Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older Ipad for Children

• 23-08-2015 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking to get Ipad for my Children. mostly for education app's. I have tried a number of cheaper android alternatives but you can't get a decent protective case for them so all of them have ended up broken in pieces.

I don't want to spend a fortune but want something I potential won't have to change in a few months. I was thinking Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini 2.

Not going to buy the new Ipad 2, looking second hand. Would this be the best option? will new versions of iOS be supported?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking to get Ipad for my Children. mostly for education app's. I have tried a number of cheaper android alternatives but you can't get a decent protective case for them so all of them have ended up broken in pieces.

I don't want to spend a fortune but want something I potential won't have to change in a few months. I was thinking Ipad 2 or Ipad Mini 2.

Not going to buy the new Ipad 2, looking second hand. Would this be the best option? will new versions of iOS be supported?

Thanks

The new version of iOS would be on it. I think that is best to get an iPad. They are very reliable and at the end of the day that's what you want. You can easily buy covers for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I think from iOS 9 onwards the iPad 2 isn't supported. My suggestion would be an iPad 4, if you can find one at a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Zcott wrote: »
    I think from iOS 9 onwards the iPad 2 isn't supported. My suggestion would be an iPad 4, if you can find one at a decent price.

Yeah this time next year the iPad 2 is likely to be finished in terms of updates. Can't see it getting iOS 10. I still would consider it as a great purchase as you will still get a good few years out of it and education apps should be compatible with iOS 9 for a similar few years at least.

It depends on how much you want to spend. iPad 4 will
    obviously cost more but that cost difference should see you through maybe 2 more iOS release cycles and also supports the Lightning connector which is better and has a retina display.

Comes down to price. Compare both on second hand sites and make a call. You won't go wrong with either. Just don't bother with the iPad 3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Whats the issue with Ipad 3?

Was thinking maybe going mini?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It just wasn't an efficient upgrade. The 4 came out around 6 months after it, and was in a lot of people's opinion, what the 3 should have been.

iPad Mini is good. The 2nd gen is a great machine. Very cheap too for what it offers. Try the Apple refurb store for one.

http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's nothing wrong with the iPad 3 per se. It has a far superior Retina screen to the iPad 2. But it's thicker, heavier and underpowered and as FourFM said was discontinued quite quickly.

Advertisement