Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Quackster wrote: »
    MarkY91 wrote: »
    Just arrived in Liverpool and my card keeps getting declined. I put the wrong password in then checked the app to see my password is actually different (got confused with my app password)

What can i do? I'm stuck here for 2 nights with like 150 and have to pay my hostel out of that.

Is the card PIN now blocked? Try changing the card PIN in the app and then try using the card at an ATM using the new PIN.

Not sure but I did do it wring at least 5 times. I can only change the pin at an atm.

I'm on the bus to the city centre so l try then. Hopefully I sort this!

Change the PIN in the app first and then use an ATM. Don't try changing the PIN at the ATM.

I can't and never could change the pin in app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Do you have the new card with the NFC chip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Do you have the new card with the NFC chip?

Nope. I got mine a few weeks before they came out.

It worked last night s it seems to be grand now after an entirnety waiting for support to reply. Stress is gone now lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

With the latest App update you can no longer change the PIN in the App anymore, instead you are asked to visit a Mastercard CHIP & PIN ATM to use the "PIN Services" function there.

The same is the case if you need to unblock you card (for example after too many wrong PIN attempts), you first need to contact support via the App and than go to Mastercard CHIP & PIN ATM.

In addition if you have the new NFC chip card, some cards seam to have been delivered without Offline PIN capability which might create issues to use the card with merchants that do not validate the PIN online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Anyone taken them up on their investment offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Anyone taken them up on their investment offer?

Wanted to invest but need to have at least 15 of your contacts using the app as well and well I only have 4 out of the 300 contacts on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Baxtardo

This has probably been asked loads before but I couldn't find anything in the last few pages - apologies if so.

I'm heading to the states tomorrow for a few weeks, am I right in saying it will be much cheaper to use my Revolut card rather than Visa Debit? I just transfer money over on the app from my irish account and then just use the Revolut card at an ATM or in store?

How do the ATM withdrawal fees compare with using an Irish card over there?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Baxtardo wrote: »
    This has probably been asked loads before but I couldn't find anything in the last few pages - apologies if so.

I'm heading to the states tomorrow for a few weeks, am I right in saying it will be much cheaper to use my Revolut card rather than Visa Debit? I just transfer money over on the app from my irish account and then just use the Revolut card at an ATM or in store?

How do the ATM withdrawal fees compare with using an Irish card over there?

Cheers

https://revolut.com/faq/

Lucas Hood wrote: »

Got it, cheers.

From a bit of digging it seems TD and potentially Capitol One are the best / cheapest ATMs to use.

You have the right of it but avoid using card at the weekend if you haven't converted to USD in advance.

• Advertisement

Hadn't thought of that - should I be transferring over to USD in the app before using the card? I understand it locks the rate down but is it generally what's advised?

Baxtardo wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of that - should I be transferring over to USD in the app before using the card? I understand it locks the rate down but is it generally what's advised?

Yes, the rates lock down at a poor rate from Friday evening. For using the card at weekend, top up in euros and convert enough to USD to last you the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Trying to use this card online for a purchase of clothing and it keeps getting declined, anyone know what the issue may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Check security setting on the card on the app, maybe you've disabled e-commerce transactions! It's just a small on-off switch.

Just an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Shlippery wrote: »
    Check security setting on the card on the app, maybe you've disabled e-commerce transactions! It's just a small on-off switch.

Just an idea.

Legend thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there certain Atm's in Uk that don't charge you if you withdraw sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

mad m wrote: »
    yes, i thought usually they tell you how much they will take if they charge, and they have to.
    Otherwise its your card that will charge you money.

But always be careful.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

mad m wrote: »

Any ATM in or attached to a bank or post office won't charge you.
    Generally speaking, if it's got the name of a high-street bank on it, then you're fine.

It's the convenience ATMs that you find in corner shops, pubs etc that charge and they warn you that there will be a charge before you complete the transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I tried to top up by 1000 euro today and kept getting message "declined by you bank" and to get in contact with the bank. which I will do but just wondering if any one else had same experience??

I had already moved 700 to it in last week (new card) and so had verified my I'd with passport etc before it got to 1000 limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I tried to top up by 1000 euro today and kept getting message "declined by you bank" and to get in contact with the bank. which I will do but just wondering if any one else had same experience??

I had already moved 700 to it in last week (new card) and so had verified my I'd with passport etc before it got to 1000 limit

Happened to me last week when I tried to move 500 over to it, I did two 250 transactions and it worked. You could try 4 x 250?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I'm going to Budapest in a few weeks, i have the card and app but haven't really used it, i'm wondering would it be better for me to load my spending money onto the app in euros (Hungary don't use the euro currency) and just withdraw what i need as at ATMs there / use card to pay for things as needed? would this work out cheaper than actually getting currency changed at bank / currency converters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Don't change here if that's what you mean and do load on your Euro here before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Also
    I see 3 exchanges of euro to sterling
    and then I made 3 payments in sterling
    to amazon, virgin trains and London transport oyster card

but only virgin is showing as a purchases

is there somewhere other than the app I can see the transactions

Casshern88 wrote: »
    I'm going to Budapest in a few weeks, i have the card and app but haven't really used it, i'm wondering would it be better for me to load my spending money onto the app in euros (Hungary don't use the euro currency) and just withdraw what i need as at ATMs there / use card to pay for things as needed? would this work out cheaper than actually getting currency changed at bank / currency converters.

Better to load Revolut in euro on a day-to-day basis as you need rather than put a whole load of euro on in advance.

Your euro will then be converted into forint when you withdraw from ATMs or use your card for purchases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Better to load Revolut in euro on a day-to-day basis as you need rather than put a whole load of euro on in advance.

Your euro will then be converted into forint when you withdraw from ATMs or use your card for purchases.

Just curious why the day to day approach is better?? are you just suggesting this from a budgeting point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I used the Revolut card in Budapest last December - worked a treat at every ATM I used, and also for purchases. I loaded the Euros on a piecemeal basis too - for me, it was partly a security thing in case I lost the card and phone (my name is Perry Noya!) and also to monitor my spending!

I did have another card with me, although I didn't need or use it - this is emphasised so many times on this thread for good reasons. I didn't compute the savings I made as such, but the rates were much better than what I would have achieved through other methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Got a friend request on Facebook from someone saying they worked in Revolut - it's a scam -be careful out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Got a friend request on Facebook from someone saying they worked in Revolut - it's a scam -be careful out there!

I've always mean't to check out...

What financial regulator are they governed by? Is there any guarantee on funds held in a Revolut account if they go belly up?

• Advertisement

Just curious why the day to day approach is better?? are you just suggesting this from a budgeting point of view?

No, just in case there's an issue with your Revolut card/account, it's better you don't have all your spending money already loaded on it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement