Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert - Subject advice (Repeat)

• 22-08-2015 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey guys
    I'm thinking of changing my subjects for my repeat year.
    I've decided to drop Chemistry and Irish (got exempt) & pick up Business & Home ec.
    I picked these because I'm a solid theory learner type of person.
    I haven't done Home ec for my senior years, how do I go about with the cooking practicals? And journal work in one year?
    Also, if anyone has any other subject choices that are relatively manageable to study for a year, drop them down below?
    Thanks!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are there cooking practicals for LC? I can't remember my classes doing them. The coursework needs to be in fairly soon after you go back in sixth year so that will be your priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

spurious wrote: »
    Are there cooking practicals for LC? I can't remember my classes doing them. The coursework needs to be in fairly soon after you go back in sixth year so that will be your priority.

I've heard the cooking practicals are completed in fifth year and for sixth year its just writing them up in the journals provided by the teachers.
    Would you think Home ec is a manageable subject to choose as a repeat, keeping in mind I haven't studied it for fifth year either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

I have friends who did Home Ec for the LC and their project/journal was to be handed up pretty early so honestly, I would reconsider picking it up.

Business is a decent subject to do in a year. You dropped Chemistry so I'd assume you're not a Science orientated person? I have heard of people who have done Biology in a year so maybe you can think about that as it's the easier of the lab subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Troxck wrote: »
    I have friends who did Home Ec for the LC and their project/journal was to be handed up pretty early so honestly, I would reconsider picking it up.

Business is a decent subject to do in a year. You dropped Chemistry so I'd assume you're not a Science orientated person? I have heard of people who have done Biology in a year so maybe you can think about that as it's the easier of the lab subjects

Already doing biology :)
    And Home ec is fairly relatable to biology therefore I chose it. I wouldn't mind the pressure to complete the journal early tbh :p But I am rethinking business! I didn't do too well in my JC business ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Home Ec involves preparing certain meals which are written up into a journal, which are worth some marks. You'd normally do them in class, like a science experiment, but instead of being examined on the paper, various aspects such as preparation and texture are written into the journal. If I'm not mistaken, this project work is meant to be monitored by and signed off by a teacher as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 westerngirl323

The economics course is not very long and it could easily be covered in one year. Beware though that the marking scheme is said to be tough and achieving an A1 is difficult. I believe that it is a subject worth thinking about studying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

lc2015x wrote: »
    Hey guys
    I'm thinking of changing my subjects for my repeat year.
    I've decided to drop Chemistry and Irish (got exempt) & pick up Business & Home ec.
    I picked these because I'm a solid theory learner type of person.
    I haven't done Home ec for my senior years, how do I go about with the cooking practicals? And journal work in one year?
    Also, if anyone has any other subject choices that are relatively manageable to study for a year, drop them down below?
    Thanks!!

There is no cooking in leaving cert. the journals are completed in 5th year as they are handed up in early 6th year. I would definitely recommend putting a lot of time and effort in to them to get them completed on time. They are very hard to get As in, but get started as soon as you can.
    Business you should be okay with. It is learning really so just learn as you go. We have a lot of the course done in 5th year and just have one unit this year to complete so I think we will be done by end of September- from then on its just practicing questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

Have a look at Economics. It's a short course and many questions are very similar/predictable each year. If you take up Economics you can almost rely completely in the marking schemes to learn, you needn't know the book word for word at all.

That being said, questions and answers must be worded very specifically to get full marks and it's quite difficult to get an A1 so consider that.

If you do Biology, Home Ec will be like second nature and even if you don't, a lot of it is common sense and the marking schemes are often quite flexible. There is also a section that is very similar to Business so you'll find some crossover between your subjects. Regards cookery, you must cook 5 dishes given requirements/a brief and write 2-3 pages about each dish (why I choose it, was it economical, did it turn out well, colour flavour texture evaluations etc). This is a lot of work and must be finished in October so if you do decide to take up home ec the first few weeks will be hectic. However if you did JC home ec a lot of the theory will be easy for you to learn so you can concentrate almost fully on the Journal (20%) during September.

(If you do decide to take up either of these subjects, I have excellent notes that I used during 5th&6th year and have no use for now so give me a pm and I can send them to you :) )

Advertisement