Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy from Car Dealer or Private Sale?

Options
  • 22-08-2015 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,

Looking for some help. My Audi A4 1.9 TDi 2001 has reached the end of her days with me...too much hassle with upkeep so I'm bidding farewell.

As I've been spoiled with her I don't want to trade down. Can anyone tell me the best way about getting a newish car that doesn't cost the earth? Should I buy from a Car Dealer...what's this 0% finance malarkey??? or should I buy from donedeal.ie or carzone.ie?

Engine size is important as is a diesel engine...I do a lot of driving.

Would I be better off getting a 36 month PCP or buying outright? No real interest in owning my car...happy to trade in after a designated period.

Any advice gratefully accepted :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How much per month would you actually spend?
    Would you be happy putting a few grand deposit down now and whenever you trade up in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Without knowing what your budget is then it's hard to recommend which way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hackster79

Budget 15k-20k
    Looking at Audi or BMW.
    Would rather deal with a garage in terms of financing.
    How much would a deposit be for a newish Audi you think?
    Thanks for your help

Put it this way.

€20k over 3 years would cost you approx €620 per month.

A new A4 starts at €37k.

You would do well to look at other brands as the standard of build and equipments isn't that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,221 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If considering brand new then take into account there is a brand new A4 model being launched before the end of the year. You would want to be getting a super deal on the current model to even consider it and even at that they look at bit dated now.

€37k will get you a well speced brand new VW Passat or Skoda Superb, both which are fresh models only launched this year.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Apologies for my late reply but I've been locked out of Boards due to a server issue they were having.

Can someone please explain PCP? I was looking online at some deals that were charging €329 per month over 36 months for an Audi A4 new and used. Is this really true or am I missing some hidden small print?

Very grateful for all your advice,

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

Hackster79 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Apologies for my late reply but I've been locked out of Boards due to a server issue they were having.

Can someone please explain PCP? I was looking online at some deals that were charging €329 per month over 36 months for an Audi A4 new and used. Is this really true or am I missing some hidden small print?

Very grateful for all your advice,

:)

Normally a large deposit required, and after 3 years hand car back, refinance on a new car, or balloon payment to purchase car. So alot more than just the €329 a month.

Ah okay. Thanks for that.
    What are the drawbacks in buying an Audi A3/4 from 2006+. Will motor tax or emissions add to the add on costs?
    Looking at 2005 models on Auto Trader for approx 6K.
    Would I be foolish to go for an old car?
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭duffman3833

I bought a 07 a4 1.9tdi a year and half ago and never had problem with it. If you go down the older car route rather than new, id look for a car with a full service history. if its well maintained it should serve you well. Pre 2008 are on the older tax system so tax is a bit dear but 08 models are way overpriced, that why i stuck with 2007 model and its served me very well

A seat exeo might be a good option for you if you want de chape tax but don't wanna pay Audi money.
    It's basically the 05 type A4 but with the newer common rail 2.0 TDI engines.

• Advertisement

@colm_mcm
    Never even heard of a Seat Exeo so just had a look at it there. It's a gorgeous car.
    What kind of money do you think we'd be talking for a relatively new one?
    Thanks

Am looking at the cars on Auto Trader. So many great deals up north.
    Why is there such a difference in price? If I were to buy up North is the Import Duty huge??

You need to allow for exchange rate and VRT.

Have a look at donedeal for prices. I'd favour the estate type and they do a lovely quilted looking leather interior on some of them.

But the prices are being quoted in euro with sterling price underneath so no exchange rate. How much do you think VRT would be?
    Thanks a mill.

You can do a quick quote on the revenue site. They're all low emissions models and there aren't that many specs so it should be easy to get a quote.

Now just for a reference point. The brother bought an 08 A4 new shape with a bit of spec from an Audi dealer a few weeks back for €12k

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You can do a quick quote on the revenue site. They're all low emissions models and there aren't that many specs so it should be easy to get a quote.

Now just for a reference point. The brother bought an 08 A4 new shape with a bit of spec from an Audi dealer a few weeks back for €12k

Just did a quick check on an Audi A4 2012 and we're talking €4.5K VRT so not really an option.
    What was the name of your brother's Audi dealer???
    Cheers

Check the vrt on exeos.

My point is not to pay too much for an exeo.

Am not allowed post links cos I'm a new user. There's an Audi 2009 A4 2.0 in Louth going for €14,750

Thoughts on this??? Too good to be true? Would I be silly even thinking about buying a car in bandit country??

Am not allowed post links cos I'm a new user. There's an Audi 2009 A4 2.0 in Louth going for €14,750. 115,000 miles

Thoughts on this??? Too good to be true? Would I be silly even thinking about buying a car in bandit country??

Advertisement