Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerry v Tyrone Match Thread *READ MOD NOTE POST #1*

Comments

Dont choke, dont choke, dont choke- ah Mayo, why did you choke again?
    Keep your bitterness to yourself and concentrate on why your boys constantly bottle it
    Very mature..:rolleyes:

Ace2007 wrote: »
    How many favourable decisions did they get?

Is it Kerry's fault that Tyrone don't take their goal chances?
    Is it Kerry's fault that the tyrone keeper kicked a number of wides?

Cooper was taken clearly out of it after the ball was released and could easily have been a red- but it wasn't - was that a favourable kerry decision.

The first penalty - their are hardly any replays to prove conclusively that it was a penalty - but how many time is the second incident shown.

Where was Cavanagh today - a time when his team need him most?
    I agree with all your points except it was probably just a yellow or black v gooch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Very mature..:rolleyes:

You cut me deep with that, ouch.
    You bang the same drum in every Kerry match thread- its tiresome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Kerry are riding a wave of favourable referring decisions for a number of years now...............What is HQ going to do about it ????? Its more than coincidence at this stage.

:rolleyes:
    Nothing more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Tyrone's reliance on constant short kickouts was bizarre and cost them several points. They were holding their own in Midfield on the rare occasion a kickout went that far.

And the two minutes of injury time was a joke. There must have been far more time lost than that.

Still, I'm happy to see Kerry in the final again. They never have it easy against Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

Whats the betting Joanne is going to ask Mickey Harte if he's going to quit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Darragh O'Sé's punditry is embarassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Darragh O'Sé's punditry is embarassing.

Most Kerry pundits find it very difficult to even try to disguise their bias when analysing games, the O'Sé's are particularly bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Only saw the last 25 minutes but I'm not sure the ref was as bad to tyrone as people made out. Before the penalty, the turnover in midfield was a high tackle and should have been a Kerry free. In saying that, the 'dive' could have went either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MattB11

Lots of bad decisions by the officials today......and quite a lot of it favouring one particular team....these so called conspiracy theories are hardly surprising, on the game Tyrone only have themselves to blame it was there for the taking and as Joe brolly said before the game Tyrone will need goals...they had a number of good goal chances they didn't take and that along with stupid short kick outs was their downfall, whether it's the dubs or Mayo I hope they batter Kerry in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Kerry are riding a wave of favourable referring decisions for a number of years now...............

They do seem to be alright.

Even though I'm no fan of Brolly, he was right when he said it would have definitely been a penalty if it happened with Cooper down the other end.

You can say that missed goal chances, poor kick outs or giving away stupid frees cost Tyrone.

But with a more balanced referee, might have been different

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Think people are seeing what they want to see with regards the referee. The only thing I disagreed with was the probable second black card for Kerry. The dive was a dive in my opinion. It actually reminded me a bit of the Tyrone quarter final but reversed. In the quarter final Tyrone never looked like they would be beaten. Today, even when Tyrone got a head of steam Kerry just seemed to be able to up a gear or two. Tyrone had the heart and desire but Kerry had the quality today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

I thought the peno awarded to Tyrone was soft enough - the panel never even mentioned it.
    Apart from a yellow card that should have been black for a Kerry player I didn't see a whole lot that deegan got wrong.
    Delighted that the Tyrone lad that dragged cooper up off the ground got a black card, about time that crap was dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Kerry are riding a wave of favourable referring decisions for a number of years now...............
    record,broken,dirty,music,photography,photoshop-4bff5362ae892f4f03d5d4d7abc77f53_h.jpg

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    record,broken,dirty,music,photography,photoshop-4bff5362ae892f4f03d5d4d7abc77f53_h.jpg

johnboy2 don't be so tight....its 2015 its probably time for you to upgrade to a CD player at this stage anyway :). Try adverts.ie you might get one 2nd hand for a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

I thought the first penalty wasn't one and the second not given was rightly so. The only black card merited was to Enright. The others were more mistimed and only yellow if at all

• Registered Users Posts: 39 whoops_jimmy

enricoh wrote: »
    I thought the peno awarded to Tyrone was soft enough - the panel never even mentioned it.
    Apart from a yellow card that should have been black for a Kerry player I didn't see a whole lot that deegan got wrong.
    Delighted that the Tyrone lad that dragged cooper up off the ground got a black card, about time that crap was dealt with.

WRONG MCMahon gently helped copper back to his feet while Mc named got black card for late challenge
    Good game in the conditions but goal chances not taken cost tyrone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I did not see the game properly but I have read and heard "Enright was lucky not to get a black"

Is this true, did he deserve a black ?

If so is there some physical force in the universe that prevents a black card being shown to him ?

I'll wahtch the game properly later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I did not see the game properly but I have read and heard "Enright was lucky not to get a black"

If so is there some physical force in the universe that prevents a black card being shown to him ?

Definite black card Father,pulled the Tyrone player down.

