Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Anybody having problems lately with Revolut on Amazon? I bought last weekend no problems but made a purchase last night and everything went okay, it seemed. 90 minutes after confirmation email I got another email saying payment declined. I can change to a Visa card but I had/have £90GBP in my Revolut a/c so wanted to use that.

I just did an order at amazon without problems.

However I noticed that amazon requested 0£ to validate the card before they than requesting the actual order amount. Used to be 1£.

Instead of an actual order, maybe you try purchasing the amount you need as gift card, those charges are usual immediately and you than can use your gift card balance. Just as a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Went back to Amazon and retried Mastercard (Revolut) and payment worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,864 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Tried to buy something in Sterling online and was puzzled, it seems there's a 2.1% difference between GBP to EUR and EUR to GBP. £10 is €11.79, but €11.79 only gets you £9.79. Is this a hidden fee or are those the actual rates? Had to spend a few euro extra than expected

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

ShaneU wrote: »
    Tried to buy something in Sterling online and was puzzled, it seems there's a 2.1% difference between GBP to EUR and EUR to GBP. £10 is €11.79, but €11.79 only gets you £9.79. Is this a hidden fee or are those the actual rates? Had to spend a few euro extra than expected

Those are the weekend rates - don't use revolut for exchange from Friday evening until Monday morning.

If you plan on spending over the weekend, exchange your money early on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Anybody having problems lately with Revolut on Amazon? I bought last weekend no problems but made a purchase last night and everything went okay, it seemed. 90 minutes after confirmation email I got another email saying payment declined. I can change to a Visa card but I had/have £90GBP in my Revolut a/c so wanted to use that.

I have problems sometimes but my last 2 items I bought with amazon vouchers as they are''virtual'' items so you get it straight away via email and then Im using them as payment.You can choose any value so it is vary handy that way and refunds are much quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm due to pay for something on paypal in USD. The price in euro is €40 more just paying through my bank card than the exact same amount in USA when looking up the rates on the revolut card.

So can I top the card up with X amount, exchange to USD then transfer it over/pay on paypal? Saving me €40..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm due to pay for something on paypal in USD. The price in euro is €40 more just paying through my bank card than the exact same amount in USA when looking up the rates on the revolut card.

So can I top the card up with X amount, exchange to USD then transfer it over/pay on paypal? Saving me €40..

I've just tried to add revolut card on paypal but it's not having it. I googled same and it looks like they're not compatible.

Have not used ebay in years due to them only accepting paypal - recently reluctantly reactivated paypal account but everything on ebay getting listed in another currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I've just tried to add revolut card on paypal but it's not having it. I googled same and it looks like they're not compatible.

I have my Revolut on PayPal and have used it lots of times already. Not sure why you're having problems with it.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    I have my Revolut on PayPal and have used it lots of times already. Not sure why you're having problems with it.

It wouldn't accept it when I went to add it on paypal.

Weird...tried it again just now. Paypal says 'not accepted' - then Revolut app says pending transaction of $1 to paypal. Paypal account in euro, revolut balance in euro.

confused....

• Advertisement

L try to add it to my PayPal and I'll report back guys. But of it does add then I am set to save that €40 yeah?

It worked. It took €1. How do I get it back?

I'm going to lodge the €849 and convert it tomorrow and see if I can save the €40

MarkY91 wrote: »
    L try to add it to my PayPal and I'll report back guys. But of it does add then I am set to save that €40 yeah?
    Someone else can confirm but that may depend upon paypal. Perhaps you will temporarily have to set your paypal account currency to usd??...otherwise, paypal will look to pull euro from your revolut.

Could be wrong - but others will know if they have successfully linked revolut and paypal.

Got on to paypal support and they have now added revolut card. Apparently, they wont allow any card to be added if there is any difference between the details of the card holder and of the paypal account holder. I think I used eircode for one and not the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Got the contactless card. Happy days.

Gonna use it full time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Got the contactless card. Happy days.

Gonna use it full time now

When did they release a contactless card?
    I only got my card in April, but not contactless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

You were unlucky. I got mine this morning too, contactless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I just got on to support and they don't have enough cards at the moment to offer them to new and old customers but they hope to in the very near future.
    Early adopters and loyalty aren't high on Revoluts agenda,
    it seems they're more worried about getting as many customers as quick as they can.

Report card as lost / block it and order a new one.

8 euro for a replacement. Takes about 7 days to arrive.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Not worth the hassle to be honest, I'd then have to go through all the hassles of adding it to my Amazon acc, Paypal acc and my Spotify account again as it will more than likely have a different number. I'm not overly bothered by contactless anyway as personally I still prefer the pin method as I think it's much safer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I just got on to support and they don't have enough cards at the moment to offer them to new and old customers but they hope to in the very near future.
    Early adopters and loyalty aren't high on Revoluts agenda,
    it seems they're more worried about getting as many customers as quick as they can.

You signed up when they were giving out standard cards. Why should they just send you one for being an early adopter? They're a start up who can't afford unnecessary cost.

As highlighted, if you really want one that badly, you have the option to pay for one.

Some people really do just ****ing want everything for free in this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

You signed up when they were giving out standard cards. Why should they just send you one for being an early adopter? They're a start up who can't afford unnecessary cost.

As highlighted, if you really want one that badly, you have the option to pay for one.

Some people really do just ****ing want everything for free in this world.

Oh so Revolut are gaining nothing from me lodging money into my card and using and promoting their service?
    I don't want anything for free mate, I just want all customers to be treated equally and not at a disadvantage for signing up early.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Not worth the hassle to be honest, I'd then have to go through all the hassles of adding it to my Amazon acc, Paypal acc and my Spotify account again as it will more than likely have a different number. I'm not overly bothered by contactless anyway as personally I still prefer the pin method as I think it's much safer.

Took me all of 5mins to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Oh so Revolut are gaining nothing from me lodging money into my card and using and promoting their service?
    I don't want anything for free mate, I just want all customers to be treated equally and not at a disadvantage for signing up early.

You're not being treated unequally. They've said they will provide cards too existing users when they can. In the interim, I'm sure you can get by.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Took me all of 5mins to do that.

Still don't see the attraction of contactless cards to be honest, what happens if you misplace your card and not realise for an hour or two, somebody could potentially go on a spending spree with your card in that time. I guess with the Revolut card we have the advantage of getting an instant notification when a transaction is made, but on normal visa debit cards, we dont get that luxury.

Oh, and I am aware it's only up to a maximum of €30 but in a city centre you could get to a good few shops in 90mins

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Still don't see the attraction of contactless cards to be honest, what happens if you misplace your card and not realise for an hour or two, somebody could potentially go on a spending spree with your card in that time. I guess with the Revolut card we have the advantage of getting an instant notification when a transaction is made, but on normal visa debit cards, we dont get that luxury.

Oh, and I am aware it's only up to a maximum of €30 but in a city centre you could get to a good few shops in 90mins

They'd be covered by anti-fraud protection, just like any other non-contactless card. That's always been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

They'd be covered by anti-fraud protection, just like any other non-contactless card. That's always been the case.

There is no anti fraud protection on Revolut, as it's seen as a prepaid card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Amouar wrote: »
    There is no anti fraud protection on Revolut, as it's seen as a prepaid card.

I quoted the post I was replying to, which highlighted the risk "on normal [contactless] visa debit cards".

But in any case I was still under the impression that you're protected with prepaid cards too, a quick google backs that up: http://www.mastercard.com/za/consumer/prepaid-faq.html

Have you more info though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

I quoted the post I was replying to, which highlighted the risk "on normal [contactless] visa debit cards".

But in any case I was still under the impression that you're protected with prepaid cards too, a quick google backs that up: http://www.mastercard.com/za/consumer/prepaid-faq.html

Have you more info though?

They used to have a section in their t&c which clearly said that there was no anti fraud protection as it's not required for prepaid cards but I can't find it anymore as they updated their t&c which now includes the following part:
    Unauthorized Transactions

9.3 If you become aware of any unauthorized charge occurring through your Revolut Account, you should contact Revolut customer support as soon as possible via phone at +44 (0) 203 725 7583 or via e-mail at support@revolut.com.

• Advertisement

Amouar wrote: »
    They used to have a section in their t&c which clearly said that there was no anti fraud protection as it's not required for prepaid cards but I can't find it anymore as they updated their t&c which now includes the following part:

All I could find under their FAQ, under security, was this:
    All your card transactions are processed by the MasterCard network and are protected by MasterCard rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement