Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Story with the investment thing?

Is there actually the chance of a return on investment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Story with the investment thing?

Is there actually the chance of a return on investment?

Entirely dependent on how you view the future of the company. You'll do well to get onto the list at this stage though. They were offering $1m to customers and as of last night had over $16m pledged!

Entirely dependent on how you view the future of the company. You'll do well to get onto the list at this stage though. They were offering $1m to customers and as of last night had over $16m pledged!

Yeah I'm on the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I've always mean't to check out...

What financial regulator are they governed by? Is there any guarantee on funds held in a Revolut account if they go belly up?

As per their own website:
    Revolut works with UK regulated entities to provide our platform such as Paysafe Financial Services Limited who are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority under the Electronic Money Regulations 2011 (FRN: 900015) for the issuing of electronic money and payment instruments, pursuant to a licence from MasterCard International. MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International.

Electronic Money is not guaranteed by the government, in theory funds are to be held in segregated accounts so that it's safe and can be refunded.

Again they state:
    The safe and secure transaction of currency is central to Revolut’s mission and philosophy. Revolut does not transact, take or keep any money from customers directly. All your money is held in ring-fenced client accounts at Barclays. That means if anything happens to Paysafe Financial Services or Revolut, your money is still safe.

However in case Revolut or Paysafe go bust (or the technology fails) how long it would take for you to get your money back is anybody's guess especially in light of their inability to correctly book transactions (there are several reports about incorrect refunds, double refunds, missing final deductions).

So in theory your money is safe as it's in ring-fenced accounts, but how you go and proof how much money is yours and how long it takes to get back is not clear.

New App Version 2.6 out on Apple devices
    We have seriously overhauled the transaction details screens to give you far more useful information about your Revolut usage!

Looks like some good improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Sono wrote: »
    Trying to use this card online for a purchase of clothing and it keeps getting declined, anyone know what the issue may be?

The app asked me to re-add my laser card which I did last week or the week before. Now today when I've gone to pay for something through paypal, I've realised that my revolut card is no longer linked to my paypal account and I'm unable to add it.

Anyone else have this issue? Security settings in revolut app are all fine. I noticed that I haven't seen any €1 charge/refund on my statement for re-adding the laser card - I wonder if this is the issue. Maybe AIB are blocking it

The revolut card is topping up fine and translating to other currencies though. Paypal says "This card is not accepted. Please use a different card."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

JoeyD wrote: »
    Anyone else have this issue? Security settings in revolut app are all fine. I noticed that I haven't seen any €1 charge/refund on my statement for re-adding the laser card - I wonder if this is the issue. Maybe AIB are blocking it
    Contact paypal support - they'll add it manually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

So they have a new card with an NFC chip then?

Boy am I glad to have the old one then, all it takes is a download of an app and nfc enabled to device to read all of someones credit details minus the CCV number.

Still hate the fact my bank card is contactless for this very reason. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Or don't be a sucker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

msmx5 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure that the sterling ATMs in Dublin airport will do the currency conversion for you ... ie a bad rate.... they charge you in euros and dispense sterling at a rate chosen by BoI.

You would be better to use a Bank's ATM at the UK airport --- you probably won't be asked but if you are refuse any ATM currency conversion... always allow the merchant or ATM to process your transactions in the local currency of where you are.

Does this apply if you have Sterling on the card?
    I need to give cash to someone heading over to UK, and was going to withdraw the Sterling from my card at a Sterling ATM in the airport. Will I be able to do this without conversion fees?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

johnb25 wrote: »
    I need to give cash to someone heading over to UK, and was going to withdraw the Sterling from my card at a Sterling ATM in the airport. Will I be able to do this without conversion fees?

Thanks

Most unlikely i think, as I would guess it will use your euro account to withdraw sterling. I see those machines as being there to give out the BoI fx rate on Sterling, not giving out sterling to a sterling account free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Anyone use this with a BoI visa debit card? I want to verify my card but the online banking only shows up as revolut* on the top ups. I believe there should be a 4 digit number after the revolut* part, but I never see it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Knasher wrote: »
    Anyone use this with a BoI visa debit card? I want to verify my card but the online banking only shows up as revolut* on the top ups. I believe there should be a 4 digit number after the revolut* part, but I never see it.

Are you using an app?

Mine is the same with PTSB, however when I check online using my PC I get the four digits.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Are you using an app?

Mine is the same with PTSB, however when I check online using my PC I get the four digits.

No I'm using their webpage, always comes up just as Revolut*. I might see if BoI has an app though, maybe it will be there...
    Edit: No such luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Are you using an app?

No I'm using their webpage, always comes up just as Revolut*. I might see if BoI has an app though, maybe it will be there...
    Edit: No such luck.

Look through your online transactions. I just checked mine and there are Revolut* with no code, and REVOLUT* with a code. All mixed up but i noticed since about mid-June theyre nearly all Revolut* transactions.
    Maybe you can go back further and find REVOLUT* transactions. No idea what the difference is.

Maybe you can go back further and find REVOLUT* transactions.
    I'm pretty late to the party, so I can't go back. I do have one REVOLUT* transaction, but sadly it is missing the code too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I'm pretty late to the party, so I can't go back. I do have one REVOLUT* transaction, but sadly it is missing the code too.

same issue here, with TSB it only shows REVOLUT* on statement. going abroad in few weeks and plan on using card as my main form of currency. So would like to have it verified just in case AC gets locked or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

johnb25 wrote: »

Thanks

I got caught once at an airport with a ATM run by the Money Exchange Company in the area. When I wanted to withdraw sterling it would only let me do their conversion which was at a very poor rate. In order of ATMs to use abraod:-

ATMS in a Bank... Note some banks charge per transaction also.

ATMS in a shop etc... where they charge per transaction

ATMS run by a currency exchange company who insist you withdraw in a currency other than the country you are in and who manage the conversion.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Casshern88 wrote: »
    same issue here, with TSB it only shows REVOLUT* on statement. going abroad in few weeks and plan on using card as my main form of currency. So would like to have it verified just in case AC gets locked or something.

I got my TSB code using the browser - not the app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I got my TSB code using the browser - not the app.

doesn't matter if i use browser or app i get the same Revolut* and no number. have ordered a paper statement will see if that makes difference.

I actually think it's a problem caused by Revolut that we only see Revolut*.

For a card I added at the beginning I could see the Revolut*1234 without a problem, I just added a different card and all I can see is Revolut*. And I know that that bank is always showing me the full info of transactions but this is very limited.

So I think if you need verify the card, you need to go spend some time with Revolut customer services to get it working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I've had no problem with PTSB but I joined Revolut in the early days.

Casshern88 wrote: »

Well the Revolut people reassured me that my debit card wouldn't be lock out, after I had verified my identity. Though I did try and make a payment to an online service that was blocked because I didn't have a verified debit card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is there a limit on 1k a year with this? Seems low, I've used near that in a couple of weeks since I got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

The 1k limit is only if you don't upload ID/verify identity, which only takes a couple of mins to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭darklighter

Does anyone know how long it takes for the physical card to arrive after ordering? It was posted on Jul 27

Does anyone know how long it takes for the physical card to arrive after ordering? It was posted on Jul 27

You'll have it by August 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭darklighter

Does anyone know how to get the 4 digit code if your Bank is TSB? Its not showing up on the app or via a web browser

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how to get the 4 digit code if your Bank is TSB? Its not showing up on the app or via a web browser

Has the transaction settled or is it still in pending?

I noticed with a new card that I only go the 4 digit code once the transaction had settled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement