Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 logician

stimpson wrote: »
    I had afwul hassle with this when I signed up. I finally found someone in Revolut who knew what to do. There was a line on my Revolut address (Region/State) that was missing in my banks address so they didn't match and it was a mandatory field on Revolut. The solution was to use 00000 for the Region/State when registering the card.

HTH.
    Thanks a lot! I have been struggling with this for over a week trying to add my KBC card!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I am about to verify my identity inside the Revolut app.

I have read about how this involves a code being sent, via a payment, to your current account. I have also read that there is issues with reading this code with PTSB. My current account is with PTSB.

Is there a workaround to not been able to read the code in the narrative of the receipt of the payment inside PTSB?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

JTMan wrote: »
    I am about to verify my identity inside the Revolut app.

I have read about how this involves a code being sent, via a payment, to your current account. I have also read that there is issues with reading this code with PTSB. My current account is with PTSB.

Is there a workaround to not been able to read the code in the narrative of the receipt of the payment inside PTSB?

Thanks.

You won't need that code to verify your identity, that 4 digit code will be needed to verify your visa debit card with them if that's the card you want to use to update your Revolut account.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to verify their visa debit card with PTSB within the last few weeks, as I've said earlier in the thread, I had to have my Visa debit card replaced by PTSB in mid-July and when I added new card to my Revolut acc I was able to top up by €1000 but when that transaction hit PTSB the 4 digit code wasn't there. I've spoken to open24 on this a few times and they are able to confirm to me that all my Revolut transactions on my previous card had the 4 digit code attached to the transaction ok, but not this one on the new card for €1000.

I then tried to top up my acc last night by €900 and it was rejected, according to Revolut it was rejected by my bank, so I rang open24 again this morning only to be told by that that Revolut are putting the transaction through as a cash advancement rather that the normal way they would put it through and therefore PTSB have those type of transactions capped as €300, PTSB inform me that I can however put though as many €300 as I like up to €2000 in a day I think he said. I'm wondering now are Revolut putting through my transactions using this method now because my card isn't verified. I've had no answer from Revolut chat on this, but I'm not surprised at that as their chat system is brutal.
    Having same problem after verifying card only able to top up 300 max previously 1500 was allowed its the same card and support is aware of this ,did you solve this

mags1962 wrote: »
    Having same problem after verifying card only able to top up 300 max previously 1500 was allowed its the same card and support is aware of this ,did you solve this

Nope, unfortunately not. PTSB tell me it's because they put transactions thru as cash advance and PTSB have a restriction of €300 per this type of transaction. I've still to verify my replacement PTSB debit card either, the 4 digit code was again missing from all 3 €300 top ups that I put through this week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Nope, unfortunately not. PTSB tell me it's because they put transactions thru as cash advance and PTSB have a restriction of €300 per this type of transaction. I've still to verify my replacement PTSB debit card either, the 4 digit code was again missing from all 3 €300 top ups that I put through this week too.

Hi,

??
    FWIW

At 1141 this morning I transferred €500 using an unverified PTSB Debit Visa. When transaction completed I inserted the 4 digit number and verified card. Only slight problem, was getting the app to read the card.

So, does this mean now that I have verified the card Revolut with now treat it as a cash advance and will be limited to 300

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

??
    FWIW

At 1141 this morning I transferred €500 using an unverified PTSB Debit Visa. When transaction completed I inserted the 4 digit number and verified card. Only slight problem, was getting the app to read the card.

So, does this mean now that I have verified the card Revolut with now treat it as a cash advance and will be limited to 300

Well the fact that you were able to transfer €500 in one go, that's a good thing as some of us have only been able to do top-ups of €300 in one go. Also I raised the issue with the 4 digit code missing, with open24 on Tuesday and the guy who I had spoke to about it, he had some knowledge of it as he could recall someone else mentioning it to him in the last week or two. He assured me he would pass it on to tech department and see if they could come up with a solution. Hopefully they have now sorted it. I'm going to try another top up now and see for myself.

Edit: Well, I just topped up by €10 and its showing the same info that the three previous top-ups show, so in my case, I don't think it will appear. That fact that you did your top-up at 11:40 this morning, it's almost certainly still pending on your account, so I've no idea what's different between both our accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭J_R

Well the fact that you were able to transfer €500 in one go, that's a good thing as some of us have only been able to do top-ups of €300 in one go. Also I raised the issue with the 4 digit code missing, with open24 on Tuesday and the guy who I had spoke to about it, he had some knowledge of it as he could recall someone else mentioning it to him in the last week or two. He assured me he would pass it on to tech department and see if they could come up with a solution. Hopefully they have now sorted it. I'm going to try another top up now and see for myself.

Edit: Well, I just topped up by €10 and its showing the same info that the three previous top-ups show, so in my case, I don't think it will appear. That fact that you did your top-up at 11:40 this morning, it's almost certainly still pending on your account, so I've no idea what's different between both our accounts

Hi,

comparing your entry from Revolut in your PTSB pending, with mine,
    yours has revolut.com in 2nd line, mine has 0203 725 7583 (their tel no.)

And of course mine has the 4 digit number on 1st line. Perhaps you could pass it on to the Tech chaps in support ??

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

Has anybody tested loading funds via a credit card yet?

Were there any charges from you bank in relation to a cash advance?

I understand there is a 1% fee from Revolut is that the only charge you experienced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

steokeogh wrote: »
    Has anybody tested loading funds via a credit card yet?

Were there any charges from you bank in relation to a cash advance?

I understand there is a 1% fee from Revolut is that the only charge you experienced?

It'd be cheaper to do a balance transfer direct to revolut in that case?

/or bank transfer to your current account and then transfer to revolut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭steokeogh

jameshayes wrote: »
    It'd be cheaper to do a balance transfer direct to revolut in that case?

/or bank transfer to your current account and then transfer to revolut

True but if you are in a situation where you need cash but don't have it readily available through a debit card this would be a nice way of avoiding a cash advance fee from you bank depending how the transaction is coded.

Also if you are making a large purchase with your CC in a foreign currency it would be more beneficial to top up Revolut with the value and then take advantage of the better rate and no currency transfer fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Yes, but it can take a long time to do so...I had issues getting them to recognise my billing address, and then when I tried to top up UB froze my card and called me to confirm the transaction. But after that was sorted works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Sono

Yes I do it all the time and it is instant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Sono wrote: »
    Yes I do it all the time and it is instant

Same for me, no issues either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Does Revolut work with amazon?

I just joined with no discernable issue and topped up by 100 euro but when I try to buy something in amazon it initially goes through and then the order is cancelled 5 mins later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

I just joined with no discernable issue and topped up by 100 euro but when I try to buy something in amazon it initially goes through and then the order is cancelled 5 mins later.

Yep it works with Amazon.

Does your billing address match your Revolut address 100%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Did you convert your € to £?

Yep it works with Amazon.

Does your billing address match your Revolut address 100%?

I changed the address to an exact match and tried again. They've taken 1 pound but still no budge on the rest of the money, I have contacted them and they've cancelled the order.
    stimpson wrote: »
    Did you convert your € to £?

No! Doh!
    Thank you for pointing that out. I've done it now.

I guess I'll try again!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭msmx5

I changed the address to an exact match and tried again. They've taken 1 pound but still no budge on the rest of the money, I have contacted them and they've cancelled the order.

No! Doh!
    Thank you for pointing that out. I've done it now.

I guess I'll try again!

Amazon often only make an initial charge when the order is placed then a further charge (or charges in the case of multiple products) when the product is shipped/ready to ship.

Converting funds from € <-> £ on your revolut app is irrelevant as revolut will take funds from whichever "purse" you have the funds in. Converting the funds is just a convenience and "locks in" the rate at the time of conversion.

Obviously you SHOULD ensure that Amazon bill you in the original currency, pounds I guess, and that they don't handle the currency conversion for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

msmx5 wrote: »
    Amazon often only make an initial charge when the order is placed then a further charge (or charges in the case of multiple products) when the product is shipped/ready to ship.

Converting funds from € <-> £ on your revolut app is irrelevant as revolut will take funds from whichever "purse" you have the funds in. Converting the funds is just a convenience and "locks in" the rate at the time of conversion.

Obviously you SHOULD ensure that Amazon bill you in the original currency, pounds I guess, and that they don't handle the currency conversion for you.

First time I used my revolut it refused payment until I converted to sterling. I assumed it would only pay out whatever you had in each respective currency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Have never had any problem with Amazon - until today! Made an order for 2 Marketplace items (same basket, same transaction, same address); payment for one was taken fine within 10 minutes and order went through. Payment for the second item was declined 5 minutes later - plenty of credit available.
    Waiting on support now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I had my revolut card recently declined on Amazon for an order, so I topped up the amazon gift card account with the same amount without a problem and used that, worked excellent and nothing to worry that it get's declined later because gift card is instant.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

I had the same payment problem with Amazon. I converted the euros to the required pounds and the payment was through.

After that, once, when I chose the Revoult card, Amazon asked what's the currency of the card for which I chose 'Sterlings Pound' and made sure the card has enough pound converted to. Payment went through without any issues this time.

Later on all the Amazon payments went through and for all these payments I made sure that I had enough pounds converted.

I had my revolut card recently declined on Amazon for an order, so I topped up the amazon gift card account with the same amount without a problem and used that, worked excellent and nothing to worry that it get's declined later because gift card is instant.

Good idea - will try that next time.

Revolut Support got back to me to say that it was a 'temporary miscommunication' with the bank (?) that was now fixed. Must have been the universe looking out for me because, when I tried to restore the item/order via Amazon chat, it turned out that the information on the seller's page was incorrect and I'd have ended up sending it back ;) Found a similar item that was almost half the price!

Every cloud and all that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Amazon works for me only if I choose billing address WITHOUT eire code but I have eire code in Revolut app :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone who's weighed in. This is a really helpful thread! :)

I've tried again and AGAIN with the correct currency and correct address and my payment has been declined everytime.

I haven't got my pound back from amazon yet that they took as security either!

Are all online retailers so difficult?

Can you still use your revolut app to change your billing address to another country if necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

I've tried again and AGAIN with the correct currency and correct address and my payment has been declined everytime.

Can you still use your revolut app to change your billing address to another country if necessary?

I don't know if this will help, but I have several addresses attached to my Amazon account, only one of which is my actual billing address. I suspect it's easier to do things this way rather than muck about with Revolut and your own bank details.

Granted, I think they've taken a few 'pounds' as security over the years with a variety of different cards, but AFAIK you get them back or they fall off or whatever.

I also always use just euro when ordering and let Revolut do the exchange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Have you tried the giftcard route?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement