Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Stories

Options
  • 22-08-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Everyone!

I'm currently planning my 2nd year classes for first term and was wondering if anyone could recommend some short stories to add to my scheme of work?

I want to focus on short stories that have a twist at the end, this is an important aspect.

I have a number of Roald Dahl but if there are any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks for any comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

I enjoyed 'The Lottery' by Shirley Jackson which is available for free online. It has what I'd consider to be a big twist at the end and I enjoyed reading it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Busted scotch by James Kelman. It's online in a few places but I can't check until tomorrow. A lot of his stories are short with a twist.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Comhairleoir

Busted scotch by James Kelman. It's online in a few places but I can't check until tomorrow. A lot of his stories are short with a twist.

...missed the 2nd year reference. Might not too many Kelman stories that would suit. They'd get this one but might not relate to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Always worth a trawl of the old Inter. Cert. classics in 'Exploring English I'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

The Sniper by Liam O'Flaherty (https://www.edco.ie/_fileupload/The%20Sniper%20-%20By%20Liam%20O%20Flaherty.pdf)

My Father's Hands by Calvin R. Worthington (http://www.inclueded.net/writing/creative/14.html#father)

These are two good one's I remember from my Junior Cert :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Like Bazinga_N said, The Sniper by Liam O'Flaherty. It has a big twist at the end!!! I know because it is the short story I studied for Fiction in my Junior Cert which I'll be doing in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler454

Try this

Complex Simplicity

Roy was a simple man who enjoyed the more complicated thigs in life. This gave him much difficulty. He couldn’t have what he enjoyed. Why? He was a simple man.

Reginald was a complicated man who enjoyed the simpler things in life. Again, Reginald experienced much trauma as the simpler things he so dearly longed for could not be his as he was a man of a more complicated composition.

Roy and Reginald met one day in a park.

Roy sat on a park bench, breathing in the scent of the freshly cut grass. A simple mans dream. Roys nightmare.

Reginald was writing a sonnet, on the grass, using only the fallen, red, autumnal leaves to construct the letters for each word of the sonnet, so that if someone climbed the 59 metre tree from which those leaves fell, they would be able to read his Shakespearian masterpiece. Reginald hated every moment of this.

At one point, Roy and Reginald caught eachothers clearly depressed eyes and both wondered: why is that man so depressed?
    ‘I would give my left arm just to be doing what he’s doing right now’, they both thought. Neither acted upon this.

I lied when I said Roy and Reginald met in a park. They merely exchanged glances.

Advertisement