Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union Wood- 2 dog attacks in a week

Options
  • 22-08-2015 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I've heard 2 separate reports of dog attacks in union wood this week. In 1 a dog was mauled by 2 dogs off the leash and with no sign of an owner.
    In the other the dog was killed, I didn't get the full story on that one yet so I don't know if it was a just coincidence or the same dogs.
    I figuered it's good to let people know for the safety of their pets and also themselves as I understand the 2 dogs in the 1st attack were definitely large enough to be a threat to people and joggers, kids and bikes are definitely the kind of things that can set off an unstable dog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I've heard 2 separate reports of dog attacks in union wood this week. In 1 a dog was mauled by 2 dogs off the leash and with no sign of an owner.
    In the other the dog was killed, I didn't get the full story on that one yet so I don't know if it was a just coincidence or the same dogs.
    I figuered it's good to let people know for the safety of their pets and also themselves as I understand the 2 dogs in the 1st attack were definitely large enough to be a threat to people and joggers, kids and bikes are definitely the kind of things that can set off an unstable dog

Jaysus that's awful! I normally go to that wood every so often with my dog. He's an eejit with other dogs so we normally put him on the lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Didn't hear anything about this at all and would be in there a good bit. There were two strays wandering around Collooney the last week or two though. Where did you hear the reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

rizzodun wrote: »
    Didn't hear anything about this at all and would be in there a good bit. There were two strays wandering around Collooney the last week or two though. Where did you hear the reports?

I heard it from an in law who lives within sight of union wood and knows the owner of the dog in the 1st attack. The 2nd report was from someone local that works with dogs too

I heard it from an in law who lives within sight of union wood and knows the owner of the dog in the 1st attack. The 2nd report was from someone local that works with dogs too

Right, I'm surprised something like a dog being killed hadn't been more widely reported. I was in for a few hours yesterday and didn't see anything, but I would be concerned about younger kids and also there is people who bring horses in there. Do they think the dogs are strays or perhaps being brought into the wood? Any description of the dogs?

Right, I'm surprised something like a dog being killed hadn't been more widely reported. I was in for a few hours yesterday and didn't see anything, but I would be concerned about younger kids and also there is people who bring horses in there. Do they think the dogs are strays or perhaps being brought into the wood? Any description of the dogs?

Because I was told this secondhand I don't want to throw anyone under the bus when I wasn't there personally. I was told the particular breed for the non fatal attack but that would point to one particular owner and that wouldn't be fair without there being proof.
    Plenty of incidents worse than this are kept quiet all the time, the only reason I started a thread is so that people can take measures to keep safe

• Advertisement

Because I was told this secondhand I don't want to throw anyone under the bus when I wasn't there personally. I was told the particular breed for the non fatal attack but that would point to one particular owner and that wouldn't be fair without there being proof.
    Plenty of incidents worse than this are kept quiet all the time, the only reason I started a thread is so that people can take measures to keep safe

Not sure I get you, are you saying the dog owner could be local or that particular types of people own these types of dogs? Not sure what can be done really, there's loads of dogs walked in Union wood daily, so unless people be weary of anyone that has a large enough dog. Maybe report it to the dog warden might be the better option given the lack of information posted here.

Not sure I get you, are you saying the dog owner could be local or that particular types of people own these types of dogs? Not sure what can be done really, there's loads of dogs walked in Union wood daily, so unless people be weary of anyone that has a large enough dog. Maybe report it to the dog warden might be the better option given the lack of information posted here.

I'm saying repeating the description of the dogs that I was given wouldn't be fair as it points towards a particular dog owner that that goes there and that wouldn't be fair, innocent until proven guilty and all that.
    I guess I was hoping that someone else might have been able to shed more light on it. I'd love to hear the story is a huge exaggeration but until then if anyone sees a dog walker with a big lump of a stick you'll know it's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I really can't see the point of this thread if the OP is not prepared to give a description of these dogs. It would be kinda nice to know what we need to look out for. I also don't see how giving a description of the breed involved, would somehow identify a particular owner. Unless that owner has a very unique breed of dog, like a unicorn dog for example.

I really can't see the point of this thread if the OP is not prepared to give a description of these dogs. It would be kinda nice to know what we need to look out for. I also don't see how giving a description of the breed involved, would somehow identify a particular owner. Unless that owner has a very unique breed of dog, like a unicorn dog for example.

The point is
    1. Letting people know about a possible safety issue.
    2. Seeing anyone else can weigh in with something more concrete.

How often do you see a person with 2 dogs of the same breed? Not all that often so if I said it's X breed then some innocent guy could be getting blamed.
    What you need to be on the lookout for is 2 dogs of the same breed loose chewing on your dog.

People can take heed or not I'm past caring now.
    Best go back to the threads complaining about the state of the council/cinema/ local economy

The point is
    1. Letting people know about a possible safety issue.
    2. Seeing anyone else can weigh in with something more concrete.

How often do you see a person with 2 dogs of the same breed? Not all that often so if I said it's X breed then some innocent guy could be getting blamed.
    What you need to be on the lookout for is 2 dogs of the same breed loose chewing on your dog.

People can take heed or not I'm past caring now.
    Best go back to the threads complaining about the state of the council/cinema/ local economy

Look, I understand you don't want to point fingers but in my opinion the posts above are kind of like warning people that there's people randomly attacking people in your area but no idea what they look like very hard to know who you should be weary of.

It's all good and well saying you'll be carrying a big lump of a stick too, you're the only one here who actually knows what the dogs look like, you haven't even mentioned if the dogs were in the presence of their owner at the time of the second attack, or if you think/know if the dogs are owned. If you think it's serious enough contact the dog warden and get them to follow up about potentially dangerous dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The point is
    Letting people know about a possible safety issue.

And since there are lots of dogs in Union Wood, it would be sensible to let people know what breeds to keep a look out for.
    How often do you see a person with 2 dogs of the same breed?

Meeting dogs of the same breed isn't unusual. I met a girl in Union wood last Monday week. She had two Labradors running around off the lead. If anyone met me, I would be the guy with the big German Shepherds (the same breed). But unlike a lot of dog owners, my dogs are always on a lead in public areas, regardless of the fact that they are very well behaved off it.
    If I said it's X breed then some innocent guy could be getting blamed.
    Not really, it would just mean a person could be more vigilant and cautious if they see dogs matching a description you could give. Now I do appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention, but I find the lack of dogs description makes it all a bit pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks for the heads up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

Good thread op...

whilst cycling around union wood a while (in the center part on that big downhill bit before the gate to colloney) i slowed up goin past a old man and a black leashed dog....and that dog jumped up and bit my ankle as i went past....hurt too.

The reason im mentioning this is ,is that weeks later whilst walking with my woman and our tiny jack russell ...the same guy and same dog attacked our jack russell .....

ive seen this guy numerous times aswell

a highly agressive dog...wonder if its the same one .never seen any sort of dog related trouble other than that dog...and ive been round union a million times

Advertisement