunds from Amazon?

I'm heading up north to buy a car soon. Ive only ever used the card for small online purchases. Is there a maximum spend or any other problems to expect using it in the car dealers?

Limits

So the maximum you can do is 5000£ in a 96 hour period.

toby2111 wrote: »
    I used my Revolut card to make a purchase on amazon.co.uk but I need to return it and amazon customer service said that they'll refund the amount to original card used for the transaction. Anyone know how long it takes to receive refunds from Amazon?

Anything from 24 hours to 2 month is my experience.

Plus in April I got several refunds twice.

Refunds is something that does not work well with Revolut for some reason (at least for me).

Plus in April I got several refunds twice.

Refunds is something that does not work well with Revolut for some reason (at least for me).

Did they chase you for the money refunded twice?

Sono wrote: »
    Did they chase you for the money refunded twice?

The opposite, I chased them several times, the same for the sudden disappearance of a payment that I made which went away after being "pending" for a month. The seller says, they have the money, so they don't care either.

I have a large amount of £ in my wallet which is not mine and Revolut does not care, I leave it there in case they ever sort themselves out.

My trust in Revolut being able to cope with any irregular transactions is 0.

Thats not good to hear...Nothing I can do,I suppose.Just have to wait. Hopefully,it wont take 2 months!

The opposite, I chased them several times, the same for the sudden disappearance of a payment that I made which went away after being "pending" for a month. The seller says, they have the money, so they don't care either.

I have a large amount of £ in my wallet which is not mine and Revolut does not care, I leave it there in case they ever sort themselves out.

My trust in Revolut being able to cope with any irregular transactions is 0.

Christ that is bizarre!

I have 3 cards,one of them being the Revolut card,for use on my amazon account.But after hearing that,I think I'll try request refund to a different card. I wonder would amazon do that?

I have 3 cards,one of them being the Revolut card,for use on my amazon account.But after hearing that,I think I'll try request refund to a different card. I wonder would amazon do that?

Not in my experience, refunds always go to the card that was used for the order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Back to original payment method. Or gift card if you request it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement