Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolut - Ultracheap FX (prepaid Mastercard)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks everyone who's weighed in. This is a really helpful thread! :)

I've tried again and AGAIN with the correct currency and correct address and my payment has been declined everytime.

I haven't got my pound back from amazon yet that they took as security either!

Are all online retailers so difficult?

Can you still use your revolut app to change your billing address to another country if necessary?

Do you actually have enough on your card to pay for your purchase?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Can you still use your revolut app to change your billing address to another country if necessary?

If its verified ,no you cant change it via the app,its locked to Ireland.
    You have to contact them in help and they will change it for you but you have to reverify your account ,which is a right mess.

I bought something on Amazon last Friday and mistakenly paid for it with my bank debit card and I got the rate of 0.815306 .
    When I bought off Amazon yesterday using my Revolut ,I got 0.8646 .

Are Visa employing some pre Brexit rates as there is no way there should be 5p of a difference between the Visa Debit and Revolut .
    Ive never seen such differences before,normally its maybe 2-3%

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭A2020

Hi I'm going away and have the revoult card are they safe to use I just want to check in before I put my spending money into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

A2020 wrote: »
    Hi I'm going away and have the revoult card are they safe to use I just want to check in before I put my spending money into it.

Having a 2nd source of money with you is always a good option - just in case a shop doesn't take the card etc but yes they are safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

So my last attempt last night was at 11 and again my order was cancelled and revolut noted that amazon declined my payment in the app.
    I got up this morning and payment had went through at 4am! So got my giftcard.

Would that be typical or is it usually instant?
    Not mad on the idea that I'd think something is cancelled but it would go through anyway though on this occasion I am glad.
    Have you tried the giftcard route?

Thats what I wanted to buy in the first place funnily so all my purchase attempts were for that.
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you actually have enough on your card to pay for your purchase?

Yeah, I had 5 euro left in fact.

Thank you to everyone in the thread who's replied to help btw, really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No, we're all using it because we're thrill seekers and feel more alive using it because of the risk it brings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No, we're all using it because we're thrill seekers and feel more alive using it because of the risk it brings.

If you haven't anything constructive to add, I'd suggest not posting at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Sorry buffybot I'm new posting things I was writing something else and auto text sent filled it in. Sorry.

And I just wanted to check about the card as none of my friends or family used it.

Thank you.

As has been mentioned repeatedly on the thread, "safe" depends on your comfort level with new fintech organisations and level of common sense.

Your account balance will be protected but given they are a new company, it would be advisable not to unnecessarily leave large funds on the account just in case something was to happen to the company.

There are a whole host of security features in the app, like disabling use of the card for e-commerce or preventing ATM withdrawals.

In my opinion, it's "safe". How you feel about it is entirely up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Anyone else have problems linking their Revolut card to their Paypal account? It said something about the card not being accepted. If I try to just use the Revolut card at checkout (without linking), it won't go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Zardoz wrote: »
    If its verified ,no you cant change it via the app,its locked to Ireland.
    You have to contact them in help and they will change it for you but you have to reverify your account ,which is a right mess.

I bought something on Amazon last Friday and mistakenly paid for it with my bank debit card and I got the rate of 0.815306 .
    When I bought off Amazon yesterday using my Revolut ,I got 0.8646 .

Are Visa employing some pre Brexit rates as there is no way there should be 5p of a difference between the Visa Debit and Revolut .
    Ive never seen such differences before,normally its maybe 2-3%

It's likely your bank is charging commission on top of the VISA rate. Plus there was a drop in Sterling - the VISA rate on Friday was 0.8548 and yesterday was 0.8667. Just shows how good Revolut is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

As has been mentioned repeatedly on the thread, "safe" depends on your comfort level with new fintech organisations and level of common sense.

Your account balance will be protected but given they are a new company, it would be advisable not to unnecessarily leave large funds on the account just in case something was to happen to the company.

There are a whole host of security features in the app, like disabling use of the card for e-commerce or preventing ATM withdrawals.

In my opinion, it's "safe". How you feel about it is entirely up to you.

You are right to be concerned, and hould keep an eye on transactions alright!
    I like the facilty a lot but have experienced a few issues with it.

duplicate triplicate transactions for example, but they blamed the merchant...
    The 1st was in May, thought the money was taken but it seems it only went on the 2nd time in Aug! The 3rd time in Aug, was cancelled but it was up to me to contact the merchant to stop trying to take money as somehow my card was linked to the merchant...!!
    Luckily enough i was able to contact the merchant to ask that they desist, but my confidence has been shaken in Revolut.
    Never experienced that before with other cards. If the merchant didnt break the link I would have had to order a new card at my own expense! :confused:
    So keep a good eye on your transactions! Duplicate and triplicate didnt raise an app alert either...i just happened to notice it on the transaction list.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭A2020

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

For a large amazon purchase and will pay in GBP, should I convert euro to GBP beforehand on revolut, or just load euro and let it do its thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Regarding paying for stuff on Amazon.co.uk, my Revolut card worked well for me for the past few weeks (3 separate orders). Paid in £ for all orders. (I just let Revolut sort out currency conversion)

I did have an issue with transferring money recently from PTSB to Revolut. Revolut said to talk to the PTSB card department.

Rang PTSB and they looked into it and discovered that for some reason the transfer was classified as cash transfer and was subjected to the daily cash withdrawal limit (around €300).

However, when queried why did an earlier transfer of over €1,000 went through with no problems, they had another look and found that was classified as a POS. PTSB has now reclassified the transfers to Revolut as POS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    However, when queried why did an earlier transfer of over €1,000 went through with no problems, they had another look and found that was classified as a POS. PTSB has now reclassified the transfers to Revolut as POS.

PTSB can't just reclassify, it's down to what MCC (Merchant Classification Code) is used by Revolut.

In the past it came up as "6012-Financial Institutions – Merchandise and Services" but there are reports in several forums that it's now "6010-Financial Institutions – Manual Cash Disbursements".

This seams to have happened when they started accepting credit cards which also leads to a possible cash advance fee by your credit card provider if you choose to use a credit card, which I pointed out earlier as a possibility.

This has to do with the fees Revolut can get from different kind of transactions and the fees they need to pay their card merchant provider.

Best might be to do it via bank transfer if it's not urgent or to plan accordingly.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I can confirm I have encountered no such capping on recent topups using either EBS or N26 debit cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

The issue with PTSB cards not being able to be verified because the code does not show up in the statement is really annoying i would use this much more if i could verify the card.

Unless you do loads of spontaneous shopping, why don't you use bank transfer to load?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

PTSB can't just reclassify, it's down to what MCC (Merchant Classification Code) is used by Revolut.

In the past it came up as "6012-Financial Institutions – Merchandise and Services" but there are reports in several forums that it's now "6010-Financial Institutions – Manual Cash Disbursements".

This seams to have happened when they started accepting credit cards which also leads to a possible cash advance fee by your credit card provider if you choose to use a credit card, which I pointed out earlier as a possibility.

This has to do with the fees Revolut can get from different kind of transactions and the fees they need to pay their card merchant provider.

Best might be to do it via bank transfer if it's not urgent or to plan accordingly.

That is interesting as i'm off to the states soon and only plan to top up when needed, i was looking at 500 at a time.

Another new feature "auto top up" via debit/credit card if your balance falls below a trigger amount:

http://revolutapp.tumblr.com/post/149329885847/new-feature-weve-added-auto-top-up

But I am not sure if this is valid for non UK residents.

Also it required version 3.0 of the app which does not seam to be published yet in either Apple or Android store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

That is interesting as i'm off to the states soon and only plan to top up when needed, i was looking at 500 at a time.
    Spent 5 months in the U.S. earlier this year. Shop around between ATM's - some charge more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Amouar

The last version of the app is very buggy, can't open it.

The auto top up feature, if it actually works, will be very useful when we're abroad with no internet connection in order to top up on the go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"We're experiencing server related issues with our latest App release. We're fixing the problem now & will update you ASAP."

From Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Cheers for that. Got a fright when my balance went to a minus figure this morning !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

App is very slow today, that might explain it. Travelling Friday hopefully resolved by then. Worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

looks like they did not test this out properly before release.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

The new version also makes it easier to export a statement with a better selection process for the period and also makes an export to Excel (CSV) possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Tony wrote: »
    looks like they did not test this out properly before release.

Yeah I can't top up my account since the update, I can't enter my CVV number anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Top ups are still unavailable. They will send out a notification once it's fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Glad of this thread , few heartstoppers seeing balance as nil!
    cant top up etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement