Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Hi.Thx for that.I have started from ''scratch'' on amazon.co.uk.added as MC with £ and placed an order.Now the charged me 1£(??) but they havent charged me fully as Item not dispatched yet so hopefully will work this time.
    Its still strange that card works fine on US website but not here.For me anyway :mad:

That is normal, if you add a new card or change some account details or just for fun they do a 1£ to check that the card is valid.

Once the order is ready to be dispatched they than will charge you the full amount of the order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Is it possible to top up an account from an account that isn't in USD, GBP or Euro?

If so, is it possible to do it without incurring fees?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Used my card for first time in uk today, withdrew money from atm no problem, went to pay for stuff in tesco 5 mins later and it declined my pin twice, then a few hours later tried it in a restaurant and same thing happened.

Went atm about an hour later and it worked fine, anyone else experience this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Sono wrote: »
    Used my card for first time in uk today, withdrew money from atm no problem, went to pay for stuff in tesco 5 mins later and it declined my pin twice, then a few hours later tried it in a restaurant and same thing happened.

Went atm about an hour later and it worked fine, anyone else experience this problem?

Have you checked under Card Security to see if you have something disabled? You can have ATM withdrawals allowed but magstripe payments disabled, maybe check that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I'm due a refund from Amazon.co.uk on my Revolut. The sterling payment was taken from my euro balance back when sterling was stronger. So the refund amount in sterling will be converted back to euro and end up as a lower balance. Can I ensure the refund payment remains in sterling by setting the default currency to sterling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Buying Sterling now to pay in Sterling later?

Hi. I need pay Queens University Belfast college fees before September. Can I use the Revolut credit card to buy Sterling now, taking advantage of the weak Sterling, in order to pay my college fees online in August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Bog Butter wrote: »
    Buying Sterling now to pay in Sterling later?

Hi. I need pay Queens University Belfast college fees before September. Can I use the Revolut credit card to buy Sterling now, taking advantage of the weak Sterling, in order to pay my college fees online in August?

You should be able to yes. Just top up Revolut with how much you want then exchange it into Sterling to lock in the rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Sono wrote: »

Have you checked under Card Security to see if you have something disabled? You can have ATM withdrawals allowed but magstripe payments disabled, maybe check that?

Hi, just had a quick check and it seems all those settings are the same as withdrawal settings, I changed my location settings from never to on when using app maybe that will help? I'll report back, customer service have not replied to me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tonto24

Hey guys travelling to Thailand in 2weeks for 3weeks! Is there any need in me ordering say €200 or €300 worth of Baht from my Bank and using my Revolut card for withdrawing over whenever I need?

tonto24 wrote: »
    Hey guys travelling to Thailand in 2weeks for 3weeks! Is there any need in me ordering say €200 or €300 worth of Baht from my Bank and using my Revolut card for withdrawing over whenever I need?

Revolut does not offer interbank rates for THB, they have their own exchange rate for it as they claim it's difficult to obtain, so you best compare it with your banks rate. You can see the rate they offer in the App.

Also remember that withdrawing cash at ATM's in Thailand costs a fee by the banks there of 300 THB each time. If you are in BKK you might be able to try a citibank ATM as they sometimes don't charge the fee for UK issued cards.

Cash is always a good alternative in Thailand, but you might be getting better rate when changing cash in BKK, google it, there are some reports about great rates at some exchange offices that beat rates you get in Ireland.

Enjoy your holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Just take Euro, don't bother changing here. Tip: Make sure all your banknotes are in mint condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Revolut rate on THB is pretty good so it's good for paying with the card in hotels, shops etc. (And the ATM fee is 200 baht).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

I just noticed something: When you get a refund in GBP or USD, and the initial payment amount was directly exchanged from your EUR balance, you'll get a refund equivalent to the exact amount taken from your EUR balance, so you don't end up losing if GBP or USD decreased after your initial transaction.

I think that this is great from revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Annie_Oakes

I paid through PayPal last night and no issue. Tried to pay today through PayPal and get message saying failed as I need to verify my top-up card. I contacted support and they advise to remove my card and then re-add it as soon all users will need to remove and re-add their card as they are gradually changing their payment processor.

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm due a refund from Amazon.co.uk on my Revolut. The sterling payment was taken from my euro balance back when sterling was stronger. So the refund amount in sterling will be converted back to euro and end up as a lower balance. Can I ensure the refund payment remains in sterling by setting the default currency to sterling?
    Amouar wrote: »
    I just noticed something: When you get a refund in GBP or USD, and the initial payment amount was directly exchanged from your EUR balance, you'll get a refund equivalent to the exact amount taken from your EUR balance, so you don't end up losing if GBP or USD decreased after your initial transaction.

I think that this is great from revolut.

thanks for answering my question :pac:

Expecting a refund from Amazon.co.uk this week but wasn't sure if I will end up with less euros.

Are you sure this isn't just for a Pending payment that was cancelled though, rather than an order that was completed then refunded separately later?

thanks for answering my question :pac:

Expecting a refund from Amazon.co.uk this week but wasn't sure if I will end up with less euros.

Are you sure this isn't just for a Pending payment that was cancelled though, rather than an order that was completed then refunded separately later?
    It was a full refund , and not a pending transaction that didn't go through.

