Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardman 2015

Options
  • 23-08-2015 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi folks, considering doing this next year.

Seems to be very low key which is fine but keen to get some feedback on the long distance event.

All opinion etc. very welcome, particularly on 2014/15. Finding it difficult to get much info on it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

I've done it 3 times - 2011; 2012 and 2014. It's very low key like you say and about as far from a continental IM as you can get. Swim is nice; bike is on open and at times busy roads on at times poor surfaces (it is Kerry!) and the run is a nice looped course in the national park.

Swim is in a fantastic lake and usually starts as the sun rises. Water is cold and dark! Course is really well marked out.

Bike is ROK in reverse. There are aid stations on the bike but it's very much a self sufficient ride. You can leave a feed bag to be collected at the halfway point. You have to be conscious of traffic in one or two spots. No mechanical support to speak of.

Run is on a mix of tar, concrete and sections of gravel in and around the national park (it's been a different route each year I've done it). Loads of aid stations and you can leave a feed bag to be passed a few times during the run. As it's laps allows your kids / supporters to see you a number of times and lots to keep kids busy in the park whilst waiting on you to finish.

If you've any questions pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mr Tony Stark

I did it at the weekend and its a fantastic race. Low Key. But its Hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

totally agree - my 2nd time doing it this year and it's a great race. Depends what you want from it really - this is lower key, about 100 participants, relaxed and laid back feel, quiet but beautiful bike course - you may only see a handful of other participants on the bike, open roads, some traffic in later villages, lovely 3 lap run in the national park. I'd definitely recommend it.

I have a race report done up. its long like the race. I will post it later when I get it straightened up a bit.

So here is the race report with some more details, I suppose I am revealing my name etc , so be it.

Please don't judge the writing style as I don't really write at all. This report was done to keep the memories fresh of a great race. I was asked to publish it so here you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Many thanks Mr Tony Stark...if that is your real name!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

So here is the race report with some more details, I suppose I am revealing my name etc , so be it.

Please don't judge the writing style as I don't really write at all. This report was done to keep the memories fresh of a great race. I was asked to publish it so here you are.
    A great read. Well done on getting there. It really shows the highs and lows you go through. It really is a roll a coaster of a day from start to finish.
    So the big question is when are you doing the next one ?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Great report. I still think its mad how you kept going ya Hard bastid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Fair play Tony! Great read, sounds like an epic fight. Well done again.

Great read - well done - it was a tough day down there. Remember seeing the Wexford tri suit on the run! Will you do it again!

• Advertisement

Great read - well done - it was a tough day down there. Remember seeing the Wexford tri suit on the run! Will you do it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Nice one Tony. I'm having a look at this for next year. Was to be this year, but I went down the road of sh1te courses instead - mistake. I need a project!!!

Great read and puts my reports to shame. The swim at Killarney (I did the Olympic there a few years ago) is fantastic. Must do it before my age tells me what age I really am!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Great read Mr Stark, really enjoyed that, you showed that convincing your head that you can keep going and dismiss the demons is just as important as the training, obviously doing a little more training would have helped but kudos on getting it done. I was thinking of writing up a report on last weekends challenge almere; after reading your report I might just go and do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Great account of a great journey ! Very very well done !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

kudos MTS, well done on both getting it done and in that style

I will leave it at this post as the thread is about the Hardman Race. I think a report something good to do, as even now the rose tinted glasses are over looking the pain and lows of the race. This I think leads to a nostalgic look at some races. I believe now to write it down as soon as possible. You can the look back honestly at what you did, and then appreciate your efforts better. Even if its a try a tri or an Deca Iron.

I am up for a challenge some time next year but I will do the Hardman again maybe in a couple of years.

The Hardman race I would really recommend. Its organised well by nice people. It is tough, but sure if it wasn't, everyone would be at it. Thanks for the comments .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

sorry late to the party Mr. Stark
    great report and kudos for not stopping and finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

Inspirational stuff Brendan.

Maybe Coach Kelly could share her coaching secrets for a sub 12 or even a sub 15 would do me

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

Just registered for 2016 on the back of all the good feedback above and value pricing.

Nothing like a new goal. Right, I'll be in the pool until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Just read that report - excellent. Thinking of doing it this year. Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement