Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Broken go-pro

• 23-08-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

Best way to fix this lads???
    Gave a loan of it to my brother and he brings it back to me like this

35FCC2EE-EF8E-4202-9B9D-41B2B2573E83_zpszlgijb0k.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

epoxy glue? can't usually beat it...IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

rat_race wrote: »
    epoxy glue? can't usually beat it...IMO

You think it will hold yeah?
    I don't want it coming off the bike at speed.

My brother was doing the Sean Kelly bicycle run and it snapped just from vibration on back roads.
    That was the first time it was ever used on a bike so pretty flimsy.

The cam doesn't come out of the case so it's useless if not fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

How come it doesnt come out of the case? Epoxy resin would be my vote also but use a tether for hooking it up to the bike. Even the cheap go pro fake cases fit the go pros so a case will be dirt cheap to buy.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    How come it doesnt come out of the case? Epoxy resin would be my vote also but use a tether for hooking it up to the bike. Even the cheap go pro fake cases fit the go pros so a case will be dirt cheap to buy.

It's the entry level one which has the case built on to it.

Can't believe it snapped by just cycling on a bumpy road.
    I emailed go pro about it as it seems to be a fairly common fault.

My brother said he'll buy me a new one but I'd rather he wasn't down €135 because of it breaking through no fault of his.

Any brand of epoxy in particular I should get?

Nah I would just get one in woodies or the like, I stuck the corner off a marble table last year and its still perfect. Make sure you follow the instructions to the latter and that its "tacky" before you start to stick it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I believe this is just the waterproof housing,

Honestly. Throw it in the bin, you will spend as much on epoxy from woodies as you would on a new case

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underwater-Waterproof-Housing-Case-Gopro-HD-Hero-3-3-4-New-improved-design-/231284783682?hash=item35d9a5ba42

I know this isnt your model, but they can be got for very little.

Dont bother with glue it wont be as it was, and you will always worry of it snapping off again.

listermint wrote: »
    I believe this is just the waterproof housing,

Honestly. Throw it in the bin, you will spend as much on epoxy from woodies as you would on a new case

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underwater-Waterproof-Housing-Case-Gopro-HD-Hero-3-3-4-New-improved-design-/231284783682?hash=item35d9a5ba42

I know this isnt your model, but they can be got for very little.

Dont bother with glue it wont be as it was, and you will always worry of it snapping off again.
    Doesn't come out of the case unfortunately.
    Don't know why they designed it that way as I would have thought they would make more money selling cases for it.

When you fix it with epoxy resin, get a glue gun and surround the two pegs with a glue bubble nice and neat. Will re-enforce the fix and prevent un wanted vibrations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

blade1 wrote: »
    You think it will hold yeah?
    I don't want it coming off the bike at speed.

My brother was doing the Sean Kelly bicycle run and it snapped just from vibration on back roads.
    That was the first time it was ever used on a bike so pretty flimsy.

The cam doesn't come out of the case so it's useless if not fixed.

I've 'lost' 2 x GoPro doing marshalling - our roads are so sh!te they really take a hammering.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

He's after buying me a new one!
    I told him wait and see if it holds up gluing it.
    He can have it and hopefully it won't come apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd try and glue in a metal bracket alongside, to try and help reinforce it - little meccano bracket or something:

IMG_2004.JPG

Doesn't come out of the case unfortunately.
    Don't know why they designed it that way as I would have thought they would make more money selling cases for it.

really!

is this one of the new ones ? or old old ones? never seen them sealed in before.

listermint wrote: »
    really!

is this one of the new ones ? or old old ones? never seen them sealed in before.

Newish, they came out about a year ago.
    Balls of a system, even if the battery needs replacing you're screwed!

Newish, they came out about a year ago.
    Balls of a system, even if the battery needs replacing you're screwed!

Ouch. I know the ones now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Like the lads said, epoxy resin but follow the instructions to the letter and it'll never give you a bother again.

I got onto Go-Pro about it and they said send on a pic of the damage and proof of purchase.
    Waiting for them to get back to me.
    I wonder what they'll say??

In fairness they are absolutely excellent to deal with, as long as you have the proof of purchase. I sent back a GPH3+ with recording issues, was just over a year old. Got a brand spanking new one back with postage paid the lot in about a week!

In fairness they are absolutely excellent to deal with, as long as you have the proof of purchase. I sent back a GPH3+ with recording issues, was just over a year old. Got a brand spanking new one back with postage paid the lot in about a week!

Who covers postage cost?
    Do you think they'll take it back even though I glued it back together?

Who covers postage cost?
    Do you think they'll take it back even though I glued it back together?

Yep, Id say so. You were only trying to get the unit back to the state they failed to ensure. I got a pre paid label for posting it and they posted it back!

Yep, Id say so. You were only trying to get the unit back to the state they failed to ensure. I got a pre paid label for posting it and they posted it back!

Cool,it seems they only answer an email after 3 days so still waiting for them to answer back.

• Advertisement

Yeah once they open the case its pretty quick TBH.

Got ups label emailed to me so i can send back the cam.
    They said as soon as they receive it they will send out a replacement.

So looks like a similar system to Apple, where they just send out a recently returned and refurbed one and take in all the faulty ones and refurb them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

So looks like a similar system to Apple, where they just send out a recently returned and refurbed one and take in all the faulty ones and refurb them.

Seems like fairly good customer service IMO! Maybe another reason to go GoPro over their competitors!

Mine was brand new so depends on circumstances I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Their Customer Service people are usually pretty sound, I rang them after I wrecked a Hero Black 3+ (completely my fault) and held my hands up, asked if they offered a repair service (which I was willing to pay for) but they don't fix smashed units, they did offer me 30% off a brand new unit which I thought was pretty decent of them.

But on the flip side there are a hell of alot of problems with Go Pro units right across the board, so Id say that the majority of the cases once they have the proof of purchase they will do the bizzo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

I bought 2 of those and did a trip around back roads and they were solid. Could have been a case of him trying to nudge it without loosening the clamp. Plus cause it has no wifi etc I get 4hrs recording on a 32gb card without having to charge it at all.

I bought 2 of those and did a trip around back roads and they were solid. Could have been a case of him trying to nudge it without loosening the clamp. Plus cause it has no wifi etc I get 4hrs recording on a 32gb card without having to charge it at all.

Were u on a motorbike or bicycle?
    He was on a racing bicycle.
    I saw the footage of it breaking.
    It just got a bit wobbly and fell off.
    Bumpy road.
    I googled and it seems fairly common for the tab to snap off.

I also get 4hrs recording on 1080.
    Great battery life alright!

4 hrs holy fook batman.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Were u on a motorbike or bicycle?
    He was on a racing bicycle.
    I saw the footage of it breaking.
    It just got a bit wobbly and fell off.
    Bumpy road.
    I googled and it seems fairly common for the tab to snap off.

I also get 4hrs recording on 1080.
    Great battery life alright!

Yeah on a Motorbike, in fairness its a HD so I'm not going that fast. Had one on the handle bars and the other on the sissy bar about 4" off the ground. The road down to Fr Teds house across the Burran, really band road and it didn't budge. Was he using the rubber bands to get it tight on the mount? Other brothers had velcro'd theres and again no issues.

Advertisement