When paying for a flight on Ryanair with Revolut, you get the selections "Mastercard" and "Pre-paid Mastercard". I selected "Pre-paid Mastercard" as the fees were the same and the payment went through fine.

I take it there's no issue selecting either option though?

Amouar wrote: »
    It was a full refund , and not a pending transaction that didn't go through.

Great, what sort of time was there between the original payment date and the refund date?

When this happens on my AIB Visa I always ended up losing out due to fluctuations in the exchange rate (+ fees)

Great, what sort of time was there between the original payment date and the refund date?

When this happens on my AIB Visa I always ended up losing out due to fluctuations in the exchange rate (+ fees)

You will never receive back the exact same amount after a refund on visa and mastercard issued by the banks as they use the buy/sell spread even for refunds.

My original payment date was almost a month before the refund on revolut :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

Great card, yesterday I had 13 euros on it and today out of nowhere I have 130e. Madness. I think some transactions got refunded for some reason but i didn't request ant refunds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

When paying for a flight on Ryanair with Revolut, you get the selections "Mastercard" and "Pre-paid Mastercard". I selected "Pre-paid Mastercard" as the fees were the same and the payment went through fine.

I take it there's no issue selecting either option though?

There's also the option for MasterCard Debit for which the 2% fee doesn't apply. I always select this and it goes through as that.

I assume it doesn't matter what you select and all Revolut transactions are processed as MasterCard Debit.

Quackster wrote: »
    There's also the option for MasterCard Debit for which the 2% fee doesn't apply. I always select this and it goes through as that.

I assume it doesn't matter what you select and all Revolut transactions are processed as MasterCard Debit.

Grand next time. The fee was only about €0.56 as I got a €28 flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

Are there any banks in the NY area that don't charge fees for atm withdrawals?

I was here a year ago and I found at least 2 that didn't charge but can't remember which they were, am back in ny for a few weeks again and every atm I've tried so far is charging a withdrawal fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

I have been to Thailand a few times while travelling around Asia and last time I had the revolut card. It got me a better rate than was being offered at the usual cash converters I would have used in Bangkok (best rate around) so I just used the revolut card.

There was no limits at that stage whereas now there is a limit on it. I used it for everything such as hotels, some restaurants if they took card and only used cash when necessary. There is a 200THB charge for any ATM withdrawals so I tended to withdraw in bulk. If you are using an Irish card, the last time I was in Thailand they were limiting withdrawals to 250 euro a day which is ok but means you get hit with more charges.

Personally I wouldnt bother with cash or anything from the Irish banks, when you come out in the airport there is literally bank machines everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Anybody having problems lately with Revolut on Amazon? I bought last weekend no problems but made a purchase last night and everything went okay, it seemed. 90 minutes after confirmation email I got another email saying payment declined. I can change to a Visa card but I had/have £90GBP in my Revolut a/c so wanted to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fade out

Looking to purchase a car in England soon and this looks the cheapest way. The car will be roughly £7500 but card has a max of £5000 per 96 hours. I was thinking of ordering my girlfriend a card too and loading £2500 on hers and then use the two cards when over there. Any problems with this do you think ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

fade out wrote: »
    Looking to purchase a car in England soon and this looks the cheapest way. The car will be roughly £7500 but card has a max of £5000 per 96 hours. I was thinking of ordering my girlfriend a card too and loading £2500 on hers and then use the two cards when over there. Any problems with this do you think ?
    Did a comparison on this recently. Rate was very good but like you say, max of £5000. You also need to check and see if car dealership will accept this form of payment.

Bear in mind you can't depend on revolut either - sometimes, with certain vendors, it simply doesn't work.

Transfermate were (very) marginally cheaper - and may be a better solution for you.

Giving that your car dealership is going to have pay a lot of money for that transaction to his card processor, maybe you can get a better deal from him if you pay via a bank transfer via for example transferwise/transfermate etc.. That way you also get good rates and have no hassle in case of card problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fade out

You also need to check and see if car dealership will accept this form of payment.

Transfermate were (very) marginally cheaper - and may be a better solution for you.

Good point. I notice revolut offer a bank transfer option also and I don't think the £5000 limit applies. Would transfer mate just be quicker? As in can I get the whole transaction done on one day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Good point. I notice revolut offer a bank transfer option also and I don't think the £5000 limit applies. Would transfer mate just be quicker? As in can I get the whole transaction done on one day?

It can - but it may be messy. You would need to allow for things going wrong. I assume you dont want to transfer the cash until you've seen the car and all is in order? If so, with travel time, etc - it may not leave you much time.

Went over with someone a few years back and they were waiting a few hours for the transaction to complete. Perhaps go over on a Thursday - and leave yourself at least one other business day - just in case things go pear shaped.

If you have a GBP account of your own, then the above shouldnt be an issue. However, if you are making the transaction direct from transfermate to the dealer, you need to talk to them in advance. They're used to dealing with that type of business - you will probably have to pay transfermate in advance of the full transaction - they hold the cash in their uk account - and upon a call to them, they will release the funds. I think they can only guarantee same day transaction if done by something like 1pm or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement