Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regard LCVP please

• 22-08-2015 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

My son has been given LCVP as part of his options for leaving cert. he is extremely academic, loves school and doesn't particularly want to do LCVP.
    He's afraid the extra curricular stuff will take away from studying for his other subjects. (Biology and Chemistry being two of his options)
    He's really interested in going the science route and all college places he's looked at are over the 500+ points mark. He can opt not to take LCVP but doesn't know what to do.
    Any advice from second level teachers would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Distinction: 70 points

Merit: 50 points

Pass: 30 points

These are the points he can get from LCVP. So the top mark is equivalent to a c1 in a higher level subject or 10 more than an a1 in ordinary level. If he's looking to maximise points then he needs to think about whether he would be counting LCVP in his 6 best subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

He got all As and Bs in all honours in junior cert. I know it's very different to leaving cert but I'm afraid that the "effort" to get the distinction in LCVP will take away from the other subjects. I think there's placements etc in LCVP which will distract him. He did ty and hated all the project work, loves "normal school".

Any idea how much time these extra projects will take. He's my fourth to do LC so I know the pressure there is. I really don't want him to put himself under more pressure trying to get extra projects done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

He got all As and Bs in all honours in junior cert. I know it's very different to leaving cert but I'm afraid that the "effort" to get the distinction in LCVP will take away from the other subjects. I think there's placements etc in LCVP which will distract him. He did ty and hated all the project work, loves "normal school".

Any idea how much time these extra projects will take. He's my fourth to do LC so I know the pressure there is. I really don't want him to put himself under more pressure trying to get extra projects done.

There is very little to LCVP for able students and the work experience would be beneficial. There is an outing to a local business which generally happens in 5th year and a few other things which are very useful. I think it is a very good subject for any student to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

What about applied maths? In my school a few people were able to do it to get out of LCVP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Is LCVP now mandatory in some schools? What's the reasoning behind that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

LCVP is a very straight forward subject. We do all the portfolio work in 5th yr, 6thyr spent on exam papers & last few corrections. There will be portfolio pieces to type up in 5th yr but very little in 6th yr.
    Everybody who qualifies does it in our school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Thanks for your imput. Feel a bit better now about level of work. Think I will encourage him to do it if most of work is done in 5th year. It shouldn't impact on overall work in final year.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

LCVP requires minimal effort to do well (with some common sense) and you'd be surprised at how often people need that 50 or 0 points to fall back on (myself included!) It's a great life skills course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In the old days when education for the world and life mattered rather than points, LCVP was the sort of subject people were crying out to be put on the curriculum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

spurious wrote: »
    In the old days when education for the world and life mattered rather than points, LCVP was the sort of subject people were crying out to be put on the curriculum.

Wonder whether it will come back around when they have to alter the LC to match the new JC?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

theLuggage wrote: »
    Wonder whether it will come back around when they have to alter the LC to match the new JC?

I suppose it depends what Britain get rid of in their system. That is what we will bring in, at great cost, only to also dump it down the line.

Advertisement