Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Emerald Fund - for up and coming Irish riders

Options
  • 22-08-2015 8:39pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the website is now live and provides a lot of information about this fund and indeed how to contribute

This is a new fund to help up and coming junior riders and will be supported by an annual sportive which this year will be held on Saturday 14 November starting in Dunboyne with 45km and 70km optiions

There are 3 names behind this - Dan Martin, Cian Lynch and David O'Connell

I've told Dave he is fine to respond to any questions within this thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Beasty wrote: »
    I see the website is now live and provides a lot of information about this fund and indeed how to contribute

This is a new fund to help up and coming junior riders and will be supported by an annual sportive which this year will be held on Saturday 14 November starting in Dunboyne with 45km and 70km optiions

There are 3 names behind this - Dan Martin, Cian Lynch and David O'Connell

I've told Dave he is fine to respond to any questions within this thread.

So long as I'm not working, i'll do the sportive. Best of luck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Will Dan be cycling the sportive? I don't want particularly want to crash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Zyzz wrote: »
    Will Dan be cycling the sportive? I don't want particularly want to crash

Karma is en-route to you. Esp for your double "want" crime above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Another super junior team to contend with in the A3 ranks...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Another super junior team to contend with in the A3 ranks...

Morning,

Just to clarify, the Emerald Fund isn't a team. The idea is to raise funds thru the Sportive and Banquet and then Junior riders will apply for funding for the following year.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Couldn't see this information on the site:

- Is it affiliated with CI?
    - Who are the directors (other than the lads mentioned)?
    - How are the funds administered?
    - Is it VAT registered?

All important things to consider (IMO) when it comes to corporate sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

Its a fund similar to the Dave Raynor Fund and the Braveheart Fund in the UK.Cyclists who wish to race abroad for a period to help gain experience etc can apply for a grant from fund to partially help them on their way.Thats my understanding of it anyway.Im sure the names already mentioned will be the trustees of it.Dave im sure will confirm.
    Myself together with a couple more have been asked to help consider the applicants on merit,given that we would have a bit of knowledge around riders in that bracket,but that will be my only input.Glad to help in some small way if it helps cyclists on their way.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

- Is it VAT registered?

Just on the VAT point neither donations nor grants should be within the VAT net. Corporate donations are different but I would be very surprised if something like this had any VAT to worry about given there are unlikely to be any potentially VATable supplies made by the fund (unless it starts selling merchandise and the like but even then the turnover level for registering is very high). That would mean any VAT-exempt sponsor would not have to worry about irrecoverable VAT on any sponsorship payments ;)

- Is it VAT registered?

Hi,

Thanks for your enquiry.

1. We are not affiliated with Cycling Ireland.
    2. The fund is run by Cian Lynch and myself. We have a panel of five from across Ireland who will assist us when granting of funds arises.
    3. The fund will retain the services of a registered accountant.
    4. See explanation from Beasty

Hope that answers your queries. Hope to see you on November 14th in Dunboyne.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Karma is en-route to you. Esp for your double "want" crime above.

Crashed and wrote off my bike today.

• Advertisement

Ticket information

Tickets will go on sale for the Sportive and Banquet on September 14th at 09:00.

Tickets for the Banquet will be limited so get in early to avoid disappointment.

Check out the relevent links on www.emeraldfund.ie

Ticket details

Ticket sale was delayed last week due to a new arrival in one of the directors families!

Tickets for the Sportive and Banquet now on sale from Monday the 21st.

If you follow us on Facebook we'll be revealing each day next week details about who's coming and what to expect at the Banquet and Sportive

The Emerald Fund

Good morning!

Tickets for the inaugural Emerald Fund Banquet and Sportive are now available online at www.emeraldfund.ie

*Please note that tickets for the Banquet are limited so don't miss out.

This is a total non profit group and ALL funds raised will divided amongst those who apply.

Competition time!

https://m.facebook.com/Emeraldfund/posts/736482759788964

Register before October 1st for chance to win.

Quick update for Boards.ie

Our rider line up is complete or is it?

Join

Dan Martin Cannondale Garmin
    Ryan Mullen Cannondale Garmin
    Damien Shaw Irish National Champ Team Asea
    Eddie Dunbar U23 Nat Champ NFTO
    Lydia Boylan Women's Nat Champ WNT

And Irish Cycling legend Sean Kelly.

Tickets for Sportive and Banquet on sale now and ALL funds raised go back in to Irish Cycling next generation.

Hopefully see some Boards.ie jersies on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Dave11 wrote: »
    Quick update for Boards.ie

Our rider line up is complete or is it?

Join

Dan Martin Cannondale Garmin
    Ryan Mullen Cannondale Garmin
    Damien Shaw Irish National Champ Team Asea
    Eddie Dunbar U23 Nat Champ NFTO
    Lydia Boylan Women's Nat Champ WNT

And Irish Cycling legend Sean Kelly.

Tickets for Sportive and Banquet on sale now and ALL funds raised go back in to Irish Cycling next generation.

Hopefully see some Boards.ie jersies on the road.

Looking forward so I am but wasn't planning on wearing my boardsie jersey. Smothered with a cold at the mo but will be well wrapped up when cycling this so doubt jersey would be seen anyways ;)

If I can help with anything, don't hesitate in contacting me here or via a message on twitter.
    ~ Any plans for anything like a group-think or workshop-type event?
    ~ Controlled pace when riding in the groups?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Looking forward so I am but wasn't planning on wearing my boardsie jersey. Smothered with a cold at the mo but will be well wrapped up when cycling this so doubt jersey would be seen anyways ;)

If I can help with anything, don't hesitate in contacting me here or via a message on twitter.
    ~ Any plans for anything like a group-think or workshop-type event?
    ~ Controlled pace when riding in the groups?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Fair point regarding the jersey! Ha ha

The groups will be controlled and all our guests will be working their way up and down the groups to ensure they interact with as many on the road as they can. They might cheat a bit (take a lift)

With regard to the workshops we are planning on holding 3 or 4 events each year where we will be bringing in guests from within the pro ranks like Managers, Soigneurs, coaches etc who will discuss what it takes to be a pro. The facts not the fiction.

Make sure you come up and say hello on the day.

Dave

Hi Guys,

Quick update for you all on Boards.

We have added a family 12k loop and a spin around M3 Parkway for the really small ones amongst us to our schedule on November 14th. Sign on per family will be only €10 and will be done on the day.

We've some amazing auction and raffle items and great entertainment lined up for the Banquet.

If you know of any riders who may benefit from the fund please tell them about it and have them send in an application

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Looking forward to this.

Who else is going? What is the proposed route?

http://www.emeraldfund.ie/

Less then a week to go now till our events and numbers are looking great.

Still one or two tables available for the Banquet if members here were interested in putting together a Boards table??

Auction items on the night include:

Dan Martin TdF jersey
    Dan Martin GC Jersey from Tour of Catalunya
    Damien Shaw Nat Champ jersey
    Sam Bennett Jersey
    Eddie Dunbar NFTO jersey
    Lydia Boyland Nat Champ jersey

Week for 2 at Stephen Roche training camp
    4 days cycling holiday at Mont Ventoux
    5 night stay at Hotel Quinta do Lago with 3k

and lots more....

We'll also have a raffle with:

2 x Bolle 6th Sense glasses
    2 x Galibier full Winter clothing set
    Clothing and accessories from The Hub in Limerick

and lots more.....

Hopefully see a few from here on the day. Its going to be a great day and don't forget its all for the benefit of the future Irish cycling stars.

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sincerely Hope the cycle went well for you all & the Banquet a HUGE success :)

Safe & Happy Peddling,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Did this today as my first sportive. Great fun (despite the weather).

Good trip around with some great company. 27k average.

That coffee at the end was the most delicious drink that I've ever had!

Admins,

Hope it's OK to resurrect this post?

The Emerald Fund today announced its criteria for riders wishing to apply for funding for the 2017 season.

http://emeraldfund.ie/funding/

Our events for 2017 fundraising take place in Belfast on January 21st. There will be a Banquet in Titanic and a Sportive in West Belfast TBC.

The fund requires the support of Irish cyclists and has huge potential to support the next generation similar to the success of the Dave Rayner Fund and Braveheart Fund in England and Scotland.

Dave

Advertisement