Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting with sheep

Options
  • 23-08-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all was thinking about renting 5/6acres to have 25 ewes as a hobbie with a small income do ye think it is viable and what will I need to start up thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

I do it myself,you need to find a shed to rent,a sheep trailer + van/jeep,good fencing and some experience with a local sheep farmer.My uncle gave me experience working with sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sheep farmer 123

Thanks very much would be able to build shed and have jeep and box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Well your half way there then so

• Registered Users Posts: 16 PaddyPerfecto

Pick something easy lambed preferably for the first year or so and cut down on the labour at lambing, maybe older ewes -not too old either and maybe a Charlois or Texel ram to cross with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

Pick something easy lambed preferably for the first year or so and cut down on the labour at lambing, maybe older ewes -not too old either and maybe a Charlois or Texel ram to cross with them

Are texels easy lambs?

• Advertisement

DJ98 wrote: »
    Are texels easy lambs?

I find them easier than Suffolks anyway but you could find easier lambed I guess but run the risk of loads of triplets with Belclare or Lynn breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭DJ98

I find them easier than Suffolks anyway but you could find easier lambed I guess but run the risk of loads of triplets with Belclare or Lynn breeds

If you had mayo mountain ewes would you be inclined to use a belclare or texel ram?

DJ98 wrote: »
    If you had mayo mountain ewes would you be inclined to use a belclare or texel ram?

I would defo use a Texel on them myself, the Belclare are narrow boned, hard to put muscle or fat on, the Texel would add some conformation to the carcass, and are more docile! The Belclare are great maternally but u already have that with the Mayos anyway. U will end up bottle feeding loads of lambs at lambing time If you cross them with a Belclare and lots of small lambs which take up too much time!

Advertisement