Fitzmaurice is lucky to have gotten away with that today. His tactics of defending deeply and having no attacking options in the first half allowed Tyrone create a foothold in the game. In the second half when they pushed up Morgans kick outs fell apart and Kerry were quite clearly the better team.

Up until the peno Kerry were coasting and would have been much further in front if it hadn't been for the absolutely horrendous gameplan in the first half.

As far as Deegan is concerned I thought he did alright apart from the Enright decision. The Tyrone full back shouldn't have walked but Marc O Se deserved his black and the final tackle on Cooper was borderline red. The second penalty appeal I think he got absolutely spot on. Peno was on his mind from the second he won the ball.

Either of the two teams left could certainly put Kerry to the sword but mentally I think only Dublin are capable of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

There were definitely soft frees on both sides from what I could tell...the reality is Tyrone reap what they sow in terms of referee decisions.if you had crawled from under a rock and watched the game then you would think Tyrone were hard done by.But if you watch the game in the context of all the baggage they carry then it's not rocket science to conclude that there will come a time when they won't get the rub of the green or get the benefit of the doubt.their reputation precedes them and they've no one to blame but themselves.

As for the penalty that wasnt,I think that decision was correct.the guy was looking for it and threw himself to the ground.the problem for Tyrone is that he probably was fouled but in throwing himself to the ground in the way he did,coupled with tyrones rep,the ref was having none of it.

If it is a case that Tyrone were hard done by then I think it serves them right.the gaa clearly aren't going to deal with them through the disciplinary process and the great mickey bloody harte obviously won't change their attitude so the only hope that they'll change is when they reflect on a game like today and realise that they'll never get the benefit of the doubt as long as they continue to behave as they did in the quarters.in theory their behaviour has the potential to affect results in the big games and maybe that's the only thing that will make them reconsider their approach to the game.

I hope they do as they have some fine players and play good stuff at times. But the way some of them behave is nauseating at times.constantly questioning ref decisions against them,the follow through on Gooch was a red all day for me...stuff like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

100% black card. I was absolutely shocked as a remember a few Kerry posters said last week they get no big calls and I'm fact always play against 16 men. Couldn't believe they actually got a call in their favour :-)
    Enright clearly exempt from black cards or indeed red as it should have been in Limerick. Great position he finds himself in the lucky fella :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tyrone were rode rotten by the referees bias on the big calls in the 2nd half. The bias was probably unconscious, and probably as a result of the coverage of Tyrone players in recent weeks, but it's bias nonetheless.
    If the game shows one thing, it is the importance of a reliable free taker. Imagine Tyrone with Sheehan, Rock, O'Connor, O'Donoghue, Brogan, et al. They would have been 5 point winners. It's a weakness that was there last year too, it's a wonder it hasn't been fixed by Harte & Co. TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Can anyone explain the Tyrone black card to me? I couldn't see anything that was done to Cooper that merited a black card by the rules.

elefant wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the Tyrone black card to me? I couldn't see anything that was done to Cooper that merited a black card by the rules.

Because it was a tackle on Colm Cooper;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yea Enright should have got a black there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

elefant wrote: »

No one can. It was a blatant and deliberate error on the part of the referee. There's no other excuse that fits. Enrights yellow that followed makes it concrete in my eyes.

In real time or by replay no honest judge would have made those mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

you'd swear the way people are going on that Enright not getting the black card was the difference in the game....

Kerry have plenty options on the bench to replace him.

What really mattered is Tyrone didn't take the chances they had and Kerry scored 4 points in the last 10 minutes of the game when Tyrone had drew level, they had momentum and the crowd, and that's what won Kerry the game, they stood up when it counted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Theres a definite anti Kerry vibe with people ignoring any decisions that go against Kerry. The Tyrone black card should have been a yellow according to the rules but it was a cynical attempt with minimal attempt to play the ball.
    For the Tyrone penalty, the foul was certainly no worse than the one on Maher which caused him to lose possession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

mystic86 wrote:
    Kerry have plenty options on the bench to replace him.

No they don't. MOS was already gone and enright is a very good corner back, Kerry didn't have a replacement for him.

Its not anti Kerry, we are discussing the decisions, clearly enrights yellow should have been black.
    McNabbs yellow should have been red.

The penno calls were correct. Tyrone have no free taker to keep them in high pressure games.

Tyrone didn't take their chances at goal, that's their own fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

As a Kerry Supporter this is probably one of our most important wins in recent history. The team can handle and tactically outwit the these awful teams at their own game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Stoner wrote: »
    No they don't. MOS was already gone and enright is a very good corner back, Kerry didn't have a replacement for him.

it happened in the 58th minute, O'Mahoney didn't come in for Crowley until the 62nd minute, O'Mahoney could have come in and they could have made it work, positions are made a mockery anyway when you play with or against a team from Ulster. Also Kilkenny on the bench.

They might have made it work. Big difference between enright and MOS as backs compared to Kilkenny that's why they started and he didnt
    That pair form the spine of the backline. They would have had less options to make changes after that as you pointed out . Anyway it's done now. Kerry were the better team Tyrones failings were mainly internal. But Enright escaping a black card again from the same ref is and was significant and we can't just keep saying that these calls don't matter becuase there was more time left they do matter and they could impact on the result and whomever plays Kerry next.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    As a Kerry Supporter this is probably one of our most important wins in recent history. The team can handle and tactically outwit the these awful teams at their own game.

You mean teams who played awful football like Kerry did in last years final.

Kerry are as defensive and cynical a team as there is at the moment.

• Advertisement

Theres a definite anti Kerry vibe with people ignoring any decisions that go against Kerry. The Tyrone black card should have been a yellow according to the rules but it was a cynical attempt with minimal attempt to play the ball.
    For the Tyrone penalty, the foul was certainly no worse than the one on Maher which caused him to lose possession.

So people are right.The wrong decision was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It's so nice to see graceful winners :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Some dodgy decisions with black yellow and reds not given.

Odd that in the Sunday Game Colm O'Rourke was doubting the MOS black. That was the epitome of the type of foul that the black card was brought in to clamp out.

Very rash from an experienced player like Marc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Stoner wrote: »

That young fella Aidan O'Mahoney would beg to differ. Also PA Kilkenny who had a brilliant game against Mayo in the Semi Final replay last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Marc has been found out a Fewe times already in the past year. In my opinion omahonay is /will be a better fit .

Retirement is looming but plenty there to fill those boots .
    Agreed with stoner .
    I have to say credit to Tyrone . No full forward line . No free takers and if it wasn't for poor decision taking they would be a couple up in the run in to full time . Now that would have been interesting . Best team won but they won't be happy with some individual performances .

• Advertisement

Outwit ??? Your managers first half tactics nearly cost you the match.

Odd that in the Sunday Game Colm O'Rourke was doubting the MOS black. That was the epitome of the type of foul that the black card was brought in to clamp out.

Ya don't know what that lad sees half the time. If O'Sé had just left the right arm in he was fine as that had slid down the body from the initial tackle but the left arm reaching out for the leg made it an obvious black.

You mean teams who played awful football like Kerry did in last years final.

Kerry are as defensive and cynical a team as there is at the moment.

This myth of "awful football" is really growing legs from Kerry's detractors- they didn't play awful football and did nearly all the attacking in that game- if our long range shooting had been better than we'd have won by much more.

The problem was- they were playing against a team who defended really deep with a lot of men behind the ball- what else can you do against that kind of system other than probe for an opening?

If you go in all guns blazing then you get picked off easily like Dublin did

No complaints about Marc's black card- I was actually surprised that Deegan needed to consult his linesman.
    If Enright had gotten one then I'd have accepted that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Great game, never a fan of Tyrone but they were out of this world yesterday. The black card is and always was a stupid idea, should be more like soccer's professional foul and a yellow or red for taking out a scoring player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I thought Tyrone played an outstanding game ....obviously meaning that Kerry were magic in beating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Thought both black cards were correct. Seeing them complain about the Tyr black card was nearly as confusing as seeing Enright get away with a yellow. It was a clear cynical take down almost identical to Enrights tackle. Both penalty calls were iffy, I actually thought the second looked more of a foul but the first was a bit soft. Overall I thought the ref was a bit generous to Kerry.

Fair play to Tyrone they were brilliant. McCurry will soon sit with the elite corner forwards, fantastic player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The bitterness towards Kerry makes this result even sweeter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The Tyrone players will have woke up sick this morning knowing they had the beating of Kerry yesterday. They just didn't take their chances, especially the goal chances. I must look up the scoring chances stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

it would be interesting to have played out that match in dry conditions. My gut feeling is that the conditions suited Tyrone's style a lot more than Kerry's. Kerry coughed up a lot of possession with handling and footing errors and there were a few occasions where a player lost his footing which allowed Tyrone swarm and force frees/concession of possession. Impossible to say for definite but i think its not unreasonable to suggest that Kerry would have had a bit more comfort....

I also don't buy the whole "if they had taken their goal chances Tyrone would have won"...how can anyone know how Kerry would have responded to an early goal....I always felt Kerry were playing a calm controlled game and picked off the scores patiently...who's to say they wouldnt have played with more urgency if they fell behind? They responded well to the penalty, all be it were lucky not to concede another but the facts are they reacted positively and who's to say they wouldnt have done the same earlier and created more goal chances of their own if they had to.....

The resurgance of Tyrone makes for interesting times to come but i just can't warm to them with their "victim complex"....its everyone's fault but their own..Sean Cavanagh claimed after the match that they just want fairness....well a starting point would be for Tyrone themselves to play the game with fairness in mind and they might actually reap some dividend from this....Referees are only human after all and with the best will in the world, can't help but make split second decisions based on reputation at times and if yours in bad by your own making, then don't expect to get the rub of the green.....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement