Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I'm using Revolut to change some euro into sterling and cash out to a UK account with Barclays. Anybody any idea how long this normally takes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

unreal rate on revolut today for the euro against the pound, was very close to .84gbp not so long ago, keep falling please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Actually Revolut same as xe.com oops! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Replacement contactless card shipping.

Happy days.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm using Revolut to change some euro into sterling and cash out to a UK account with Barclays. Anybody any idea how long this normally takes?

About a day normally, I've paid a uk bank Barclays account a few times in the last few weeks and it normally hits their acc in 24 hrs

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    About a day normally, I've paid a uk bank Barclays account a few times in the last few weeks and it normally hits their acc in 24 hrs

Great, thanks. Will be keeping an eye out for it as have had some difficulties with addresses recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

Tried purchasing a phone only via the one+ site and got payment declined but money's pending on the card. What's the normal time frame before the money is released back to the card or is it retailer dependant?

5500 wrote: »
    Tried purchasing a phone only via the one+ site and got payment declined but money's pending on the card. What's the normal time frame before the money is released back to the card or is it retailer dependant?

I couldn't get oneplus to take mine either last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

I spoke to support recently about refunds and pending charges - they told me they can reverse a charge after 10 days. I don't know if that's calendar days or working days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

So I'm going to liverpool in 2 weeks. I'm going to top the card up from my visa card tomorrow. So I just withdraw from a random bank machine to avail of their better rates? I'll be changing €500. Should I take it out in one go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

MarkY91 wrote: »
    So I'm going to liverpool in 2 weeks. I'm going to top the card up from my visa card tomorrow. So I just withdraw from a random bank machine to avail of their better rates? I'll be changing €500. Should I take it out in one go?

You simply go to any machine that accepts Mastercard and withdraw the amount you wish in one go. Remember that withdraws are only free up to 500£ a month.

If the machine has an internal limit than you need to do more than withdraw, but if I recall most machines do up to 1000£ as long as you bank is happy.

Stay away from Travelex ATM's and such because they might attempt to charge you in €, take a real bank like Barclays, TSB, Lloyds etc.

If you top up tomorrow, you might be best off to leave it in € and not exchange it to £ because the £ might drop, but that is not financial advise, it's for you to think about. If you don't exchange you simply do the withdraw in £ on the machine and revolut charge the equivalent to your € balance.

Anybody here use Revolut on Paddy Power, had mine rejected tonight.

Is you Revolut account ID verified?

Thanks, spot on, in fact I hadn't verified it but have just done so and identity accepted. Will try PP again in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

You can't use it on gambling sites, including the lotto!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭questionmark

hello , i have just ordered a card , do i need to do anything to activate it before i go or should it just work in the uk when i get their ? thanks

@killbillvol2 - Okay thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

You simply go to any machine that accepts Mastercard and withdraw the amount you wish in one go. Remember that withdraws are only free up to 500£ a month.

If the machine has an internal limit than you need to do more than withdraw, but if I recall most machines do up to 1000£ as long as you bank is happy.

Stay away from Travelex ATM's and such because they might attempt to charge you in €, take a real bank like Barclays, TSB, Lloyds etc.

If you top up tomorrow, you might be best off to leave it in € and not exchange it to £ because the £ might drop, but that is not financial advise, it's for you to think about. If you don't exchange you simply do the withdraw in £ on the machine and revolut charge the equivalent to your € balance.

But dropping off do you mean that it can continue to rise above .83?

Thanks for the advice!

He means the pound might continue to weaken against the euro post-Brexit, meaning you'd get more £ for your €. Obviously a sterling recovery would do the exact opposite.

The rate is very good at the minute and you get live info within the app. Probably best to keep an eye on it every hour or so and transfer bit by but depending on how much risk you like to take.

You can't use it on gambling sites, including the lotto!

Actually you can, if you are ID verified and the merchant sends the correct MCC (merchant category code) you can use the card for Betting/gambling services .

If you are not ID verified, there are maximum cumulative limits for those services (120$ if I remember).

The reason you can't use it at Irish Lotto is that it's not an Irish card and they don't like non Irish cards, just like billpay.ie .

If the denial comes from revolut because they won't allow you to use the card, you should see a push notification about that fact.

If the denial comes from the merchant (because of example they don't identify it correctly as Debit card) than you won't see any revolut notification, only the merchants error message.

Declined does not always mean it's revoluts issue, it might be the merchant or the merchants bank.

