Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So I've used this in 4 countries in the last 5 weeks. No issues with the card or app - some issues with particular ATMs but not Revolut's fault.

As to exchange rates:

Malaysia - almost exactly at the interbank rate so great value.
    Sri Lanka - although it's not a currency listed in the app the rate was better than any rate available at a money changer or bank. There's a charge to use ATMs but a large withdrawal cancels out the effect.
    Thailand - a fair bit off the interbank rate but still a better rate than most exchange booths apart from the really competitive ones. Way ahead of my AIB CC or PTSB debit card.
    Vietnam - a cash withdrawal actually gave a better rate than the interbank rate although the currency is not officially listed.

The security of being able to block the card when you're not using it is invaluable also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Yes, i saw that too. But it wasnt the outage i had an issue with. It was a near 3 month old transaction showing up. Again.
    According to support money wasnt taken from card back in May, but i did see it on the app at the time.

Run yourself a statement for that period and check if it was really taken.
    http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/144654537512/new-feature-exportable-statements

It's a known issue that sometimes pending transactions disappear but are never really processed despite the receiving company saying all is good. I have several pending authorizations that disappeared but the seller is adamant they got their money. I have several hundred £ in the wallet just because sooner or later they will notice the mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Off to the UK for a couple of weeks on Friday. Will be using this in ATMs while over there. Wondering should I top up in euro or stg. Is there any difference or does toppint up in stg just guarantee the rate? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Top up in EUROS.

After that it doesn't really matter if you exchange in a lump sum or let Revolut do a live exchange as you spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Top up in EUROS.

After that it doesn't really matter if you exchange in a lump sum or let Revolut do a live exchange as you spend.

Except at weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭dercunx

If I use this card in an atm in Africa, are there fees??

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

Is there an ATM in Birmingham Airport, that doesn't charge a fee for Pounds withdrawal? Thanks in advance.

mac.in wrote: »
    Is there an ATM in Birmingham Airport, that doesn't charge a fee for Pounds withdrawal? Thanks in advance.

There is a Raphael's bank ATM that does not charge a fee to the best of my knowledge.

Stay away from the ICE ATM as it will attempt to charge you in € for their bad rate even if you withdraw £.

dercunx wrote: »
    If I use this card in an atm in Africa, are there fees??

If you stay under the fair usage limits Revolut won't charge you a fee if you withdraw in the currencies they support. Refer to the FAQ for current fair usage limits for ATM's and support currencies as they change.

However the ATM provider might charge you a fee, which in theory should be displayed on the ATM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I updated to the current version but cannot find an option to generate a statement. I messaged tech support but the reply was like it was not addressing the current version as he was talking about options and buttons that I can't see. Anybody do one in current version?

• Advertisement

I updated to the current version but cannot find an option to generate a statement. I messaged tech support but the reply was like it was not addressing the current version as he was talking about options and buttons that I can't see. Anybody do one in current version?

I can only give you this for Apple, Android might be similar:
    1. Go into the currency wallet you want to look at
    2. Slide up the transaction log window until you see "all time" on top of the screen showing the transactions
    3. Slide the "all time" to the right (or click on the < icon) to get shown the month you want
    4. On the top left there should be a sharing icon which than allows you to export the statement.

Hope that helps.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I can only give you this for Apple, Android might be similar:
      1. Go into the currency wallet you want to look at
      2. Slide up the transaction log window until you see "all time" on top of the screen showing the transactions
      3. Slide the "all time" to the right (or click on the < icon) to get shown the month you want
      4. On the top left there should be a sharing icon which than allows you to export the statement.

Hope that helps.

Android very similar. Scroll up when in your selected currency and viewing transaction history. Printer icon appears in top right. Select your parameters and export.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Feeling like a dullard but just can't see the options to share or print. :o

Revolut.jpg

2. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Def something up with yours. Try uninstall and reinstall?

3. Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

I got a pop-up message that the account could be topped up from the credit card too.

4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Feeling like a dullard but just can't see the options to share or print. :o

Revolut.jpg

Not sure but it seems to work, when i select a transaction then close it and the wallet currency is left only filling top line with print icon beside it and transactions underneath.
        Which when i look again is what you have on your phone...minus the print icon. Ooops. :/
        What comes up for the menu options?

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

<snip>What comes up for the menu options?

The 3 bar menu on top reveals, All (transactions) - Card Payment - Transfer - Top Up - Withdrawal - ATM Withdrawal - Exchange

The pink menu button is the usual, My Card, Bank, Support, Profile. :confused:

6. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If you stay under the fair usage limits Revolut won't charge you a fee if you withdraw in the currencies they support. Refer to the FAQ for current fair usage limits for ATM's and support currencies as they change.

However the ATM provider might charge you a fee, which in theory should be displayed on the ATM.

Daughter in Panama at moment, Revolut stated when she is over there stick to
        Atm's that have MasterCard logo to not be charged any fees. She has done two different withdrawals in different parts of Panama. First she was asked by Atm in a bank select credit or debit, she selected credit and was charged $5.25 to withdraw $200. Then earlier I got onto Revolut and they said she should of selected debit. So she went to atm (MasterCard logo) and selected debit and low and behold a charge of $5.25.

I've got back onto Revolut but does anyone have any other suggestions

7. Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

mad m wrote: »
        Atm's that have MasterCard logo to not be charged any fees. She has done two different withdrawals in different parts of Panama. First she was asked by Atm in a bank select credit or debit, she selected credit and was charged $5.25 to withdraw $200. Then earlier I got onto Revolut and they said she should of selected debit. So she went to atm (MasterCard logo) and selected debit and low and behold a charge of $5.25.

It seems to me that it's a charge in Panama to use those ATMs and there is nothing Revolut can do about that.

Speculation on my part.

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

mad m wrote: »

Panama is one of those countries where you have to pay a service charge to the ATM operator to access your money and it does not matter if it's credit or debit card, as long as it goes with the international mastercard or visa network.

This is not a charge from Revolut, in effect the ATM operator makes money twice because they charge you and revolut also has to pay an access charge to the operator.

Nothing you can do, if you use the Mastercard ATM finder you can search for ATM's that should be surcharge free, but there is none in Panama.

As usual Revolut Customer services does not know what they are talking about.

Best way around it is to pay as much with card as possible or withdraw money only once.

9. Advertisement
      10. Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hangar18_

How long will a refund form PayPal take to show up on my card

11. Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

hangar18_ wrote: »
        How long will a refund form PayPal take to show up on my card

I think it can take 2 weeks easily, PayPal refunds seem to super slow.

12. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

I've just got the card and I'm trying to top it up with my debit card, but no matter what way I input my billing address it declines me and says my billing address doesn't match. I've been through Revolut's support who eventually told me to contact my bank, and I've been in contact with Ulster Bank who confirmed my billing address on file is the same as the one I'm inputting but didn't seem to know how I should input it into the fields for Revolut to recognise it.

Has anyone encountered this problem and managed to fix it? :(

13. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I've just got the card and I'm trying to top it up with my debit card, but no matter what way I input my billing address it declines me and says my billing address doesn't match. I've been through Revolut's support who eventually told me to contact my bank, and I've been in contact with Ulster Bank who confirmed my billing address on file is the same as the one I'm inputting but didn't seem to know how I should input it into the fields for Revolut to recognise it.

Has anyone encountered this problem and managed to fix it? :(

Yes it has been mentioned loads of times that the problem is with ulster bank
        . Search the thread.

14. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Anyone top up with their credit card since Revolut began accepting them a few weeks ago?

I'm wondering if the credit card treats the top up as a cash advance?

15. Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has anyone been able to verify their visa debit card with PTSB within the last few weeks, as I've said earlier in the thread, I had to have my Visa debit card replaced by PTSB in mid-July and when I added new card to my Revolut acc I was able to top up by €1000 but when that transaction hit PTSB the 4 digit code wasn't there. I've spoken to open24 on this a few times and they are able to confirm to me that all my Revolut transactions on my previous card had the 4 digit code attached to the transaction ok, but not this one on the new card for €1000.

I then tried to top up my acc last night by €900 and it was rejected, according to Revolut it was rejected by my bank, so I rang open24 again this morning only to be told by that that Revolut are putting the transaction through as a cash advancement rather that the normal way they would put it through and therefore PTSB have those type of transactions capped as €300, PTSB inform me that I can however put though as many €300 as I like up to €2000 in a day I think he said. I'm wondering now are Revolut putting through my transactions using this method now because my card isn't verified. I've had no answer from Revolut chat on this, but I'm not surprised at that as their chat system is brutal.

16. Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

polaris68 wrote: »
        Anyone top up with their credit card since Revolut began accepting them a few weeks ago?

I'm wondering if the credit card treats the top up as a cash advance?

No cash advance charge treated as payment. I did discuss it revolut this was said but I still haven't done it yet. There is a 1 charge by revolut for using credit card but it is great service to have.

17. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

Lucas Hood wrote: »
        Yes it has been mentioned loads of times that the problem is with ulster bank
        . Search the thread.
        Ok, found a fix for the address in the thread but now it's declining my card when I try to top up. Guess this isn't for me! :rolleyes:

Edit: Nvm, UB texted me asking to confirm the transactions and now it works. Hopefully the last of my trouble with them!

18. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Ok, found a fix for the address in the thread but now it's declining my card when I try to top up. Guess this isn't for me! :rolleyes:

I had afwul hassle with this when I signed up. I finally found someone in Revolut who knew what to do. There was a line on my Revolut address (Region/State) that was missing in my banks address so they didn't match and it was a mandatory field on Revolut. The solution was to use 00000 for the Region/State when registering the card.

HTH.

19. Advertisement
      20. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

stimpson wrote: »
        I had afwul hassle with this when I signed up. I finally found someone in Revolut who knew what to do. There was a line on my Revolut address (Region/State) that was missing in my banks address so they didn't match and it was a mandatory field on Revolut. The solution was to use 00000 for the Region/State when registering the card.

HTH.
        Thanks, I got the fix in this thread by just removing the house number from my address. Left the post code and region fields with a '-'. Stupid that that's what worked!

This discussion has been closed.
      Advertisement