Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any landlords at all taking RAS anymore

• 22-08-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

My son & his partner are respectable Irish couple in their mid 30s with two children aged 8 & 3 looking for house to rent on RAS scheme in Dublin 24 or surrounding areas. They have registered with every estate agent in South Dublin and advertised everywhere they can and dropped letters into hundreds of properties asking them to consider renting to them and not even had one response or offer. They have contacted every property that is suitable on Daft, My home, Property.ie and many other rental sites going and there doesn't seem to be any landlords doing the RAS scheme anymore. Are they missing something. Is there anyone out there at all doing RAS.They have 2 weeks left and they will have no where to go. They are going to be homeless. I cant believe this is happening to my grandchildren.They are a quiet couple non drinkers or smokers. Both from the area the children are in school in Knocklyon. Their landlord has to move back in to the current rental where they have lived for the past 5 years and he will give them an excellent reference . They are happy to take a place in need of redecoration etc. and furnished or un furnished . Does anyone know if there is a list of RAS landlords anywhere or know of a house on the scheme coming up for rent in South Dublin.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Charisma wrote: »
    My son & his partner are respectable Irish couple in their mid 30s with two children aged 8 & 3 looking for house to rent on RAS scheme in Dublin 24 or surrounding areas. They have registered with every estate agent in South Dublin and advertised everywhere they can and dropped letters into hundreds of properties asking them to consider renting to them and not even had one response or offer. They have contacted every property that is suitable on Daft, My home, Property.ie and many other rental sites going and there doesn't seem to be any landlords doing the RAS scheme anymore. Are they missing something. Is there anyone out there at all doing RAS.They have 2 weeks left and they will have no where to go. They are going to be homeless. I cant believe this is happening to my grandchildren.They are a quiet couple non drinkers or smokers. Both from the area the children are in school in Knocklyon. Their landlord has to move back in to the current rental where they have lived for the past 5 years and he will give them an excellent reference . They are happy to take a place in need of redecoration etc. and furnished or un furnished . Does anyone know if there is a list of RAS landlords anywhere or know of a house on the scheme coming up for rent in South Dublin.

Unfortunately a landlord can get more money on the open market.As far as I know the council look for 10% below market value in rent . If a landlord signs up for RAS . He may have to get a number of jobs to satisfy the council also the landlord could be waiting a few months for the money to start coming from the council. Also the banks are not keen on landlord s letting out for RAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There's no such list of Landlords available from SDCC, OP.
    Finding a LL willing to take on the RAS scheme is like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    There are too many negatives associated with the scheme; nothing against your son and his partner.
    Unfortunately, all they can do is keep looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

castle2012 wrote: »
    Unfortunately a landlord can get more money on the open market.As far as I know the council look for 10% below market value in rent . If a landlord signs up for RAS . He may have to get a number of jobs to satisfy the council also the landlord could be waiting a few months for the money to start coming from the council. Also the banks are not keen on landlord s letting out for RAS

Why aren't the banks keen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

maggiepip wrote: »
    Why aren't the banks keen?[/

With ras you need written permission from the bank to let long term . The council request this. I enquired a couple of years ago . I was told by my bank no problem to let out but I could not enter a long term lease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭argentum

Have they tried the notice boards in the local supermarkets like supervalue in case there's something there that's available

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have never had an issue giving tenants a long term lease but no way would I get involved with the RAS scheme.
    There was no benefit to me and the risk was high.

If they are looking in an area where rental demand is low I can understand how it might benefit a landlord but in other areas I don't know why a landlord would sign up to it.

They might have to look outside Dublin or hopefully they find jobs soon/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OP unfortunately if they are dependent on RAS they will need to look outside Dublin and possibly some distance away. The reality is landlords aren't willing to go on the RAS scheme in Dublin for all the reasons listed above. There is no incentive for them to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Charisma wrote: »

I have a friend who works in SDCC in the housing section and she said the other night to me that LL reluctant to take the RAS because the payment does not go direct to them and also the tenant has to make up the difference which sometimes they dont but there is hope as there is a new scheme called HAP which she said many dont know about it can give you up to 1170 per month to rent somewhere and it gets paid direct to the LL so she said alot more LL are willing to take this over the RAS now if you apply for this you come off the RAS scheme and go on this but she said its worth so tell your son to inquire about this.

Ex a lady was in with her last week who was receiving 580 towards her rent on the RAS scheme I dont know the details of why she was only receiving that amount maybe its because she was on her own but she had to make up the difference for renting her apartment so now on the HAP scheme she can get up to 1170.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

anyone with a property in Dublin let alone south dublin would be insane to take RAS when they can get well over the limits as a private rental , and the way the market is you don't have to go far looking for tenants.

OP might i suggest rathcoole, saggart area as a possibility for dublin or go further out to kilcock / naas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

People having trouble finding willing LL's to take RAS/HAP will have to think about moving elsewhere.

We all want to live in our chosen areas but at the end of the day, having a roof over your head is surely more important?

In this day and age, people aren't stuck in the sticks anymore, with a variety of public transport options and of course, cars, available.

Some people are becoming ridiculously picky about where they live when actually, they've little choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Pac2015

Some people are saying here LL can get more money on the market outside of RAS / HAP which is very true but if someone comes with a great reference and are decent people I would always take that anyday over people who can pay me more and wreck the place.
    I have a tenant in my apartment now at the moment she pays me about 350 less then what I could get as that is the same rent she had been paying me since Feb 2013 I could put it up but I know that is her limit and she is brilliant I could not ask for a better person to be in there.
    Also the more money / rent you get the more tax you pay to the revenue when you file them.

I was advised earlier this year to put my tenants rent up by 250-300 or get someone new and I said no, she is a great tenant pays on time, no hassle and my mortgage is paid each month so everything is covered.
    The systme in Ireland for housing is terrible.

Pac2015 wrote: »
    I have a friend who works in SDCC in the housing section and she said the other night to me that LL reluctant to take the RAS because the payment does not go direct to them and also the tenant has to make up the difference which sometimes they dont but there is hope as there is a new scheme called HAP which she said many dont know about it can give you up to 1170 per month to rent somewhere and it gets paid direct to the LL so she said alot more LL are willing to take this over the RAS now if you apply for this you come off the RAS scheme and go on this but she said its worth so tell your son to inquire about this.

Ex a lady was in with her last week who was receiving 580 towards her rent on the RAS scheme I dont know the details of why she was only receiving that amount maybe its because she was on her own but she had to make up the difference for renting her apartment so now on the HAP scheme she can get up to 1170.

The landlord is paid directly by the council under RAS, 10% less than going market rate, I think youre thinking of plain rent allowance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 311 ✭✭Silverbling

Where do you find landlords that prefer long term reliable tenants who will look after the house?

I was renting for 6 years and as far as I was concerned I had 2 years left on my lease. I started a business a couple of years ago and all my savings are in it.

I have excellent references but because I need to be in Dundrum/Sandyford area I have found nothing for €1400 which is my budget.

Myself and my children are sleeping on mattresses in 1 room in my friends converted garage to prevent us being homeless but it is only short term and the storage costs for my furniture are not cheap

There is a certain irony to it, the council have found my business online and asked me to be part of a focus group as my books have been assessed and I will be employing not only myself but others in 2 years time and they think ecommerce will be a key part of the future

So a self employed tax paying homeless person! only in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Where do you find landlords that prefer long term reliable tenants who will look after the house?

I was renting for 6 years and as far as I was concerned I had 2 years left on my lease. I started a business a couple of years ago and all my savings are in it.

I have excellent references but because I need to be in Dundrum/Sandyford area I have found nothing for €1400 which is my budget.

Myself and my children are sleeping on mattresses in 1 room in my friends converted garage to prevent us being homeless but it is only short term and the storage costs for my furniture are not cheap

There is a certain irony to it, the council have found my business online and asked me to be part of a focus group as my books have been assessed and I will be employing not only myself but others in 2 years time and they think ecommerce will be a key part of the future

To be fair, you may only be "homeless" because you want to live in a certain area. If you looked for a home outside the m50 you would probably find a house for €1400 a month.

For years we were giving out about developers building thousands of houses which couldn't be sold, now we are crying out because rents are going up as a result of under supply.

those places have great transport links, consider wicklow or if you drive even out at the blessington direction and you'll find something. You don't need to be <2km from your office etc.. thats what transport is for.

davo10 wrote: »
    To be fair, you may only be "homeless" because you want to live in a certain area. If you looked for a home outside the m50 you would probably find a house for €1400 a month.

For years we were giving out about developers building thousands of houses which couldn't be sold, now we are crying out because rents are going up as a result of under supply.

I have to live in this area because my son has a chronic lung problem, I checked out moving down the country but no school places and difficulties with his treatment

€1400 is including the €975 rent allowance they they have now given me but no one will accept, I have paid taxes for 30 years and like your son am finding it very unfair, we are decent people

My husband commutes a long journey to work every day because we had to buy a house within our means, i.e. outside Dublin.

I have to live in this area because my son has a chronic lung problem, I checked out moving down the country but no school places and difficulties with his treatment

€1400 is including the €975 rent allowance they they have now given me but no one will accept, I have paid taxes for 30 years and like your son am finding it very unfair, we are decent people

I think a house outside Dublin might be better for your son than a garage. I know living in a certain place would suit better but for your famaily/son's sake, living in a nice house outside Dublin would be better. What medical condition would require you to live only in Dundrum/Sandyford? Cutting your clothe according to your means often mean having to accept the inconvenience of having to commute.

If there was a solution to my problems by moving down the country I would take it but also why should we?

I was paying 4 figures a month in taxes, we have lived here for years, my kids should not have to move school because the government have lost the run of themselves

We should be like the rest of Europe, a 4 year lease is just that, if a landlord is unsure of the future then they should do yearly leases

Renting was supposed to be the safe option, if I could have seen into the future in the early 90's I would have bought a big house in Dundrum with a dodgy mortgage, it would have been paid off now, at the time £50,000 for a house was huge money, they gave away a house in the gallops on a radio competition, I should have entered it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

athtrasna wrote: »
    OP unfortunately if they are dependent on RAS they will need to look outside Dublin and possibly some distance away. The reality is landlords aren't willing to go on the RAS scheme in Dublin for all the reasons listed above. There is no incentive for them to do so.

Why are people so reluctant to take ras tenants? I heard its changed to another scheme, seems like its only the name that's changed. Other than the availability of other tenants? Is there a dislike or inconvenience of dealing with the council, I think that's more the reason and that the council can pull the rent if they consider there is a problem meantime the tenant has a place to live.
    Pac2015 wrote: »

Hap is another name for ras, same difference.

• Advertisement

If there was a solution to my problems by moving down the country I would take it but also why should we?

I was paying 4 figures a month in taxes, we have lived here for years, my kids should not have to move school because the government have lost the run of themselves

We should be like the rest of Europe, a 4 year lease is just that, if a landlord is unsure of the future then they should do yearly leases

Renting was supposed to be the safe option, if I could have seen into the future in the early 90's I would have bought a big house in Dundrum with a dodgy mortgage, it would have been paid off now, at the time £50,000 for a house was huge money, they gave away a house in the gallops on a radio competition, I should have entered it :)

You pay tax on your income just like everybody else, I'm not trying to pick on you but paying your taxes does not entitle you to live where it is most convenient to you. If that area is too expensive or there are no properties available, then you have to look somewhere else, society does not owe you a home in a nice convenient suburb of Dublin.

davo10 wrote: »
    You pay tax on your income just like everybody else, I'm not trying to pick on you but paying your taxes does not entitle you to live where it is most convenient to you. If that area is too expensive or there are no properties available, then you have to look somewhere else, society does not owe you a home in a nice convenient suburb of Dublin.