• Advertisement

Actually you can, if you are ID verified and the merchant sends the correct MCC (merchant category code) you can use the card for Betting/gambling services .

If you are not ID verified, there are maximum cumulative limits for those services (120$ if I remember).

The reason you can't use it at Irish Lotto is that it's not an Irish card and they don't like non Irish cards, just like billpay.ie .

If the denial comes from revolut because they won't allow you to use the card, you should see a push notification about that fact.

If the denial comes from the merchant (because of example they don't identify it correctly as Debit card) than you won't see any revolut notification, only the merchants error message.

Declined does not always mean it's revoluts issue, it might be the merchant or the merchants bank.

Mine was declined on a betting site and on the Irish Lotto site. I asked Revolut why and they said it couldn't be used on gambling sites.

Mine was declined on a betting site and on the Irish Lotto site. I asked Revolut why and they said it couldn't be used on gambling sites.

Irish Lotto is down to Irish Lotto not taking foreign cards. You should have been unable to add the card to your profile.

Betting sites should work, I would go back to support and ask them if they actual got a request for authorization. If you are ID verified it should work, otherwise there is as I said a limit.

Irish Lotto is down to Irish Lotto not taking foreign cards or identifying the card as credit card. You should have been unable to add the card to your profile.

Betting sites should work, I would go back to support and ask them if they actual got a request for authorization. If you are ID verified it should work, otherwise there is as I said a limit.

Have you successfully used it on a betting site?

As I said, I asked them why it was declined and they told me I couldn't use it on gambling sites. My ID is verified.

As I said, I asked them why it was declined and they told me I couldn't use it on gambling sites. My ID is verified.

Yes, I made a fortune with my brexit bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

MarkY91 wrote: »

Make sure if withdrawing from your euro wallet that you do it before foreign exchange markets close for the weekend, because the revolut rate is worse at weekends. Or just convert the money you need from euro to sterling before the weekend.

At least I know it is like this for foreign currencies, and think it is like this for sterling and dollars too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭5500

I couldn't get oneplus to take mine either last week.

I've found a workaround for anyone looking to buy from oneplus, add your revolut to your PayPal account and make sure it's verified and your PayPal balance is less than the cost of the phone, then just select paypal at checkout and it will work. Cost €371 plus €4 parcel wizard or whatever other service you use versus 399 euro so 24 saving with revolut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

How come my card is declined by Amazon?Ive tried to buy few things since last night and firstly my card is being charged and money pending and after few hours im getting email from amazon that my card was unable to be charged?
    If anyone here tried to buy anything on amazon ls let me know how did you do it :D ?

In my revolut app I have eire code do I have to use eire code in billing address on amazon website as well?

Edit:just bought xbox live code from amazon US(billing address without eire code) with revolut but I cant buy anything from amazon.co.uk.I will have to contact customer support.... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Irish Lotto is down to Irish Lotto not taking foreign cards. You should have been unable to add the card to your profile.

I wouldnt take everything they say in support for gospel either... Its the same with any technical support, they are all trained and some are more knowledgeable than others. Sometimes you have to push an issue for resolution, even when they all say you are wrong.
    Unless you finally realise you are wrong..

How come my card is declined by Amazon?Ive tried to buy few things since last night and firstly my card is being charged and money pending and after few hours im getting email from amazon that my card was unable to be charged?
    If anyone here tried to buy anything on amazon ls let me know how did you do it :D ?

In my revolut app I have eire code do I have to use eire code in billing address on amazon website as well?

Edit:just bought xbox live code from amazon US(billing address without eire code) with revolut but I cant buy anything from amazon.co.uk.I will have to contact customer support.... :(

I'm constantly using my Revolut Card on Amazon.co.uk.

I have added it as Mastercard with £ as currency setting.

My Address has my eircode in as Postcode.

I would contact Amazon and ask them what their problem is because if it's authorized first and than canceled it's something Amazon does not like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

I'm constantly using my Revolut Card on Amazon.co.uk.

I have added it as Mastercard with £ as currency setting.

My Address has my eircode in as Postcode.

I would contact Amazon and ask them what their problem is because if it's authorized first and than canceled it's something Amazon does not like.

Hi.Thx for that.I have started from ''scratch'' on amazon.co.uk.added as MC with £ and placed an order.Now the charged me 1£(??) but they havent charged me fully as Item not dispatched yet so hopefully will work this time.
    Its still strange that card works fine on US website but not here.For me anyway :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement