Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting clara vale (vale of clare) to dun laoghaire?

• 23-08-2015 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys, I'm seriously considering moving to clara vale wicklow (with my husband). I work in dun laoghaire and he works from home, so ill be the only one travelling for a 9.30-5.30 (mon-fri) job. I don't mind the travelling but just need to know what public transport options I have and if they're reliable all year round. I'd want to live driving as my last option but that's a possibility. Your thoughts and advise will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The train from Rathdrum would probably be your only realistic option, which would involve driving to Rathdrum first. The only other possibility would be to drive to Laragh and take St. Kevin's Bus to, say Bray, and get the 45A from there. The train would be quicker though. There's no public transport in the Vale of Clara itself as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jotiz

Alun wrote: »
    The train from Rathdrum would probably be your only realistic option, which would involve driving to Rathdrum first. The only other possibility would be to drive to Laragh and take St. Kevin's Bus to, say Bray, and get the 45A from there. The train would be quicker though. There's no public transport in the Vale of Clara itself as far as I know.

Thanks for that. Ill check out the St. Kevin's bus just to make sure I have an alternative to the train. Do you know how regular the St. Kevin's bus is? Bus 45A would literally be 3mins walk to my work place and the train station is only a 10min walk.

And do you know how friendly the vale of Clare town/village is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I think (but may be wrong) that the St Kevin's bus runs once a day only in each direction (except high summer when it runs twice).

And Clara itself is tiny so Clara Vale is probably even less populated ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, the St. Kevin's bus timetable is fairly limited and there is only one bus in the morning, but it does leave Laragh at 7.15 getting in to Bray at 8.00, Dawson St. at 9.00. I've not used it myself but I know someone who lived in Bray who took it every day to work in Dublin for years as it went past the end of her road, and it was apparently very reliable. Even when the roads are bad in the winter the St. Kevin's seems to manage to get through, the drivers know that road like the back of their hands.

Timetable is here http://www.glendaloughbus.com/

To be honest I think the train would be quicker. While the bus might get you to Bray pretty quickly, the 45A takes a pretty meandering route to get to DL, and takes much longer than you'd imagine.

Regarding the "village" there isn't really an identifiable centre. There's a really pretty church down in Clara Vale and a handful of houses but that's it. I only really know the area from walking so can't really comment on how friendly the area is. Have you actually visited the area yet?

One thing to be aware of is that the area right down by the church and river is prone to flooding. Also the road from Clara up to the Laragh / Rathdrum road is very narrow and steep. I wouldn't fancy trying to get out of there in the snow or ice in anything but a serious 4x4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Jotiz wrote: »
    And do you know how friendly the vale of Clare town/village is?

You can't have viewed any properties here? Otherwise you'd realise this is rural Wicklow - Laragh or Rathdrum are the only villages in the area you mention. Google Earth is your friend :)

• Advertisement

BarryD wrote: »
    You can't have viewed any properties here? Otherwise you'd realise this is rural Wicklow - Laragh or Rathdrum are the only villages in the area you mention. Google Earth is your friend :)

No, we haven't been there yet. Viewing the place next weekend. We don't mind that it's rural as we live very quiet lives and are not really city folk. But the flooding has taken me aback:( I guess we'll first have to see where exactly the property is. Thanks so much for your feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Jotiz wrote: »
    No, we haven't been there yet. Viewing the place next weekend. We don't mind that it's rural as we live very quiet lives and are not really city folk. But the flooding has taken me aback:( I guess we'll first have to see where exactly the property is. Thanks so much for your feedback.

Valley has steep enough sides, so flooding would mostly be an issue near the Avonmore River, most houses from memory are higher up on the sides. So depends on location etc. Pricey enough area - very scenic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

Whilst it is beautiful up there you could find yourself snowed in for a few days in even a relatively mild winter. You would need to save annual leave days in case of this.

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, the St. Kevin's bus timetable is fairly limited and there is only one bus in the morning, but it does leave Laragh at 7.15 getting in to Bray at 8.00, Dawson St. at 9.00. I've not used it myself but I know someone who lived in Bray who took it every day to work in Dublin for years as it went past the end of her road, and it was apparently very reliable. Even when the roads are bad in the winter the St. Kevin's seems to manage to get through, the drivers know that road like the back of their hands.

To be honest I think the train would be quicker. While the bus might get you to Bray pretty quickly, the 45A takes a pretty meandering route to get to DL, and takes much longer than you'd imagine.

Regarding the "village" there isn't really an identifiable centre. There's a really pretty church down in Clara Vale and a handful of houses but that's it. I only really know the area from walking so can't really comment on how friendly the area is. Have you actually visited the area yet?

One thing to be aware of is that the area right down by the church and river is prone to flooding. Also the road from Clara up to the Laragh / Rathdrum road is very narrow and steep. I wouldn't fancy trying to get out of there in the snow or ice in anything but a serious 4x4.

Reading the comments, I guess the train would be the best option for me if we moved. Would just have to to the station. But thinking to drive on that steep road scares me though. Ah, it's just difficult to find an affordable place to live in dublin that's decent, hence the move. Thanks for the helpful feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Don't underestimate how awkward (and consequently stressful) a three stage commute from rural Ireland (or rural anywhere) can be.

If you miss a stage, or it's late / cancelled then you've no recourse, no other option, you'll miss an entire days work.
    A few of those a year and you'll be let go.

I'd drive it if I were you.

• Advertisement

fleet wrote: »
    Don't underestimate how awkward (and consequently stressful) a three stage commute from rural Ireland (or rural anywhere) can be.

If you miss a stage, or it's late / cancelled then you've no recourse, no other option, you'll miss an entire days work.
    A few of those a year and you'll be let go.

I'd drive it if I were you.

In real Irish terms, I wouldn't start from there at all if I were working in Dún Laoghaire. The cost of commuting (and the time factor as fleet mentions) would probably balance out the higher rent in a more urban setting.

Thank you so much guys. I'm altogether rethinking this move now. Your feedback has given me a whole new persecution. I'm already seeing myself so stressed up after missing a train and a whole days work. And I'm shying away from permanently driving to and froWill look to areas with much frequent train times. A colleague suggested wicklow town. Any thoughts? Can't find anything in bray/greystones area within our budget, so that's not an option for us.

I think Wicklow town sounds much more realistic and practical!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,108 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What about Kilcoole?

Its still on the train line and you can get the 84 and 84x buses from it. (Although neither go direct to Dun Laoghaire)

Or newtownmountkennedy?

It has a bus every half hour to Bray via Greystones. You could link up with DART and/or 45a

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

I really dont see the issue with driving to DL.Of course you may have your personal reasons but from Rathdrum you would get to DL in 45 mins or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Rathnew house prices are more reasonable than Wicklow and a bus133 leaves every hour for Dublin and more often in rush hour you are also beside the M11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

Such a beautiful place! We live about 10 minutes further up (overlooking the glenmalure valley) and I commute to Blackrock every day (driving). Takes just over an hour (pretty much all traffic is south Dublin) in the Summer it's about 50/55 minutes.

Even with petrol costs I reckon we save about €500 a month on rent versus living in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

I live in Glendalough and worked in Ballsbridge last fee years, forget about public transport, whilst Kevins bus is reliable it takes an age, let me tell you standing at a bus stop in laragh in the middle.of winter at 7am is not nice, driving is the only way, you get used to it.. I got it down to 45 mins door to door. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

bido wrote: »
    Rathnew house prices are more reasonable than Wicklow and a bus133 leaves every hour for Dublin and more often in rush hour you are also beside the M11.

I wouldn't let a rat loose in rathnew and this isn't a trolling attempt. It's more so the people than the area although it is situated ideally for commuting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I wouldn't let a rat loose in rathnew and this isn't a trolling attempt. It's more so the people than the area although it is situated ideally for commuting

I didn't want to diss Rathnew as I'm not from there, but there's generally a reason why some villages are cheaper than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

I'm from Dublin, but know Rathnew very well. It's very small & right beside Wicklow Town, literally a 2 minute drive. The Saunders Lane and Wilton Manor estates are lovely. Lots of Dubs moved down there during the boom.

Advertisement