Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel around Texas

Options
  • 22-08-2015 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Anyone ever travel alone to another country or is it a bit odd? Would it be weird to just plan out a trip from here, go to U.S. And go around some of the main cities in Texas, rent out a car/ jeep over there or whatever! Something I always thought of, hard to get someone I know that would go to Texas, 10-14days I'd do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seanmul89 wrote: »
    Anyone ever travel alone to another country or is it a bit odd? Would it be weird to just plan out a trip from here, go to U.S. And go around some of the main cities in Texas, rent out a car/ jeep over there or whatever! Something I always thought of, hard to get someone I know that would go to Texas, 10-14days I'd do.

Not odd at all.

Have done solo trips to a variety of places across the world, including many to the U.S and doing similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Seanmul89

Really? You found it ok to do? Did you just go to main parts, sight seeing etc? I'm sure you'd meet other people doing the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

When I was visiting my friend in Houston a few years ago I rented a car & drove to Austin alone for a night or two. It was great and Americans tend to be super friendly. I made plenty of friends out at gigs and bars. I know it was only a couple of days, but can't see why it wouldn't be fun to do for a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Really? You found it ok to do? Did you just go to main parts, sight seeing etc? I'm sure you'd meet other people doing the same!

I've been to various parts of the US: from big cities to small towns. No one can predict what'll happen to you: but I've had wild nights out, made firm friends in the most random circumstances, had nights in-front of hotel room TV's and lots in between.

There point is, there is nothing odd about travelling alone. Go forth and adventure, you might just do exactly what you outlined (drive around, see things you want to see etc) or random sh*t might occur which might make it even better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why wouldn't it be ok for you to do it? If you want to do it, just do it. Is there something in particular about traveling alone, or traveling in Texas that concerns you? Texans are just as friendly and outgoing as everyone else in the US & if you are hitting up most of the main tourist hot spots, you are bound to meet a lot of fellow travelers.

I can think of far more interesting states in the US to travel to. Texas is no where near as interesting or glamorous as it seems in movies, but if you have a yen to go there, then go. If you are traveling alone & you are driving, just be mindful of the distances between cities & pace your self accordingly. The place is effing huge. If it were me & I had 2 weeks for the trip, I'd try to take in some more of the southwest...Arizona, New Mexico, maybe wind up the trip in Las Vegas and fly home from there. But if Texas is what floats your boat, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Traveling alone is fine.

I think two weeks in texas is too long. And I think a bit of a waste of two weeks with a car in the western USA.

There's so much more to see, you have time to get to vegas, the grand canyon, the pacific ocean...

Thanks for the reply guys! No I don't have a problem alone or with Americans just looking for other opinions and people with experience doing it as I don't know anyone personally that has done a solo travel.

No probably wouldn't do 2 weeks in Texas, I'll be staying 2 days maybe in New York, as I'll be flying there 1st then a domestic flight to Dallas maybe. I'd also like to see some more central states, tornado chase maybe lol (joke) but I'm sure I would see some supercell storms etc.

Vegas would be cool also, and yes there is so much, maybe I'll only do 10 days max and then do a trip next summer for a bit longer and do more states, road trips and so on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I've done a similar solo road trip in these not so touristy areas. I landed and rented a car in Detroit, then went to Lansing, Michigan City, Chicago, Indianapolis, Louisville, St. Louis, and finally Kansas City, taking a plane back to Detroit and then to Europe. I had three weeks available.

I enjoyed every minute of it, if you feel you like Texas just go and see for yourself. The States I've been should be pretty similar (rural), if you've never seen anything like it, it's still pretty interesting. It's easy to simply rent a car, drive wherever you want and get a (huge and cheap) room for the night the same day you arrive in a town.

Amazingly I've never met rude or unfriendly people, I'm not even a native English speaker and people thought I was American while casually chatting with me doing gas or simply walking down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Thanks for the reply guys! No I don't have a problem alone or with Americans just looking for other opinions and people with experience doing it as I don't know anyone personally that has done a solo travel.

No probably wouldn't do 2 weeks in Texas, I'll be staying 2 days maybe in New York, as I'll be flying there 1st then a domestic flight to Dallas maybe. I'd also like to see some more central states, tornado chase maybe lol (joke) but I'm sure I would see some supercell storms etc.

There are travel companies out there that cater to storm chasers. They shouldn't be hard to find on Google. They travel with meteorologists on the payroll, who have fancy computers that can predict where & when the super cell storms are going to hit. So they can probably do a better job of getting you up up close and personal with tornadoes, than if you set off by yourself, armed with only a map and a weather radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I used to go to Texas a bit with work on my own.

Oh god it's the most horrid place in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

It's not in the slightest bit weird. People travel by themselves all the time. I spent 3 months travelling across the US by myself and I had the time of my life. I daydream at work about those few months. I'd love to do it again. Go for it if it's something you want to do.

Vegas would be cool also, and yes there is so much, maybe I'll only do 10 days max and then do a trip next summer for a bit longer and do more states, road trips and so on :)

Here's an idea, Fly to Austin, Which is supposedly the nicest city in Texas, spend a few days, then drive to San Antonio, see the Alamo, then go east to Houston, and on to New Orleans in Louisiana. One of the most popular and vibrant cities in the USA.

You could do it in two weeks easily. And it would give you experience of another state. You can drive through the Louisiana Bayou, see the plantation houses, and then go party in New Orleans.

The only issue is dropping off a rental car in another state to where you rented it. There can be a charge.

Or... how about into El Paso, Texas, then up through New Mexico, and Arizona, past the grand canyon and on to Last Vegas.

Four states, you'd see a load of cool stuff. It would be much more desert than the New Orleans route though.

Advertisement