I agree with you but that means that only 2 income families with a disposable income of 4k a month or more are suitable to live in certain areas of Dublin

And yes I do think paying high taxes for 30 years entitles me to something when I hit a rough patch, otherwise why does anyone contribute to the welfare system?

It is 2015 no families should be made homeless because we bailed out the banks and in return the government are doing nothing to cap living costs except introducing higher taxes

I agree with you but that means that only 2 income families with a disposable income of 4k a month or more are suitable to live in certain areas of Dublin

And yes I do think paying high taxes for 30 years entitles me to something when I hit a rough patch, otherwise why does anyone contribute to the welfare system?

It is 2015 no families should be made homeless because we bailed out the banks and in return the government are doing nothing to cap living costs except introducing higher taxes

Youre not being made homeless, you just can't afford to live exactly where you want. Lots of us cant afford to live exactly where we want.

Your argument has merit up to a point, paying your taxes does entitle you to something if you hit a rough patch and €975 in rent allowance a month is no small amount of "something". A lot of people in your situation are moving out of Dublin because that is what they have to do.

In an ideal world your kids shouldn't have to move school, but you can't afford to be there anymore.

this business of blaming the government for everything has to stop. the recession was a worldwide event and everyone had their part in it, you cannot expect to live in one of the top 5 most desirable suburbs in the whole country on a government assistance scheme.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Youre not being made homeless, you just can't afford to live exactly where you want. Lots of us cant afford to live exactly where we want.

I can't find a landlord anywhere who will take rent allowance, I would move and buy a portable nebuliser, I have spent 5 months looking and am now digging my heels in

I have contacted developers, auctioneers, councillor's, TD's, advertised on sites, asked on social media, contacted everyone I know and can not find anywhere to live, in 4 weeks time I will be on the streets with my kids

None of us should be in this situation but if am going to be homeless it will be in an area that my support network is in not somewhere I know nobody

Yes, basically , only millionaires are suitable to live on ailsbury road, theres no homeless shelter on howth head , nobody puts a council block in beverley hills. There are certain areas and a certain standard of housing that will never be available to those in below the high tax bracket incomes. Its the very nature of the world, people who can afford to will always pay over the odds to live as far away from poor people as possible.
    I ask myself that same question every day, its supposed to feed and cloth starving and homeless families who can't afford to live or eat anywhere but it just seems to buy alcohol and cigarettes.
    this is just pure nonsense

I can't find a landlord anywhere who will take rent allowance, I would move and buy a portable nebuliser, I have spent 5 months looking and am now digging my heels in

I have contacted developers, auctioneers, councillor's, TD's, advertised on sites, asked on social media, contacted everyone I know and can not find anywhere to live, in 4 weeks time I will be on the streets with my kids

None of us should be in this situation but if am going to be homeless it will be in an area that my support network is in not somewhere I know nobody

€975 is just under €12k per year, the equivalent of the tax paid by someone earning approximately €45k so I wouldn't crib too much. You can buy a nebuliser for a couple of hundred euro, asthma is not a contraindication to moving away from Dundrum/Sandyford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I don't know anyone in my circle of friends who are living in the area they would have liked to live. They are almost all working but even those earning good money still had to cut their cloth to suit their budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you go homeless they'll stick you in a B&B or a hotel. There are very few of either in the area you want, and any that are there won't take people from the council as they are busy, to so you'll end in a dump with no facilities at all for your sick child and still know nobody instead of moving a couple of km and getting a house. But don't worry you can make a point and get to
    "talk to Joe" while your child suffers.

Advertisement