Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any landlords at all taking RAS anymore

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lux23 wrote: »
    Has you emailed to check and see if they would take a RAS tenant?

I've not but it doesnt mention not taking RAS in the description, and there are a few families here which Im confident are on RAS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

syklops wrote: »
    Off topic but have you looked at this one? http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/cabinteely/the-oval-tullyvale-cabinteely-dublin-1582748/

Thats in my estate(in fct it might even be in my building. Looks slightly larger than my place and is 100 euro cheaper than what Im paying. Right next to the luas and is 15-20 minutes to Sandyford, or less than 10 minutes by car.

Edit: Just noticed that one above is a 1-bed. Here is a 2-bed for 1300 in the same place: http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartments-for-rent/cabinteely/tullyvale-cabinteely-dublin-1582462/

It's over the rent allowance limit of €975. Unless the OP has specific permission they cannot spend the €1,400 mentioned previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Stop with the 'can't pay over the rent allowence' nonsense. Yes it's technically true but it's not enforced and really a case of "everybody does it" enough to make the rule meaningless.

Stop with the 'can't pay over the rent allowence' nonsense. Yes it's technically true but it's not enforced and really a case of "everybody does it" enough to make the rule meaningless.

The landlord would have to fraudulently issue a lease stating the rent as €975. A 30 second investigation by welfare would see the rent allowance cut and the landlord in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

athtrasna wrote: »
    The landlord would have to fraudulently issue a lease stating the rent as €975. A 30 second investigation by welfare would see the rent allowance cut and the landlord in trouble.

I think you are being a bit naive, whatever hope tenants on RAS have of rent homes, they probably have none if they do not pay the going market rate. Welfare know this and it is in their best interest to ignore it unless they want thousands of extra RAS recipients phoning them saying they can't find a landlord willing to accept the exact RAS amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pac2015 wrote: »
    This is an issue for many councils however the problem here is that many people like this are willing to trade down if you like to make way for families with 2 & 3 kids but they are being offered 1 bed flats or 2 beds in really bad areas that has anti social problems and are I think what many people term as " kips " and are not willing to move to somewhere that they will be unhappy living.
    I can understand this myself as I would not want to move to somewhere that I am going to feel unsafe and unhappy.

These "kips" as you call them are as a result of how a lot of welfare tenants treat their areas, your never going to look after something you got for free, i would challenge anyone in this thread to find me a private estate in this country where the nearest council estate is in a better state of repair or has less antisocial problems. Expecting to live somewhere nice suckling at the governments teat is just lunacy in my book, id still rather live in a "kip" than be homeless especially if that also meant depriving a child of a home.

And before anyone starts , I am not saying everyone on RA is bad or every council estate is a nightmare but lets face facts here, given the option every single person here would rather not live in one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Wow! I really can't believe the general tone of people on this thread - I'm also very thankful I decided to relocate rural many years ago before the Celtic Tiger and it's after affects turned people's heads and sense of values.

I feel for this lady and anyone else who is caught on the hamster wheel of renting in our bigger cities (whether renting privately or trying to secure rent through SW) And though I decided to move to a place with no public transport, miles from shopping districts, no street lighting, no bin collection etc. I still feel people should not be forced into moving away from their social structure if they don't want to.

I also feel LL's are taking full advantage of a mess of a system and we are following a very destructive civil path.

In the absence of any real moves by the current government to build affordable housing or to tackle the increased rent - all anyone can do when caught in the situation this person finds themselves in, is either add to the homeless situation or move out to a cheaper area -

But pressure really needs to be put on this government and the next one to sort out our housing crisis - so that all can afford to grow up in a community they can be proud of - regardless of how much they earn. Also when I was a child I lived in a two up two down - there were 6 of us - people don't need a room for each child - bunk beds and duffle coat covers never did us any harm ;)

But people never looked down on you, at least if they did, you hardly ever noticed - I still feel there are many of us only a missed payday away from falling on hard times a bit of sympathy doesn't cost anything though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mayway wrote: »
    There's a total lack of empathy going on here. The schools are back in a few days and most people are saying that the OP should just move far away from where she is now because that is all she can afford.
    Don't see why the OP's kids can't just live with the OP?

Because it seems the OP's kids are using their kids as emotional blackmail of some sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Pretzill wrote: »
    Wow! I really can't believe the general tone of people on this thread - I'm also very thankful I decided to relocate rural many years ago before the Celtic Tiger and it's after affects turned people's heads and sense of values.

I feel for this lady and anyone else who is caught on the hamster wheel of renting in our bigger cities (whether renting privately or trying to secure rent through SW) And though I decided to move to a place with no public transport, miles from shopping districts, no street lighting, no bin collection etc. I still feel people should not be forced into moving away from their social structure if they don't want to.

I also feel LL's are taking full advantage of a mess of a system and we are following a very destructive civil path.

How so? If the evidence points to anything it's a complete refusal of LL's to engage with the RAS system.
    In the absence of any real moves by the current government to build affordable housing or to tackle the increased rent - all anyone can do when caught in the situation this person finds themselves in, is either add to the homeless situation or move out to a cheaper area -

But pressure really needs to be put on this government and the next one to sort out our housing crisis - so that all can afford to grow up in a community they can be proud of - regardless of how much they earn. Also when I was a child I lived in a two up two down - there were 6 of us - people don't need a room for each child - bunk beds and duffle coat covers never did us any harm ;)

Central government have absolutely no interest in resolving the issue. In most cases 53% of the rent (less than that to be fair with allowances but still a high proportion) of rent goes straight back into the exchequer. It's the only way this stupid RAS system can keep going. Abdicating the responsibility for social housing onto private landlords is not the answer.
    But people never looked down on you, at least if they did, you hardly ever noticed - I still feel there are many of us only a missed payday away from falling on hard times a bit of sympathy doesn't cost anything though.

Agreed, but sympathy is running out. I'm sorry to be harsh and I do not direct this at the OP but many of us saved, delayed or didn't have families and made sure we were as secure as we could be. Many people seem to think it's a God given right to start a family (or three) and then the state pick up the pieces. I'm all for supporting people that are struggling but generation after generation of people tying up social housing in Dublin has to stop. My sympathy does, in fact, lie with people like the OP, my vitriol, for want of a better word, lies with second and third generation scroungers who know the system too well and tie up social housing so people like the OP are stuck.

Private landlords are just that, private not charities.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You're saying the same thing yourself that you are condemning other people on the thread about.

The rental market in Dublin is BRUTAL at the moment, I was potentially looking to move, and my OH rang a friend who is an estate agent, who in an area of 90,000 people in North Co. Dublin, had two rental properties on his books, he literally cannot keep up with demand.

That means rents go up, and the lower paid/those on social welfare are priced out of the market.

There are currently something like 1,000 families with children being housed in emergency accomodation in Dublin, such as hostels or hotels.

The government cannot magic up 1000 homes, it will take them time to do so.
    the_syco wrote: »
    Don't see why the OP's kids can't just live with the OP?

Because it seems the OP's kids are using their kids as emotional blackmail of some sort.

Yeah there are two different families here, one the daughter of the OP and then the person with two kids, one of whom is ill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Incidentally 8 flats in Kilbarrack, just opposite the shops, between two schools boarded up empty.

WTH is going on Dublin CC?

EDIT: on a piece of land that could accommodate about 50 homes, but I'll settle for a paint job and the current ones being used.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Incidentally 8 flats in Kilbarrack, just opposite the shops, between two schools boarded up empty.

WTH is going on Dublin CC?

That's the thing that gets me too, I was listening to one of the homeless charities on the radio a few weeks ago, and they claimed it takes councils up to nine months to "recycle" a vacant property to let!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

Some people are saying here LL can get more money on the market outside of RAS / HAP which is very true but if someone comes with a great reference and are decent people I would always take that anyday over people who can pay me more and wreck the place.
    I have a tenant in my apartment now at the moment she pays me about 350 less then what I could get as that is the same rent she had been paying me since Feb 2013 I could put it up but I know that is her limit and she is brilliant I could not ask for a better person to be in there.
    Also the more money / rent you get the more tax you pay to the revenue when you file them.

I was advised earlier this year to put my tenants rent up by 250-300 or get someone new and I said no, she is a great tenant pays on time, no hassle and my mortgage is paid each month so everything is covered.
    The systme in Ireland for housing is terrible.

Getting a decent tenant is priceless.

<mod snip>

Now, the rent is about €175 less than market rate for the area, but when I take the cost of fixing the place up after the bad tenants, it's probably ok.

Hopefully, they'll continue on minding the place.
    Some people appreciate the roof over their heads more than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭NorthStars

Landlords are reluctant to accept RAS tenants because of the reputation of the scheme.
    Certain sections of society are more lightly to damage a property than others.
    This is the fact of the matter, however unpalatable that fact is.

As I said, a good tenant with a good relationship with the landlord, is priceless.

I wish the OP well in his/her search, sounds like a family I would welcome if I had a place to rent to.

If you want to discuss government policy/bail out/developers/banks can I suggest the politics forum please?

we also have to remember that RA props up an artificial floor in the rental market, if the rate for south dublin was 1400 a month, you wouldn't find a house in a decent area below 1700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

we also have to remember that RA props up an artificial floor in the rental market, if the rate for south dublin was 1400 a month, you wouldn't find a house in a decent area below 1700.

It does in a falling market but not in a rising one where the asking rent is far in excess of the state cap for rent allowance .

as far as I remember when rents started to rise a few years ago the gov dropped the rent allowance limits because at that time the prevailing thought was that the current rates capped rent at a minimum for an area.
    Ra was dropped, the rents still rose

It does in a falling market but not in a rising one where the asking rent is far in excess of the state cap for rent allowance .

as far as I remember when rents started to rise a few years ago the gov dropped the rent allowance limits because at that time the prevailing thought was that the current rates capped rent at a minimum for an area.
    Ra was dropped, the rents still rose

ofcourse rents can still rise and fall no matter the limit , but the idea of it being a floor is that even if we went back to handing out mortgages left and right and rental demand disappeared , you will never ever ever end up in a position where a house in a good part of south dublin and other desirable areas comes within side the RA limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

If rents are at a level exceeding the levels payable under RA scheme, some tenants will have to move house to areas where they can afford the rent.

This is not the fault of the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Roger McAllen

I still feel people should not be forced into moving away from their social structure if they don't want to.

People who work, even with 2 incomes are being forced to move away from their family/friends, such is the crisis in Dublin especially. Why should we bend the rules for people who don't work? What sort of society would that create in the future, where you are punished for working - and the harder you work, the greater the punishment? It doesn't take a genius to see what kind of problems that would create down the line.

I really don't get this reluctance of people to relocate outside Dublin. I was in 3 different primary schools as a child, due to my father needing to move for work. We went from Dublin to, Clare then Monaghan and eventually moved back to Dublin many years later. My sisters and brother and myself all have degrees now and very successful careers. We also have wide social circles and good friends from all over.

If my father deliberately stayed in Dublin and we became homeless as a result, I don't think I would speak to him today. It's rather insulting to the 3 million or so people who live outside Dublin that there is such horror at the thoughts of moving to their towns/cities. Judging by the reactions it's like you're asking them to move to Ulaanbaatar.

• Advertisement

I really don't get this reluctance of people to relocate outside Dublin.

If my father deliberately stayed in Dublin and we became homeless as a result, I don't think I would speak to him today. It's rather insulting to the 3 million or so people who live outside Dublin that there is such horror at the thoughts of moving to their towns/cities. Judging by the reactions it's like you're asking them to move to Ulaanbaatar.

To be fair, I can see both sides, it's pretty ****ty to realise that you can't even afford to live in the same COUNTY as your family when you are constrained by social welfare benefit, and a big upheaval to move, especially if you have kids.

However given the current situation, that's the reality, and people need to start prioritising housing their children, over preferences for areas.

Research shows that children who suffer homelessness are more likely to become homeless as adults, that's not a cycle you want to initiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Charisma

argentum wrote: »
    Have they tried the notice boards in the local supermarkets like supervalue in case there's something there that's available

They have done everything they can including writing up a letter and printing it of and dropping into any house they see that looks like it might be empty asking owners if they would rent to them. They have advertised everywhere and been to every estate agent in South Dublin and Focus Ireland and many other organisations. There is nothing out there for RAS tenents. Also as they are RAS registered they are not allowed go for a rent allowance house but they are impossible to find also.

Charisma wrote: »
    They have done everything they can including writing up a letter and printing it of and dropping into any house they see that looks like it might be empty asking owners if they would rent to them. They have advertised everywhere and been to every estate agent in South Dublin and Focus Ireland and many other organisations. There is nothing out there for RAS tenents. Also as they are RAS registered they are not allowed go for a rent allowance house but they are impossible to find also.

Have the looked in the likes of Kildare and Meath?

Dublin is a horror at the moment if you are on restricted means and renting

I understand you want to live in a certain area because of your son but you won't find any houses I dont think in those areas for 1400 but if you were to travel a little further like Kingswood or Old Bawn or Kilnamanagh which are literally 15 mins down the M50 you would get something.
    There are no houses to rent in Tallaght at the moment under 1300 and that's the rouger areas and they wont take rent allowance or RAS

There are no houses to rent in Tallaght at the moment under 1300 and that's the rouger areas and they wont take rent allowance or RAS

Could they temporarily move in with you?

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

People who work, even with 2 incomes are being forced to move away from their family/friends, such is the crisis in Dublin especially. Why should we bend the rules for people who don't work? What sort of society would that create in the future, where you are punished for working - and the harder you work, the greater the punishment? It doesn't take a genius to see what kind of problems that would create down the line.

I really don't get this reluctance of people to relocate outside Dublin. I was in 3 different primary schools as a child, due to my father needing to move for work. We went from Dublin to, Clare then Monaghan and eventually moved back to Dublin many years later. My sisters and brother and myself all have degrees now and very successful careers. We also have wide social circles and good friends from all over.

By all accounts people who are working are struggling too - My post and this part of it you highlighted was not just aimed at those on social welfare. And as I also explained I moved away - I am talking about breaking up of communities, because of the housing crisis, high rents, lack of affordable accommodation. And also some people's attitude to that - like; it's just the way things are, suck it up, commute, why should you have a right to live where you feel part of things - have felt part of things...

So I actually agree with you. Only I don't discriminate when it comes to people's financial situations. Maybe you should read my post again - as someone else commented I was just endorsing what others were saying albeit without the hard stance.

It still doesn't mean I have to like the desperate situation that some people are being forced into at a time when they are already down on their luck.

By all accounts people who are working are struggling too - My post and this part of it you highlighted was not just aimed at those on social welfare. And as I also explained I moved away - I am talking about breaking up of communities, because of the housing crisis, high rents, lack of affordable accommodation. And also some people's attitude to that - like; it's just the way things are, suck it up, commute, why should you have a right to live where you feel part of things - have felt part of things...

So I actually agree with you. Only I don't discriminate when it comes to people's financial situations. Maybe you should read my post again - as someone else commented I was just endorsing what others were saying albeit without the hard stance.

It still doesn't mean I have to like the desperate situation that some people are being forced into at a time when they are already down on their luck.

It's a desperate situation in all honesty, I know that if I had to move tomorrow, I would probably be able to afford to rent somewhere else, but if I had to I'd move down the country and commute, which is a massive toll in terms of time and tiredness, I used commute from Portlaoise to Dublin.

Tbh, when I did, I'd less sense of community as I simply wasn't there enough to build up a base.

I think they will have to look further afield but as far as Ive herd that too is becoming difficult. His reluctance to move is based on extended family support and circumstance one of which is he takes care of my mum whos health is failing at 80. He does all her shopping, brings her to all her hospital appointments and takes care if her bills, medication etc as well as keeping her 1 bed house clean and in good repair. Hes not her official carer as hes only down 4 to five times a week for one or two hours but this enables her to continue living at home. I am disabled and cant do what he does if he goes away so she will have to go into care and that is going to cost the state a lot more than rent allowance.

• Advertisement

I think they will have to look further afield but as far as Ive herd that too is becoming difficult. His reluctance to move is based on extended family support and circumstance one of which is he takes care of my mum whos health is failing at 80. He does all her shopping, brings her to all her hospital appointments and takes care if her bills, medication etc as well as keeping her 1 bed house clean and in good repair. Hes not her official carer as hes only down 4 to five times a week for one or two hours but this enables her to continue living at home. I am disabled and cant do what he does if he goes away so she will have to go into care and that is going to cost the state a lot more than rent allowance.

Do you have the room for them to live with you?
    If not then the harsh reality is that they probably will have to move further out.

Your son has a family to look after and that is his primary responsibility. While it is nice to have the time/ability to look after extended family his close family should be his main concern.

I had the same myself years ago when my Ohs parents depended on us for a lot as we lived close, and we then bought a house 60 miles away as that was all we could afford so they had to adapt.

Can your mother enquire about home help and community support? Could your son do some of what he does now if he moved?

Advertisement